New Orleans

tiffy0428

OP, the porters don't check your bags. Carnival does.

I have never seen them too very strict in scanning carry ons...the usual....they look for liquids. You are allowed two bottles of wine, but they don't shake each and every bottle of water like they did when we sailed out of Galveston. As far as checked luggage, I have never had a problem. They even left a note in my bag that they opened it and searched it. They never found anything. ;) I suggest rum runners.

I found Carnival in New Orleans in June to be very aggressive in looking for smuggled alcohol. And they had tons of it which they found....

ETA: they did indeed shake everything and even sliced open each of our 12 packs of soda, even though we hadn't even opened the punch holes for your fingers.. The 12 pack was completely sealed shut and they still opened each one with a box cutter and took out every can and then put them back in and taped the 12 pack shut.

I once cruise and a lady said she was head of security in NOLA, if they have a cabin, apparantly folks from the port can get on the ship.

She said its naive to think they cant see all liquids. They simply dont have the staff to stop all smuggling. Sheer volumn.. so its a matter of luck. She said they are looking for anything dangerous ..and get some of the smuggling. they dont try to stop it all, they dont have the manpower.

How strict are the porters here? A friend of mine wants to smuggle and they asked me to come here for information for them.

The porters don't really care one way or another, it's security that x-rays luggage and confiscates items.

We used to be able to get most of our liquor onboard in New Orleans. The last 3 or 4 times we have been caught. No big deal. If they can open your suitcase they just take it if it is a sealed bottle and leave a note in your suitcase and you go and get it on the morning of the last day before you get off the ship. If they only find legit stuff, water, cokes etc they will just leave a note that they checked your luggage and everything was ok. We still bring some and if it makes it great, if not we always order a bottle from bon voyage anyway so why not try it anyway.

you don't loose anything.

OP, the porters don't check your bags. Carnival does.

I have never seen them too very strict in scanning carry ons...the usual....they look for liquids. You are allowed two bottles of wine, but they don't shake each and every bottle of water like they did when we sailed out of Galveston. As far as checked luggage, I have never had a problem. They even left a note in my bag that they opened it and searched it. They never found anything. ;) I suggest rum runners.

You are only allowed one 750ml bottle of wine per pax over 21. As to checking water - we sailed back in May of this year and NOLA was the most strict we have seen checking water. Every single bottle was being shaken.

However - my soon to be SIL and her hubby were successful in bringing on a bottle of rum with a metal cap. The brand new travel iron she packed in the same bag was taken, though......

We always pack our water and cokes in our checked luggage. We always get a note that they checked it but it always makes it to our room. Yes my SIL packed her wine also and it was taken away. When she questioned it they said that it needed to be in the carryon. They had no way of telling if she brought the allowed wine in her carry on and then brought on more in the checked luggage.

Archived