Charleston port/VIP check in question

btwoncruiser

We're leaving a week from today on the Fantasy, from Charleston. I am platinum, but my boyfriend is not. I've been searching through the boards and such to find more information about the terminal, with not a lot of luck.

With the new VIFP program, we will both still be allowed to do VIP check-in, right? The cruise is booked under my name, and luggage tags and such say VIP.

Also, how is security at Charleston? When we sailed out of Baltimore this February, it was easy breezy. All our rum runners got on no problem, and almost immediately (this was my 1st platinum cruise). Going through check in security, faster than fast. We had purchased 20 ounce bottles of soda that we had in our carry on, along with a bottle each of wine. Bottles were loose (we raided Costco and bought them out of the vending machine-fun experience there). When we went through the security line, they barely even looked! We said we had soda and she barely looked at the bag. We could've gotten all sorts of stuff through on carry ons.

Question is- is Charleston like this? Will we be able to get through security with no issues at all? Perhaps even stash a few RR's in carry on? Do you think the lax security was due to platinum status? Or just the way the port of Baltimore is?

Thanks in advance!

We sailed out of Charleston in December 2011, we brought on 2 twelve packs of soda, they opened both twelve packs and checked every can. Security was opening up peoples water cases and shaking every bottle, carefully checking wine bottles. I would not put rum runners in carry-ons at this port. Tables were filled with confiscated booze as we walked down down thru security area.

Our neighbors on the ship and their friends made it on with a full array of rum runners in their checked luggage.

We went thru in May and same as above poster. They will check every bottle, can, wine bottle. I have actually put a true metal flask in the checked luggage without even thinking about it and never got the naughty call.

Yes both of you will do VIP... Charleston is unlike any other terminal right now in that you cannot "walk" up. You are staged about 100-200 yards from the entrance, put on buses and then dropped off at the entrance. It is crowded control and security all rolled into one. Once thru security there is a separate line (sorry no room) for VIP and then on to the the ship.

Check out this great thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1605466

Thanks for the quick responses!

Good to know about check in security. We'll stick with the allowable wine and soda in carry ons. When we cruised out of Miami, our suitcase with 2 rum runners was opened and they were confiscated. Now I stick with just 1 per suitcase. But perhaps I'll take a gamble and try 2 in one suitcase again.

I don't mind not having a VIP room-as long as I'm on the ship quickly, I'm happy. Gotta soak up as much time as we can on this one. Never been on anything less than 7 days, so I'm sure the 5 is going to go by quickly!

Thanks again! :-)

One thing about the buses... no one gets to the terminal before the ship is ready to board... so once off the bus and thru security (don't remember a VIP security but may be one) you wait in the VIP line should be very short, we bypassed the "welcome aboard" pics and started up the stairs and incline to the ship. There is a LONG walk up an incline to the ship entrance, make sure you carry-on is wheeled!

I think it switched back 3 or 4 times? You are so excited to get ON the ship you don't realized what that "wheezing" sound is... It's YOU:eek:

HAHA! That's funny Bob!

Security is pretty tight in Charleston in 2010 it wasnt that bad as I think they were working out the bugs but our "water" (ahem) got confiscated and tossed in the garbage right before our eyes. :(

The only upside to that is that it made the ascent easier since we didnt have to wheel that 12 pack of water uphill. :o

Good to know! We usually do a backpack or duffel bag for carry on...Good thing I just bought all new luggage. Will use the little wheeled one.

Agreed-usually the walk onto the ship goes pretty quickly...walking back off...slower than molasses!

Security is pretty tight in Charleston in 2010 it wasnt that bad as I think they were working out the bugs but our "water" (ahem) got confiscated and tossed in the garbage right before our eyes. :(

The only upside to that is that it made the ascent easier since we didnt have to wheel that 12 pack of water uphill. :o

Thats a HaHa also!!!! :D:);)

Also, please just stop at any of the 100 Wal-Marts here. (seriously, I have 7 within 10 minutes of my driveway)

I always buy my 20 oz sodas there before each cruise.

Has to be much cheaper than out of a inexpensive vending machine anywhere.

Enjoy your stop here in Charleston.

We are on this ship Tuesday as well. I wish these people would just build a cruise terminal, they can decorate the outside to look real old and fit in.

I am hoping the bus takes the luggage - does anyone know??

"these people" are trying to build a beautiful, state of the art, terminal.

But the wealthy d-bags who live near the pier and unscrupulous developers, hiding behind "green" issues with cruiseships are trying to block it.

Sadly those two (extremely in the minority) groups have the money to drag things out.

While the 95% of area residents who appreciate the jobs created and added income to area hotels and restaurants have to let the city to fight these "people" in court.

If it wasn't for the lawsuits, the terminal would be halfway done by now.

(the terminal plans and parks created by the project around it are gorgeous.)

Bill

Sailed out of Charleston many times as VIP. After you get off of the bus you get in a security/scanner line. They will scan your carryon and items from your purse/pockets. Yes they will shake all water bottles, closely check wine and soda bottles. If VIP you will then take single line to the left marked VIP. At the end of this line a lady will stop you and wave others by you that already have their sail and sign cards. Then you will be directed to the next available check in counter. They will check you in and go get your VIP card. We have never stood at the counter with the large VIP sign to be processed. Not a problem it is still quick and fairly painless. After you are processed you get to walk up a long flight of stairs or you can take a small elevator to second level of terminal. Once there you get your picture taken for S&S card, then you do the long and winding walk to board the Fantasy.

The boarding process in Charleston is pretty painless. There are several steps involved, but nothing that doesn't fly by. From the time you park your card to the time you board will fly by.

I agree with the plans for the new terminal. The drawings for it are gorgeous! If we can just get out of court over it and get started, it would be great!

I am hoping the bus takes the luggage - does anyone know??

The ONLY luggage allowed on the bus are your carry-ons. I have heard of people only having carry-ons but big luggage is not accepted, (about the same as what is accepted on a plane)during the process there is a place to drop off checked luggage - when driving there will be stop to drop it off prior to parking the car - when flying and in a cab/van/limo there again will be a place to drop off luggage - and if you are dropped off at the terminal (Well close to it) there is a place to put checked luggage.

Archived