When to change tips os S&S?

dvdkndy

because most who remove hand out LESS and try to justify.And you are correct the staff that gets half of what they should have are supposed to kiss the cheapos butt and thank them a million times to make the cheapos feel good. How sad

My guess is none at all. They conveniently forgot or didn't have change.

because most who remove hand out LESS and try to justify.And you are correct the staff that gets half of what they should have are supposed to kiss the cheapos butt and thank them a million times to make the cheapos feel good. How sad.

Did you know that 83.4% of statistics are made-up on the spot?

I think you may have been addressing my concern with your response--its not that we stay in the room alot--i dont like to get up early on my vacation.

We are usually stirring around 9-10am. Once I am up, we are out of the room till about 5 or 6--to take a nap--which is inevitably when the steward knocks again--assuming we are going to MDR--we really dont eat in MDR, except 1-2 nights on a 7 day. Will eat my way through the buffet, deli or burger place all day long:):) And supplement that with the ice cream--my six year old gets a years supply of ice cream in those 6-7 days:):)

There is an easy solution. They provide you with cards that you can place on the door. One says "Cruisin" which means "please make up my room" and the other says "Snoozin" meaning "do not disturb". Just post one or the other at ALL times and you won't EVER be disturbed while napping and the room will be made pristine twice per day. I'm sure the poster who's mother makes her bed and cleans up does so because her son does not want the room steward in the room and she is trying to please him. I'm a neat freak and don't like clutter left around even when on a cruise but I can't imagine any woman who would not enjoy letting someone else make the bed and clean the toilet for 1 week. Heck, being waited on is my favorite part of a cruise!!!

Me too! I double, NO! TRIPLE the auto tips and hand anybody in uniform a Krugerand.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it...

lol, a Kruger Rand.

Can I come carry your suitcase, what uniform shall I wear? AND, no fakes allowed please :D - I've been in the gold room at the SA Mint so I'll spot that fake a mile away.

I have no clue what the other posts state as I haven't read through this thread.

I am a firm believer in auto tips.

This is what we were told by cruise directors on both Princess and Carnival. This was a question I specifically asked at the Most Travelled Luncheon.

If you tip personally, the recipient has to turn the money over to the supervisor. They cannot keep the money. If the passenger giving the cash tip has left their auto tips intact, the recipient will be given the money. If the auto tips were removed, the money is "placed in a fund for distribution with the auto tips." Both CDs said most employees will not keep the cash tips since they will be terminated if discovered.

So, please leave your auto tips intact. These people work very hard to ensure a great experience for us.

If you can afford the cruise, you can afford the tips.

Shirley

This is the first I have heard of something like this.

Just so I understand what you said, let me repeat what I think I read.

If I tip my steward in cash but leave the auto tips on as well, they keep the cash and does not have to share. If I remove auto tips, my steward will have to share any cash I give him. Is this correct?

I guess my concern is that I always tip my room steward additional cash on a daily basis. If that tip had to be shared I would be very upset as the additional tip is not being distributed as I see fit.

This is the first I have heard of something like this.

Just so I understand what you said, let me repeat what I think I read.

If I tip my steward in cash but leave the auto tips on as well, they keep the cash and does not have to share. If I remove auto tips, my steward will have to share any cash I give him. Is this correct?

I guess my concern is that I always tip my room steward additional cash on a daily basis. If that tip had to be shared I would be very upset as the additional tip is not being distributed as I see fit.

I dont think they turn in cash given to them personally.I thought about this and just think about it ,Its you and your cabin steward in your cabin and you give him a $20 bill.No one else knows you gave him anything except you and him/her.I think that money goes into his pocket and not into a tip "pool".They are not part of a team like a bar that all the bartenders pool tips.Kind of like you go to a hotel and leave the housekeeper a $5 for the night she keeps that it isnt turned in to a supervisor to be split between housekeeping staff

actually, half filled mdr's on tip night only started when the lines began offering alternative dining on tip night. before that you had to starve on tip night unless you were bold enough to eat and then just walk out.

Back in those days I was bold enough. If the maitr d' never had any contact with me throughout the cruise, on the last night when he came with his hand out, I would shake it and say "Glad I got to meet you, Had I known who was my maitr d', I would have prepared a tip."

Now the servers were a differant story. They worked for their tip and always got them.

Back in those days I was bold enough. If the maitr d' never had any contact with me throughout the cruise, on the last night when he came with his hand out, I would shake it and say "Glad I got to meet you, Had I known who was my maitr d', I would have prepared a tip."

Now the servers were a differant story. They worked for their tip and always got them.

i liked when they came around and handed out the prints of the ships. i have all my treaures stored somewhere.

For those that can't respect it, oh well ! Theman is not saying he is not tipping, he is saying that he will tip directly and he has that right.. I always take mine off around mid cruise, but I will leave some on there and direct that it be split only for the behind the scenes crew members ( which you can do) and then I tip the rest myself and they usually end getting more then the auto tips the cruise line recommends. Remember judge not less you be judged..

You say this as if "tips" are something that is due them.

THAT is called salary. One EARNS tips; one is not DUE them.

I think many of the folks here are not against tipping per se but against Carnival forcing them to augment their pitiful salary policy.

I agree. It is more the sly way Carnival is making it seem like they are doing us a favor by having "auto tips." I like a choice and there is no evidence that people who have auto tips taken off are less then those who do not. For all we know they could be tipping more then what Carnival was asking in auto tips. Plus there are a lot of tips added to beverage service and other services throughout the ship that people pay automatically on top of the auto-tips. Being assertive does not mean one is cheap IMHO. :)

For those that can't respect it, oh well ! Theman is not saying he is not tipping, he is saying that he will tip directly and he has that right.. I always take mine off around mid cruise, but I will leave some on there and direct that it be split only for the behind the scenes crew members ( which you can do) and then I tip the rest myself and they usually end getting more then the auto tips the cruise line recommends. Remember judge not less you be judged..

so you are the same cheap sort you only pay the people you see. There are so many others who work for YOU that deserve tips! Stay home clean up after yourself, cheap people need not apply!

I think the cruise employees work their tails off and deserve those tips. They are on that ship day in and out working hard to make people's vacations as comfortable as possible. I can't fathom how a few hundred dollars in tips can be so controversal considering all the services automatically provided. I think if the shoe was on the other foot the complainers would be singing a different tune.

I also don't care how you rationalize. If you're already planning on removing tips you're just cheap. If you're getting bad service, then adjust them. But don't take away money from those behind the scenes who are working hard for you as well. I don't know how people can sleep at night, stiffing hard working people... leave the tips on.

:rolleyes:

i liked when they came around and handed out the prints of the ships. i have all my treaures stored somewhere.

:cool:I don't have mine stored somewhere!! :rolleyes: I have 3 hanging on my wall!!:D I do wish they kept doing that!!:( I even bought a tube to keep them for getting crushed! Only needed it once!

20 years one employer.I have heard and seen it all,Those are my stats.I can smell cheap people a mile away

I would think that would be self fulfilling. You think someone is going to be cheap, you treat them worse, they tip you worse, full circle.

I say please, thank you, call you sir or m'am if I want to get your attention....but I also wear a tshirt, shorts and/or jeans and sneakers everywhere except a funeral or wedding...would I fall into your cheap radar? What is the biggest sign of a cheapskate?

I mean this with all due respect, just curious. I think me a my best friend are very similar in appearance and attitude, but he is a cheap tipping bastard who drives me crazy. Just how I was raised I guess.

Agreed, but I have always had my head server (the matr'd d) come introduce themselves and say hi every night, atleast on all my Disney cruises.

Is that common on Carnival that you never see the head server?

I would think that would be self fulfilling. You think someone is going to be cheap, you treat them worse, they tip you worse, full circle.

I say please, thank you, call you sir or m'am if I want to get your attention....but I also wear a tshirt, shorts and/or jeans and sneakers everywhere except a funeral or wedding...would I fall into your cheap radar? What is the biggest sign of a cheapskate?

I mean this with all due respect, just curious. I think me a my best friend are very similar in appearance and attitude, but he is a cheap tipping bastard who drives me crazy. Just how I was raised I guess.

Agreed, but I have always had my head server (the matr'd d) come introduce themselves and say hi every night, atleast on all my Disney cruises.

I think it is very common on Carnival. In only 3 of our 21 cruises did the maitr d stop by and introduce themselves prior to the last day. Those were tipped, the others that stopped on the last day were not. Day 7 is to late to fix any issues I might have had during the week.

I think that is why Carnival no longer asks that you tip the maitr d. They are now considered salaried and are paid more than they used to be. Still, if one was active and out and about in the dining room, or handled a special request for me, I would tip them anyway.

I think it is very common on Carnival. In only 3 of our 21 cruises did the maitr d stop by and introduce themselves prior to the last day. Those were tipped, the others that stopped on the last day were not. Day 7 is to late to fix any issues I might have had during the week.

I think that is why Carnival no longer asks that you tip the maitr d. They are now considered salaried and are paid more than they used to be. Still, if one was active and out and about in the dining room, or handled a special request for me, I would tip them anyway.

Agreed.

This is a big debate on Disney Boards, because on Disney they are part of the tip pool. Many say if you never see them, they are still working behind the scenes for you and should be tipped. Not so sure about that; on our last cruise, our waiter was busy, and it happen to be the time of the meal where I head server stops by to say hi and is everything OK, and as the waiter put down DW's lobster, the head server sliced it for her. (he asked first)

I treat everyone the same but I can usually (almost always) tell who will tip nice or not at all regardless of what you wear or how you look.

for example bac parties. 15 girls who want to have a great time each want one beer with their credit/debit card,just sign with the big goose egg tip(my time is not free).It is what it is.Bartenders or servers should not work for free

I treat everyone the same but I can usually (almost always) tell who will tip nice or not at all regardless of what you wear or how you look.

for example bac parties. 15 girls who want to have a great time each want one beer with their credit/debit card,just sign with the big goose egg tip(my time is not free).It is what it is.Bartenders or servers should not work for free

I have heard that one before. I read several books written by former servers, they were fascinating. Basically they dont spit in the food of rude customers, but they might accidentally get espresso when they ordered decaf, or they will crop dust their table.

Would love to have a beer with you and hear some of your stories, bet you have a few

Archived