OK... How about those Pineapple ?

LeftcoastBC

I've done some searches through the forum and see various posts but I would like to get specifics. Being of a certain age and from Canada and about to see Hawaii for the first time there are a few MUST Do's.

I gotta see those pineapples growing :). It is apparent that the majors have pulled out of Hawaii but the "Dole" experience is left but kinda hit and miss with folks.

Does someone have that gem of a place they can share. A bonus would also include Macadamia trees.

Renting vehicles so getting there is not an issue.

On the Century & in the following Ports early NOV

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii (Tendered)

Hilo, (The Big Island) Hawaii (Docked)

Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii (Docked)

Kailua Kona, (The Big Island) Hawaii (Tendered)

Thanks

Just outside of Hilo town (on the way to VNP) you will see the entrance to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory. On the way in, you will drive through their huge orchard. I believe there are about 250,000 trees in this orchard. Very cool drive. Be sure and stop into the gift shop....there are loads of free samples. Even though we live here in Hilo, we stop in there every so often just for a free snack...LOL.

I'm going to ask a friend on Oahu about the time of year, but...my favorite place to see pineapples growing is on the road to the North Shore after you pass the Dole factory. I'm assuming that you want to see the pineapples when they are close to being "picked".? Our son has some in his yard in Hilo and I will ask if there is somewhere for you to see a large field of them. Cherie

Y'll need to secure a bank loan before you leave Canada as the pineapples in Hawaii will run you around $10 a piece.

I have been buying them in Toronto for no more than 1.99 granted there half the size but just as good. Most of the time there from Costa Rica with the Dole label or Del Monte.

Y'll need to secure a bank loan before you leave Canada as the pineapples in Hawaii will run you around $10 a piece.

I have been buying them in Toronto for no more than 1.99 granted there half the size but just as good. Most of the time there from Costa Rica with the Dole label or Del Monte.

I don't want to buy them I just want to see them growing....

:D

You can see the pineapples growing without having to pay anything at the Dole plantation. The area surrounding the gift shop has a little walk through garden with different types of pineapples growing. Then as a bonus if you want to pay something, there are other things you can do there as well.

If your goal is to see pineapples growing you will see that at the Dole Plantation. They will have examples of several different types of Pineapples. I think it gets bad reviews occasionally because people visit with unrealistic expectations of the place. They have a nice gift shop where you can pick up some nice items to take home. Be sure and order some Dole whip ( pineapple ice cream). Don't expecting it to be an all day excursion, but it is a great spot for a little shopping, refreshing snack and to see a small example of growing pineapples.

Have fun.

Just a note....bring a small umbrella. I have gotten stuck twice in downpours at the Dole Plantation.

Archived