Norway cruise - pools question

PeglegJ

Hi all

Thinking of Fjords trip with Eclipse next summer.

I know the weather will be cool but does anyone know if the pool is warm enough for my 10 yearold to swim if she got swiftly warmed and changed after? Are children ever allowed to use the inside one if it is very cold outside? We sailed on the Eclipse last year but didn't give this any thought as it was a Med cruise!

Many thanks

PeglegJ x

Hi all. Thinking of Fjords trip with Eclipse next summer. I know the weather will be cool but does anyone know if the pool is warm enough for my 10 yearold to swim if she got swiftly warmed and changed after? Are children ever allowed to use the inside one if it is very cold outside? We sailed on the Eclipse last year but didn't give this any thought as it was a Med cruise! Many thanks PeglegJ x

Which specific date are you planning for this cruise? The July weather is generally best in this scenic area. How far north are you planning to travel? Lots of variables and factors to consider. Tell us more!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 97,780 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,401 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry

Its the August 3rd 2013 one with Eclipse - Departing from Southampton, England; Reykjavik, Iceland; Akureyri, Iceland; Klaksvik, Faroe Islands; Geiranger, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Olden, Norway; Stavanger, Norway; Southampton, England.

Your photos have helped to swing it!

My daughter has just told me she doesn't mind as the Eclipse is so fantastic adn she loves the kids club bless her but it would be good to know.

Pegleg x

We were on the Connie for the fjords cruise this past June/July. There were a couple of warm days where the pools were used. Also, there were certain hours when younger guests could use the T-pool which is heated.

Hi Terry. Its the August 3rd 2013 one with Eclipse - Departing from Southampton, England; Reykjavik, Iceland; Akureyri, Iceland; Klaksvik, Faroe Islands; Geiranger, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Olden, Norway; Stavanger, Norway; Southampton, England. Your photos have helped to swing it! My daughter has just told me she doesn't mind as the Eclipse is so fantastic adn she loves the kids club bless her but it would be good to know. Pegleg x

Appreciate the follow-up and added info. Glad to know that my pictures "helped to swing it!".

On your cruise, it's a fairly long one at 14 days with five of those being sea days. We have not been to Iceland, but it does take some time getting there and then going to Norway. As an example, per http://www.wunderground.com, on August 6, 2012, in Reykjavik, Iceland, it was a high of 59 °F and a low of 48 °F on that specific date earlier this month. On average for that specific date it is a high of 53 °F and a low of 45 °F. In recent weather history, the high on that date was 64 °F (2003) and a low of 44 °F (2000). Not exactly warm, outdoor swimming weather. From this site, you can check other city and the weather history for there on the dates you will be in that city or port.

You will love Geiranger. Hope you go "up country" from that small village port. Below is one photo example for Alesund to build up your excitement. We did not visit Olden or Stavanger. Too bad your cruise won't be stopping in Bergen. Do that on your next cruise to Norway and go farther up that scenic coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 97,780 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,401 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Thanks guys. I guess what I meant more was if the pools themselves are warm, I am expecting a certain chill factor in the air.

Thanks Syrreal - I heard that on colder cruises they sometimes give children an hour inside. No worries if not - I personally have always enjoyed the fact they are child free!

Pegleg

x

Don't know about the Eclipse, but on Connie I believe the hours that kids were allowed were between noon and 4 or something like that.

If you get the chance to do the Briksdal glacier hike in Olden, do it. It was my absolutely favorite tour that we did.

This was on the way to the glacie hike

IMG_1163.jpg

This was one of the first glances of the glacier on the way up

IMG_1195.jpg

Hi Terry

Its the August 3rd 2013 one with Eclipse - Departing from Southampton, England; Reykjavik, Iceland; Akureyri, Iceland; Klaksvik, Faroe Islands; Geiranger, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Olden, Norway; Stavanger, Norway; Southampton, England.

Your photos have helped to swing it!

My daughter has just told me she doesn't mind as the Eclipse is so fantastic adn she loves the kids club bless her but it would be good to know.

Pegleg x

We were on this cruise a couple of weeks ago. A few of the days were quite warm but mostly it was windy and cool. There were kids in the pool most days. There were a couple of days they had nets over them. Have a great cruise. We had a wonderful time.

mummsie

Weather is of course variable from year to year. We did Norway in 2006. It was very warm, bordering on hot. Geiranger was spectacular. In the pool for the sailaway. Gorgeous blue sky day. Wonderful memories. Hopefully your weather will be as good.

I did the Equinox to Norway in July of 2009. The weather was sweater weather the entire cruise. The kids are allowed to use the indoor pool on Solstice in the Baltics and Norway. The kids HAVE to be with a parent in the pool however. They can't be in there jumping and causing problems. You will get dirty looks because the adults aren't aware that kids are allowed in there. After our first dip in the indoor pool- he never wanted to go back.

Having said that- we had an absolute ball on that cruise. The kids have so much fun on Celebrity.

Hi

Just off the Eclipse Iceland, Norway cruise with 2 children. The solarium indoor pool had a set time for family use i.e. from 9 to 10 am and from 5 to 7pm. This is specified in the daily programme for every day of the cruise. I took this along with me the first time we attended a family session in case anyone objected but there was no need as the pool attendant welcomed families at the correct times.

As has already been said, we had glorious weather and the outdoor pools were also well used for most of the cruise.

Hope that helps - ask away if there are any more questions.

Have a great time it was a wonderful experience.

Children are not allowed in the indoor pool, but can use the jacuzzi whirlpool tubs by the outdoor pool if supervised.

Celebrity does allow children in the Solarium pool on cool or bad weather days.

From the website:

* During inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool (if covered) to be used by persons under age sixteen (16) provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian.

It is difficult to advise on what weather to expect as I believe it is very unpredictable and can change quickly. This year on the Eclipse's 4th August Iceland and Norway, the weather was excellent - sunny and over 20 degrees Centigrade by lunchtime most days. We tended to wear t-shirts and carry a fleece and waterproof jacket in a backpack when we were off the ship, just in case.

Hope you are as lucky with the weather next year.

Just got home from this cruise Saturday. The outdoor pools are heated saw lots of kids swimming but on sea days the wind in the North Atlantic was strong and for the most part cloudy. Port were outstanding enjoyed Norway because we did a lot of hiking on our own.

Hi all

Thinking of Fjords trip with Eclipse next summer.

I know the weather will be cool but does anyone know if the pool is warm enough for my 10 yearold to swim if she got swiftly warmed and changed after? Are children ever allowed to use the inside one if it is very cold outside? We sailed on the Eclipse last year but didn't give this any thought as it was a Med cruise!

Many thanks

PeglegJ x

Peg,

We took this cruise on the Eclipse this past May. The pools were open but it is up to you if you want to use it.We thought it too cold. One or 2 days ther were only a few in the pool and for a brief time. We did see folks in the pool. Being Summer will make a difference, I am sure.

Archived