Travelers Checks?

We're heading to Russia, Japan, China and South Korea this fall partly while cruising and looking at money plans. We'll have some foreign currency but had rather not carry a ton of cash all this way. We'll use credit cards for big purchases including hotels but will have to pay cash for some things like guides and other items. Thinking about time tested t-checks but haven't used them in some time. How difficult are they to cash nowadays?

I don't like the idea of using debit cards for my bank accounts as they do not offer the same protection as c cards and could be an issue especially overseas. Been there and seen that!

Could buy cash cards I suppose but not sure how easy it is to use at ATMs?

What's everyone here doing these days?

We do travelers checks , ship can cash the travelers checks, we mostly do caribbean and american money is good any place there, I would try to find a money exchange close to where you live and get some money for each of the countries you will be visiting. Remember there normally is a foreign transation fee added to credit card purchaces on most but not all credit card.

What about the new pre-loaded cash cards? I know AmEx do them, and some TA's. You load the card with as much as you want, then you can use it directly to pay for goods/services, or draw cash from a cash-point/ATM,

We're heading to Russia, Japan, China and South Korea this fall partly while cruising and looking at money plans. We'll have some foreign currency but had rather not carry a ton of cash all this way. We'll use credit cards for big purchases including hotels but will have to pay cash for some things like guides and other items. Thinking about time tested t-checks but haven't used them in some time. How difficult are they to cash nowadays?

I don't like the idea of using debit cards for my bank accounts as they do not offer the same protection as c cards and could be an issue especially overseas. Been there and seen that!

Could buy cash cards I suppose but not sure how easy it is to use at ATMs?

What's everyone here doing these days?

I wouldn't worry about using a debit card. I was in Moscow 6 years ago. There was a Citibank on every corner. Ok, alternating with McDonalds and Sbarro pizza, of all things!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cant we simply use our Mastercard or visa cards while travelling abroad?

yes , but check with your credit card company on " foreign transation fee added to credit card purchaces " this can add 5 percent or so to everything you buy, some credit cards do not have them

Archived