The Dawn of my change or the change of my Dawn? 8/3/12 Bermuda Sailing

coka

The Dawn of my change or the change of my Dawn? 8/3/12 Bermuda Sailing :D

No longer afraid of driving in Boston, I packed only one suitcase to board a last minute cruise to Bermuda from there to board the Norwegian Dawn. Everything in the suitcase was a few sizes bigger than last time sailing her except for my mostly flat shoes few that were few in number. Who knew that I-89 South, I-93 South, and the Purchase Street exit would lead right to the Black Falcon Terminal? August 3rd, 2012 was a hot humid sunny beautiful morning and everyone was in good spirits as the cars bustled about while the porters whisked suitcases away. I kept a swim suit in my backpack to hit the pool upon arrival. This fifth time on the Dawn and this 36th Norwegian cruise was going to be different for me. We have both changed a bit since seeing each other last. Since I strive to be the over 40 woman that the late Andy Rooney loves, I’ll write in the same way as my last review on the Jewel. It was fast, convenient, and accomplished in only a few posts!

Oh My Goodness, Was I Even on a Cruise Ship?

Captain Paul Von Knorring gets all the credit for the perfect weather. Never have I seen the calmest seas ever in a seven day stretch. The flat level ocean water’s glass like reflection made for the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets from the horizon. Even the sound of the starboard and port wake was minimal…just a minor mellow ever so gentle swiiiiiiish…including a lengthy timing between each one. My inside stateroom 12041 is located on deck 12 forward. I never felt any movement as the seas cooperated and we remained between two frontal systems that assisted with the serenity. Other than getting to spend a lot of time with Jimswims’ family, the first talked about regarding the week overall was indeed the weather and the beauty of the ocean. The second most talked about was the return of the beef!

The Beef Is Finally Found!

I have wondered the last 20 months or so where the Norwegian beef had been coming from. Food is all subjective but I must admit the last four or five cruises taken with them I noticed a difference in taste than many sailings with them prior. On this sailing a marked improvement in flavor and quality existed. The first thing I ordered in the Venetian dining room on embarkation day was the steak. It was the steak of how I remembered years ago. Yummy yummy yummy! I also had the tenderloin in Le Bistro, the Ribeye in La Cuchina Italian restaurant, and the prime rib in Cagneys as the week progressed. I did not go to Moderno restaurant because hey, I turned 49 this week, and my digestion and metabolism is not what it used to be!

ALFIE’S ABS in the AM was AWESOME!

It would have been better if cutie pie Alfie removed his sweat suit top so we could actually see his abs. I am sure we would have worked harder in the morning classes for this fitness instructor. A goal for this trip was for me to learn some new ways to strengthen my core, to get a workout routine going again, and to begin to find my shape that I lost since quitting smoking two years ago. Mother nature is involved too but I am damning her and not involving her in my excuse.

I went to some of the workout classes and even got out of bed early most mornings in order to attend. My inspiration also came from one feature of cabin 12041: the triple mirrors. I originally thought someone else was naked in the room with me when I first saw my backside because surely that could not have been me. I wished it was the Dawn’s ghost instead. The reflection alone was motivation enough to go to morning stretch, awesome abs, Zumba with Gigi, total body conditioning, a special hula hoop class, and to take the stairs and to walk everywhere. Promenade walks in the morning and promenade walks in the early evening also helped. All classes I attended were fun and free.

Out and About Onboard

One thing I looked forward to this trip was knowing I would spend little time in my inside cabin other than to sleep and to nap. I loved the pool area with the atrium like seating! I loved that my cabin was closer to the pool than the pool area restroom was! The music by the pool was fantastic too. JOY band is the Caribbean band onboard and when they did not play, the DJ or the guest DJ spun music. Once in a great while the soundtrack system played and all was good. As a solo cruiser, I never had an issue finding a lounge chair. If you do not want the bustle of the pool area, then deck 13 and 14 forward were quieter.

A little secret to test out: If you want total quiet in the late afternoon…go to the kids pool in the back of the ship…they all disappear around 5-6pm to get ready for dinner and the view of the ocean is amazing from there. Don’t be a creeper and hang around the pool if families are there. If all are gone, then use the chairs higher up on the sides to view the ocean. The other quiet option are the loungers on the promenade deck. I joined the elderly out there the last day at sea from 4-7pm.

Norwegians love Wine

I noticed some specials throughout this sailing. Some found wine coupons on face book and could get a complimentary bottle. If two or more people in your party booked a specialty restaurant within the first hour of opening (around 5 to 6 ish), then a complimentary house bottle of wine was offered. Wine was plentiful at the latitudes party and at the party for silver/gold/platinum’s. If you have the opportunity to any of the above, take the Tisdale Merlot. Those of us who had a few sips found it surprisingly good!

Norwegians Love Perks

Did you book a future cruise during the week in July when they had the special where an inside booking gets a bottle of wine, an ocean view gets a wine and strawberries, a balcony gets wine, strawberries, and La Cuchina, something like that? The higher the category the more plentiful the perk. If you did, make sure it says it somewhere on your reservation. Mine said “events” but Miami office told ship reception who left me a voice mail message that I was not entitled to it. Now I know I was watching the prices like a hawk and booked on July 17 during this promotion. I know the guy I booked with online said it came with wine. I laid awake all night wondering if I was nuts or not. Oh dear, did reception think I made this up? Do they think I was scamming them when I inquired? I worried for Norwegian if some glitch occurred. I prayed to stop being so worried for Norwegian.

At week’s end I inquired further about the no-wine-for-me at reception desk when I got a printout of my onboard account. A rep from Miami office told them it was because I sailed on a reduced price. Reduced price? I paid double as a solo. Then I thought about it some more. The only thing I surmise from this is that I used a Future Cruise Credit which lowered my double fare by 250 dollars and I used 15,000 Bank of America points to reduce it by another 150 dollars. In the end, I was happy I was not nuts and not making it up. So double check your promotion in case it gets canceled out if you use your credit card points or FCC.

Coka loved playing Deal or No Deal and BINGO!

What a lot of fun! The ship Deal or no Deal is very similar to the television show. Two games are played and a player from the audience is picked for each to go up on stage and select a suitcase of unknown cash. The audience plays along for the two games with our one card purchased for 19.95 each. Three matches on the audience card and higher can win prizes which you redeem afterwards. Any cash won is awarded directly to your onboard account and the computer screen on stage gives the numbers of who has won. On this sailing, the two audience members selected onstage walked away with a considerable sum of money. They kept playing and the audience helped them decide. Overall, it was different, it was fun, and it was interactive. I definitely would play again on all future sailings.

I played Bingo because I happened to be cashing in my deal or no deal card for winning krackit tickets. The final bingo prize was 1700 dollars. When I looked around in Spinnaker’s Lounge, there were very few people present. The odds looked good to me and it was worth the 39.90 to play three cards for three games. The other options were more cards for more dollars. Like a power ball ticket, it only takes one to win so I went with the least costly. I did not win but it was worth the 40 bucks for the chance to win the big one. The final game ended up paying out 1900 dollars and the guy who won was very happy!

Either my humor has changed or Second City is now FUNNY!

Having tried many times to find second city funny, I gave up on them years ago and stopped going to their shows. I read on Cruise critic the material is now new and the troupes are too. OH MY…I actually had tears of laughter …seriously…tears of laughter coming down my face during their big show in the Star Dust Theater. I still laugh out loud when I reminisce a particular scene. I am laughing now as I type.

The Food I Remember Loving the Most:

The FRUIT PLATE and cottage cheese in the Venetian dining room during breakfast. There was something about the fruit on this sailing that was succulent! It was even better served to me and I ate most mornings in this restaurant. Very quiet atmosphere and I had great seats at the tables for two near or at the windows!

The CREPE in the Garden Café dinner buffet. I mixed mine with strawberry and chocolate. Whip cream topper. YUMMMMMY!

The WINGS at the Blue Lagoon on deck 8 mid ship. I went there mid afternoon and decided upon the wings after two teenagers told me they were just finishing their third plate. We talked forever and it did not matter we had sauce all over our faces and hands by the time we were all done.

The CHICKEN MARSALA one night in Aqua Restaurant. The dining room menus have a chef specialty each night. The executive chef on this sailing was from India and I also liked the Indian dishes in the buffet. I was warned it was a spicy dish and I replied I liked spicy and it did not disappoint.

The made to order PASTA in the Garden Café. Their marinara sauce had an extra zip to it than years past. I had a half serving of penne pasta with garlic and broccoli.

The little CRAB CAKES in the Garden Café. I went back three times for more. And I hate crab cakes! The two words just do not seem to go together but the ones on this sailing were great!

THE VITALITY JUICE MACHINE! Hooray hooray hooray for Norwegian! Kudos for bringing this onto the ship! The ice tea was ice tea. The lemonade was lemonade. The strawberry kiwi flavored water was refreshing. The Mango flavor was good too. Even all four of them mixed together tasted good! The best part about the flavored waters is that they were zero calories. Do not worry about sugar drinks for your kids. No need to bring our own crystal lite packets to mix with water anymore either. The orange juice in all machines had pulp in them. Thank you!

BAMBOO RESTAURANT! With exception to dessert, almost anything on their menu! I finally sailed with people who wanted to go to this restaurant! The most overlooked restaurant in the Norwegian fleet, there is a reason this restaurant is usually an officer and cruise staff favorite. Everything is great! Lettuce wraps, rice noodles, veggie/chicken combinations along with a variety of other Asian selections.

MY LITTLE BIRTHDAY MUFFIN DELIVERED TO MY CABIN. It sat there for a few days because it looked strange. A blueberry muffin with a creamy frosting. Tiny marshmallows placed atop the frosting with chocolate strips sealing them in. A happy birthday note from my Norwegian family accompanied it. I chuckled thinking if I am family, then give me the rate! Two days later on a late night return to my cabin, that little blueberry with marshmallow and chocolate topping muffin was the BEST combination of flavors EVER! Who knew? LOL.

The VEGETABLE ENTRÉE in Le Bistro. I think it is the only thing on the menu I never ordered over the years. You gotta love portabella mushrooms and you gotta love goat cheese. I was glad I tried something different the second time we ate there. For dessert, I still went for vanilla ice cream with the chocolate fondue sauce…not on the menu…but will serve as a special request. Get in a bowl for the full effect of creating a polar bar or Klondike bar. If served in the sundae dish, the effect is minimized.

To Keep The Review Fair, The Food I Gagged On

Just one item. The rice pudding dessert in Bamboo. It reminded me of a time I tried to impress Mr. coka back in 1982 when he first took me ice fishing and I said, “Yeah, I can put those poked out perch eyes underneath my tongue…”

So much for my goal, huh? haha. SO WHAT ABOUT BERMUDA? That is up next! I’ll see you after work tomorrow! Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer…or others can answer too!

coka;)

Enjoying your review so far and can't wait to hear more. I am also cruising solo in Nov on the Dawn. I am hoping to meet some nice folks to spend a little time with, especially for dinner. I don't mind traveling alone, but don't like eating alone. Seems you had some friends to join in with. What have your solo experiences been in the past?

<< Hugs >> to you in advance for the info I know will be beneficial for my Bermuda sailing next year on Norwegian Breakaway . . . as well as my first sailing on Norwegian Dawn next year from Tampatown. :)

Never been to Bermuda, so I'm a big sponge for all the info I can gather.

Thanks!!!!

:D . . . . :D . . . . :D

You did it! Thank you for writing your review. Long or short, you have a style that it unmatched. I loved it. You present honest facts with a flair of humor! Well done!

I am still laughing at that Second City skit. I never found them funny either until this cruise. Hopefully others will also recognize the benefits of seeing them and using one of the skits when snorkeling the next day :) It worked for us.

Coka I am loving your review. I can't believe they did not honor you with a bottle of wine. NCL really missed the boat on that one. Hope they read cc and realize you are always their ambassador of good will. I know for a fact you have in the past picked up on the decks when staff was not on top of it. You have always been there for them 36? cruises. Anxious to read the rest of your review soon.

Hi Coka,

Been awaiting your review since I read Jimsims' tales. As I mentioned to Jim, thanks again for the kind words last year.

You are right about the weather, it must be Captain Paul. We have been on a couple of sailings with him and the weather always cooperated, with calm seas almost like glass.

Funny about the ghost comment, whom some say may be Poor Mindy. My family was on that unfortunate sailing and the weather during that sailing was not the best. Captain Paul was not on the ship during that sailing.

Glad that you enjoyed another trip with jimswims and his family and belated happy birthday to you and his wife. I aked jimswims if there was a late night swim on this trip and he indicated there is an adventure for you to tell. ???

I think you will actually win the infamous, coveted champagne bottle if we were on a cruise together. We used to be ahead a little bit of you, I think you might have caught up during our 18 month sabbatical.:D

Fingers crossed, we will resume our quest in October on the Star to Bermuda. It is one of our favorite destinations.

Thanks for sharing and please keep it coming.

The Dawn of my change or the change of my Dawn? 8/3/12 Bermuda Sailing :D

No longer afraid of driving in Boston, I packed only one suitcase to board a last minute cruise to Bermuda from there to board the Norwegian Dawn. Everything in the suitcase was a few sizes bigger than last time sailing her except for my mostly flat shoes few that were few in number. Who knew that I-89 South, I-93 South, and the Purchase Street exit would lead right to the Black Falcon Terminal? August 3rd, 2012 was a hot humid sunny beautiful morning and everyone was in good spirits as the cars bustled about while the porters whisked suitcases away. I kept a swim suit in my backpack to hit the pool upon arrival. This fifth time on the Dawn and this 36th Norwegian cruise was going to be different for me. We have both changed a bit since seeing each other last. Since I strive to be the over 40 woman that the late Andy Rooney loves, I’ll write in the same way as my last review on the Jewel. It was fast, convenient, and accomplished in only a few posts!

Oh My Goodness, Was I Even on a Cruise Ship?

Captain Paul Von Knorring gets all the credit for the perfect weather. Never have I seen the calmest seas ever in a seven day stretch. The flat level ocean water’s glass like reflection made for the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets from the horizon. Even the sound of the starboard and port wake was minimal…just a minor mellow ever so gentle swiiiiiiish…including a lengthy timing between each one. My inside stateroom 12041 is located on deck 12 forward. I never felt any movement as the seas cooperated and we remained between two frontal systems that assisted with the serenity. Other than getting to spend a lot of time with Jimswims’ family, the first talked about regarding the week overall was indeed the weather and the beauty of the ocean. The second most talked about was the return of the beef!

The Beef Is Finally Found!

I have wondered the last 20 months or so where the Norwegian beef had been coming from. Food is all subjective but I must admit the last four or five cruises taken with them I noticed a difference in taste than many sailings with them prior. On this sailing a marked improvement in flavor and quality existed. The first thing I ordered in the Venetian dining room on embarkation day was the steak. It was the steak of how I remembered years ago. Yummy yummy yummy! I also had the tenderloin in Le Bistro, the Ribeye in La Cuchina Italian restaurant, and the prime rib in Cagneys as the week progressed. I did not go to Moderno restaurant because hey, I turned 49 this week, and my digestion and metabolism is not what it used to be!

ALFIE’S ABS in the AM was AWESOME!

It would have been better if cutie pie Alfie removed his sweat suit top so we could actually see his abs. I am sure we would have worked harder in the morning classes for this fitness instructor. A goal for this trip was for me to learn some new ways to strengthen my core, to get a workout routine going again, and to begin to find my shape that I lost since quitting smoking two years ago. Mother nature is involved too but I am damning her and not involving her in my excuse.

I went to some of the workout classes and even got out of bed early most mornings in order to attend. My inspiration also came from one feature of cabin 12041: the triple mirrors. I originally thought someone else was naked in the room with me when I first saw my backside because surely that could not have been me. I wished it was the Dawn’s ghost instead. The reflection alone was motivation enough to go to morning stretch, awesome abs, Zumba with Gigi, total body conditioning, a special hula hoop class, and to take the stairs and to walk everywhere. Promenade walks in the morning and promenade walks in the early evening also helped. All classes I attended were fun and free.

Out and About Onboard

One thing I looked forward to this trip was knowing I would spend little time in my inside cabin other than to sleep and to nap. I loved the pool area with the atrium like seating! I loved that my cabin was closer to the pool than the pool area restroom was! The music by the pool was fantastic too. JOY band is the Caribbean band onboard and when they did not play, the DJ or the guest DJ spun music. Once in a great while the soundtrack system played and all was good. As a solo cruiser, I never had an issue finding a lounge chair. If you do not want the bustle of the pool area, then deck 13 and 14 forward were quieter.

A little secret to test out: If you want total quiet in the late afternoon…go to the kids pool in the back of the ship…they all disappear around 5-6pm to get ready for dinner and the view of the ocean is amazing from there. Don’t be a creeper and hang around the pool if families are there. If all are gone, then use the chairs higher up on the sides to view the ocean. The other quiet option are the loungers on the promenade deck. I joined the elderly out there the last day at sea from 4-7pm.

Norwegians love Wine

I noticed some specials throughout this sailing. Some found wine coupons on face book and could get a complimentary bottle. If two or more people in your party booked a specialty restaurant within the first hour of opening (around 5 to 6 ish), then a complimentary house bottle of wine was offered. Wine was plentiful at the latitudes party and at the party for silver/gold/platinum’s. If you have the opportunity to any of the above, take the Tisdale Merlot. Those of us who had a few sips found it surprisingly good!

Norwegians Love Perks

Did you book a future cruise during the week in July when they had the special where an inside booking gets a bottle of wine, an ocean view gets a wine and strawberries, a balcony gets wine, strawberries, and La Cuchina, something like that? The higher the category the more plentiful the perk. If you did, make sure it says it somewhere on your reservation. Mine said “events” but Miami office told ship reception who left me a voice mail message that I was not entitled to it. Now I know I was watching the prices like a hawk and booked on July 17 during this promotion. I know the guy I booked with online said it came with wine. I laid awake all night wondering if I was nuts or not. Oh dear, did reception think I made this up? Do they think I was scamming them when I inquired? I worried for Norwegian if some glitch occurred. I prayed to stop being so worried for Norwegian.

At week’s end I inquired further about the no-wine-for-me at reception desk when I got a printout of my onboard account. A rep from Miami office told them it was because I sailed on a reduced price. Reduced price? I paid double as a solo. Then I thought about it some more. The only thing I surmise from this is that I used a Future Cruise Credit which lowered my double fare by 250 dollars and I used 15,000 Bank of America points to reduce it by another 150 dollars. In the end, I was happy I was not nuts and not making it up. So double check your promotion in case it gets canceled out if you use your credit card points or FCC.

Coka loved playing Deal or No Deal and BINGO!

What a lot of fun! The ship Deal or no Deal is very similar to the television show. Two games are played and a player from the audience is picked for each to go up on stage and select a suitcase of unknown cash. The audience plays along for the two games with our one card purchased for 19.95 each. Three matches on the audience card and higher can win prizes which you redeem afterwards. Any cash won is awarded directly to your onboard account and the computer screen on stage gives the numbers of who has won. On this sailing, the two audience members selected onstage walked away with a considerable sum of money. They kept playing and the audience helped them decide. Overall, it was different, it was fun, and it was interactive. I definitely would play again on all future sailings.

I played Bingo because I happened to be cashing in my deal or no deal card for winning krackit tickets. The final bingo prize was 1700 dollars. When I looked around in Spinnaker’s Lounge, there were very few people present. The odds looked good to me and it was worth the 39.90 to play three cards for three games. The other options were more cards for more dollars. Like a power ball ticket, it only takes one to win so I went with the least costly. I did not win but it was worth the 40 bucks for the chance to win the big one. The final game ended up paying out 1900 dollars and the guy who won was very happy!

Either my humor has changed or Second City is now FUNNY!

Having tried many times to find second city funny, I gave up on them years ago and stopped going to their shows. I read on Cruise critic the material is now new and the troupes are too. OH MY…I actually had tears of laughter …seriously…tears of laughter coming down my face during their big show in the Star Dust Theater. I still laugh out loud when I reminisce a particular scene. I am laughing now as I type.

The Food I Remember Loving the Most:

The FRUIT PLATE and cottage cheese in the Venetian dining room during breakfast. There was something about the fruit on this sailing that was succulent! It was even better served to me and I ate most mornings in this restaurant. Very quiet atmosphere and I had great seats at the tables for two near or at the windows!

The CREPE in the Garden Café dinner buffet. I mixed mine with strawberry and chocolate. Whip cream topper. YUMMMMMY!

The WINGS at the Blue Lagoon on deck 8 mid ship. I went there mid afternoon and decided upon the wings after two teenagers told me they were just finishing their third plate. We talked forever and it did not matter we had sauce all over our faces and hands by the time we were all done.

The CHICKEN MARSALA one night in Aqua Restaurant. The dining room menus have a chef specialty each night. The executive chef on this sailing was from India and I also liked the Indian dishes in the buffet. I was warned it was a spicy dish and I replied I liked spicy and it did not disappoint.

The made to order PASTA in the Garden Café. Their marinara sauce had an extra zip to it than years past. I had a half serving of penne pasta with garlic and broccoli.

The little CRAB CAKES in the Garden Café. I went back three times for more. And I hate crab cakes! The two words just do not seem to go together but the ones on this sailing were great!

THE VITALITY JUICE MACHINE! Hooray hooray hooray for Norwegian! Kudos for bringing this onto the ship! The ice tea was ice tea. The lemonade was lemonade. The strawberry kiwi flavored water was refreshing. The Mango flavor was good too. Even all four of them mixed together tasted good! The best part about the flavored waters is that they were zero calories. Do not worry about sugar drinks for your kids. No need to bring our own crystal lite packets to mix with water anymore either. The orange juice in all machines had pulp in them. Thank you!

BAMBOO RESTAURANT! With exception to dessert, almost anything on their menu! I finally sailed with people who wanted to go to this restaurant! The most overlooked restaurant in the Norwegian fleet, there is a reason this restaurant is usually an officer and cruise staff favorite. Everything is great! Lettuce wraps, rice noodles, veggie/chicken combinations along with a variety of other Asian selections.

MY LITTLE BIRTHDAY MUFFIN DELIVERED TO MY CABIN. It sat there for a few days because it looked strange. A blueberry muffin with a creamy frosting. Tiny marshmallows placed atop the frosting with chocolate strips sealing them in. A happy birthday note from my Norwegian family accompanied it. I chuckled thinking if I am family, then give me the rate! Two days later on a late night return to my cabin, that little blueberry with marshmallow and chocolate topping muffin was the BEST combination of flavors EVER! Who knew? LOL.

The VEGETABLE ENTRÉE in Le Bistro. I think it is the only thing on the menu I never ordered over the years. You gotta love portabella mushrooms and you gotta love goat cheese. I was glad I tried something different the second time we ate there. For dessert, I still went for vanilla ice cream with the chocolate fondue sauce…not on the menu…but will serve as a special request. Get in a bowl for the full effect of creating a polar bar or Klondike bar. If served in the sundae dish, the effect is minimized.

To Keep The Review Fair, The Food I Gagged On

Just one item. The rice pudding dessert in Bamboo. It reminded me of a time I tried to impress Mr. coka back in 1982 when he first took me ice fishing and I said, “Yeah, I can put those poked out perch eyes underneath my tongue…”

So much for my goal, huh? haha. SO WHAT ABOUT BERMUDA? That is up next! I’ll see you after work tomorrow! Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer…or others can answer too!

coka;)

Hi Coka,

It is always nice to read Jim and your posts.... We are on the Dawn next Friday and last year we had the most delicious bread pudding with caramel sauce....:D My daughter in law was in her glory every time it was on the menu... Did you see it this year?

Keep posting.

Ann and Bernie

Enjoying your review so far and can't wait to hear more. I am also cruising solo in Nov on the Dawn. I am hoping to meet some nice folks to spend a little time with, especially for dinner. I don't mind traveling alone, but don't like eating alone. Seems you had some friends to join in with. What have your solo experiences been in the past?

Hi Gizmo911, I have sailed solo in the past and my experiences varied regarding dining. I made the time I ate alone fun. I listen in on other diner's conversations which often brings a few chuckles or made me count my blessings. When seated at a table I made sure to select the seat that gave me the most views of the dining room and the staff so I had something to look at. If by a window, I gaze out to the sea. One time I was placed dead center in the middle of the dining room in a walkway where everyone could see that I was solo. Everyone felt sorry for me that so many stopped to chat with me on their way out.

I recommend looking to see if your sailing has a roll call and most cruisers are so sweet that some might ask you to join them. I always say dining alone builds character. I am somewhat of an anomaly though...being the youngest in a family of 13 I often look forward to having the food all to myself let alone getting a seat at a table! You also could let the dining host/hostess know that you would like to share a table and they will do their best, yet keep in mind freestyle cruisers like Norwegian because most like to pick who they dine with.

Other options include signing up on the first day (check your freestyle daily) to dine with an officer (for free if you are randomly selected) and on the first day to sign up for the Chef's Table (for a $$ fee). Those options would cover two evenings.

Lastly, whenever I see people dining solo it does not always mean they are traveling solo. So often passengers hit the buffet or go to a restaurant on their own that they want to try out. So overall, nobody really notices and if they do, more often than not, they wish they were you! LOL

Have fun and have no worries about it.

Coka I am loving your review. I can't believe they did not honor you with a bottle of wine. NCL really missed the boat on that one. Hope they read cc and realize you are always their ambassador of good will. I know for a fact you have in the past picked up on the decks when staff was not on top of it. You have always been there for them 36? cruises. Anxious to read the rest of your review soon.

Oh Pinksandjudy, ask your grandson to see the picture he took of me next to a boat titled, "Don't Cry For Me." I was going to write the wine issue into other areas of the review because of the happy ending, but I feel I should address it right now since I did not translate well. The Dawn ship staff was phenomenal in trying to figure it out as well and in the end they did offer a certificate for a complimentary bottle. I hesitate to say who, how, and why, as I do not want them to get into trouble for being so nice.They were so sweet and so caring and so gentle with me that it was never really about the wine. It was about the promotion and the concern if there was a glitch with it.

I have written so many times here to have the paperwork with you when cruising and here I did not practice what I preach. How many times have we read about not reading the fine print and I myself did not read the fine print if there was any. Lastly, I am no more an ambassador than the next person, yet I appreciate your comments!

...I asked jimswims if there was a late night swim on this trip and he indicated there is an adventure for you to tell. ???....I think you will actually win the infamous, coveted champagne bottle if we were on a cruise together. We used to be ahead a little bit of you, I think you might have caught up during our 18 month sabbatical.:D

Fingers crossed, we will resume our quest in October on the Star to Bermuda. It is one of our favorite destinations...

Hi Cruitenn! I am glad things are looking better for your family and I am wishing the absolute best Star October Bermuda cruise for you! I did win the bottle of champagne on this sailing and I cherished it so much I gave it away again! I am hopeful for the day when I do not raise my hand and watch the joy of someone else winning it. Some cruiser did that one time I won it a few years ago on the Dawn and I thought it so considerate! He said he had won enough over the years. I want to be like that!

coka

How was 12041...I have the same cabin booked... how was the layout? is it larger that other inside cabins? Do you have any pics?

Thanks,

Knicks1130

Hi Knicks1130, Yes I do have pictures and posted them below. From what I understand, it looks larger than the other inside cabins. It is more rectangular than it is a square because it is nicknamed the sideways cabin.

Picture 1: View upon opening the cabin door. Beds are to the left and a walkway to the right with bathroom and closets.

Picture 2: View from the bed area. Closets on left, bathroom on right from the walkway.

Picture 3: View from the closet area looking towards the bedding. See one of the other two beds in the wall.

Picture 4: The bathroom and sink.

Picture 5: The shower with door to separate it. Pay no attention to the belly in the mirror.

I kept the two lower beds together and asked for a mattress topper to not sleep on a crease. If the beds were apart, there would be even more walking room about the cabin. It sleeps four. Two beds on the floor and two beds that come out from the side walls. Two ladders are stored in the closet.

coka

12041Entrance.jpg.c0814b5486a7acdd9f8238b887dfd81e.jpg

138918991_12041ShelvingandCloset.jpg.c552cc20384d25f05ab425a386dd6a50.jpg

1013251751_12041Bedstogether.jpg.00a4ec34245cfa1c2bc8650d907b616c.jpg

1095844144_12041bathroomsinkandshelves.jpg.ec4643f798e3dcf3cc3149e0ac00d457.jpg

639667036_12041BathroomShower.jpg.7d8c83bfc0de1ac17fa8e94c4302752c.jpg

We've been giving Cagneys a wide berth our last couple of cruises...do I dare try again??? Hmmmm....

Hi Cubechick, Yes, be sure to try it again. This was why I ate it in the dining room first. I would love to find out if our taste buds have been correct previously and currently regarding the beef! On a side note, I have been trying to sell Jimswims on the Epic. I KNOW when you come back with pictures, that you will seal the deal! hehehe

.... We are on the Dawn next Friday and last year we had the most delicious bread pudding with caramel sauce....:D My daughter in law was in her glory every time it was on the menu... Did you see it this year?

Keep posting.

Ann and Bernie

Hi 3rdtimecruising! Yes yes yes! The glorious bread pudding is still on the menu and still in the buffet. I had all I could do to not get me some! The bread pudding is my diet downfall and it called out to me so many times! Just like Virginia used to! I was rather impressed with myself that I stuck with my goal to not feast upon any this sailing! Please come back and tell me how yummy it still is!

coka

I wanted to answer all the questions first but many thanks to everyone for the very kind comments!

SO WHAT ABOUT BERMUDA?

Oh, is that where we were going? I am sort of rebellious fish when it comes to Bermuda. Everyone loves Horseshoe Bay except me. Everyone hates Snorkel Park except me. I finally took public transportation by purchasing the bus/ferry pass for one day. Everyone loves this mode of transportation except me. Although different and economical, I am not quite sure as to the reliability of it. The boat ride on its own is worth the cost. The bus ride on its own is worth the cost. Even so, in my opinion only…have a plan A, plan B, and plan C. Plan A is to take the ferry but double check their times as they sometimes differ from the printed schedule. Plan B is to take the bus if you are adventurous and have the time to see the views from the roadways. If you choose Plan A or Plan B, then have a Plan C which is to always carry enough cash in your pocket to cover a last minute decision to take a taxi. For me, in the future, a taxi will be my Plan A. It is just so much easier!

The Ship Tours are Easy Too!

Booking a tour through the cruise line is always more money than if you find something yourself. I choose to mostly book through Norwegian and consider the higher price a convenience fee as well as a guarantee they will wait for me if a tour returns late or runs into a conflict prior to sail away from an island. Be daring on Day 1 and 2 but use caution on Day 3.

If it is your first time in Bermuda I always recommend splurging on an island tour. The cost is 89.99 per person and it lasts about 5 hours. I did this on my first visit there and it provides a first timer with an overview of the island and gives an idea of where one wants to spend more time. You go from the west end to the east end. An overview of the history and the culture is explained and you get glimpses of beaches, homes, the lighthouse, and other noted areas. Every stop has a bathroom.

The Sunset Catamaran Swizzle Cruise: It has a bathroom. The cost is 54.99 per adult and the catamaran met us at the end of the pier at around 7pm. For some reason I thought the idea was to see the sunset but in reality it is a sailing during sunset hours. Rum swizzles were distributed all throughout the sailing. The guides gave an overview of the island as we cruised. Passengers could either sit up front, in the back, or in the shaded areas. I paid no attention to the guide, to the views, or to the sunset. My main attention was on the guy videotaping us and on the nearby boat videotaping us.

Prior to boarding I asked not to be filmed drinking a rum swizzle and then not to be filmed at all. Then, I changed my mind because I am now 49 and that is what I am supposed to do. So, if you sail the Dawn to Bermuda next year, check out the promotional video they will have in your stateroom regarding this particular tour. I’ll be the one with no rum swizzle in my hand looking very uncomfortable as I sucked in my stomach while posing the entire 2 hours.

The Rising Son Catamaran Swim and Snorkel Tour: The cost is $79.99 per adult. The catamaran met us at the end of pier and this time I listened to the guide. Prior to snorkeling we cruised around and learned tidbits of who lived where on the island. Once we arrived at the beach area, everyone was given sterilized snorkel gear and noodles to float upon. The noodles are much easier than life vests. The catamaran also had kayaks available along with the boards one stands on and paddles around. Rum swizzles on this catamaran are very potent in my opinion and I made sure to catch up with the others once I returned from being in the water forever. I wanted to forget that my pruned finger tips reminded me of the mirrored reflection of my naked arse I saw earlier in my cabin. We sailed back to the ship just prior to sail away so we all got to hoot and holler to the onlookers as the music played loudly. This catamaran also has a bathroom.

The Live Reggae Band and Spit Roast On The Beach: A newly added tour, this option is 39.99 per adult and took place during the early evenings at Snorkel Park. It begins about 6:45 and lasts about 3 hours. I did not sign up for this tour but I did walk past it as I went to Snorkel Park to watch the sunset on the first day in Bermuda. When I walked through, there were a lot of people chowing down on some yummy looking pulled pork or beef or something like that. The section in Snorkel Park had them seated at tables with umbrellas for coverage. The band sounded very good and I think they all got some free rum swizzles because they were late in getting there and setting up. When I left after the sun set (I sat on the far side by the rocks), the passengers were dancing to the reggae band and looked like they were having fun! The bathroom is also very conveniently located nearby.

Up next: Fun Times With Jimswims' Family and Friends (in Bermuda and on the ship). I am not posting until it passes his approval first.:D

coka

Okay, got it!

FUN TIMES WITH CRUISE CRITIC JIMSWIMS’ FAMILY AND FRIENDS

MEET AND GREET:

Jimswims started the Cruise Critic roll call thread and set up the meet and greet for all of us. Although I only participated the two weeks prior to embarkation, Jimswims was on it almost a year prior giving information, encouragement, and exuded growing excitement with each passing week. As usual, it was great to put faces with names, but I admit to being sort of a late comer. Muffins, juice, and coffee was set up and around 10 officers or so attended which always amazes me and the group as well. We were their first meet and greet in about a month and each officer welcomed and talked a bit. The best part of all…was evidence of their knowledge, expertise, care for us, and comradery they had for each other. One could tell this group of officers gelled well together and knew each other for a long time. This was also evidenced at the other gatherings they had for passengers too. Thank you Jimswims for setting this up for us and now it’s all about YOU and Mrs!

WE ARE SO CLOSE TO EACH OTHER:

I booked a guarantee inside so imagine my surprise ending up with 12041. I was expecting the broom closet on deck 4 or something like that! My grand inside cabin was directly across the hallway from Jimswim’s gigantic one bathroom suite with a wall of windows. Knowing his family of four was accustomed to two bathroom suites, I cut a deal that they could use my shower at any time if I could have one of their Lavazza coffees at any time. This arrangement worked out well and I was miffed they did not tell me about Mrs. Jimswims running out of water in the middle of her shower one late night but they figured mine was probably affected too. There was always the nearby pool…!

OUR ADVENTURE!

We wondered what adventure we would find ourselves in this year and if it would involve a pool jumping again. We lurked around the well attended pool party one evening to the band and to the DJ playing until the teenagers all jumped in the pool before we could and then security showed up. For some reason we have a habit (hmmmm, wonder where it possibly could come from) of making a quick exit when they show up even though we ourselves had not done anything wrong…this time. Our instinct kicked in to assist security because he only had a flashlight to shine on the teens to direct them out of the pool. We went to back to the cabin to put our swimsuits on so we could be more helpful and kick them out ourselves, but after a few steps into the corridor we thought it felt too much like real life work and the idea quickly dissipated.

The pool jump adventure ended up being late afternoon when nobody was dancing and no cruise staff event was taking place at the pool area. The area was pretty much at a lull and most passengers were asleep or lounging in the fading sun. Without any planning or forethought, which is how we like it to happen, Jimswim’s, Mrs. Jimswim’s, and I, in conjunction with some rebellious fish, a giant yellow plastic wet-floor caution cone, and the soundtrack to Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” together provided the entertainment and energy to get the passengers awake and singing and waving along. We even had the Garden Villa occupants from above partaking. Our grand finale was of course the pool jump and our mission was accomplished by totally embarrassing Mr. and Mrs. Jimswim’s kids and all their friends…

WHITE HOT FUN!

…Yet the kids and their friends still hung out with us at the White Hot Party. There were over ten in Jimswims’ group that attended and we all had fun dancing in our white outfits. The dance floor was packed and I thought Spinnaker’s was a decent enough place to hold the event. Everyone looked elegant and most had really nice white dresses and white outfits that had some thought put into them. I was trashy and wore white jean shorts, a white winter leopard t-shirt with hidden leopard cat eyes on the front, and metallic strappy high heels with rhinestones up the front. Hey, I can not dance in flat shoes. Having tripped three times that week while walking in flat shoes I was not going to trip up dancing in them. If women can age out of “it,” then let’s hope “it” never ages out of women.

ST. GEORGES’ DUNKING AT HIGH NOON

I am not really that bad mentioned above but a woman exists in St. George’s who is. Although we all have been to Bermuda more than a few times, we finally saw the dunking of the wench at high noon in St. George’s. As luck would have it, we stumbled upon the scene as we walked around the quaint historic town. A bit different since cruise ships docked there, the economic condition of this area is not as vital as it used to be. The town crier, the bell ringer who welcomed the cruise ships of yester-year , is now the lead actor who publically runs the dunking of the wench as she is found guilty of gossiping. Gossiping? Really?

It was wicked hot that day and the dunking seemed to take forever. Perhaps they would dunk me instead if I caused a raucus from beyond the crowd and I could get cooled off. My rant did not work at all but at least I carried out a long standing goal of mine to holler out amongst a crowd of strangers in a different land in my best Monty Python voice that I thought the wench was indeed a witch and that we should BURN her instead! Now THAT would have been interesting to sweat out the hot sun for.

HAMILTON:

Jimswims LOVES to shop! In Hamilton he was very helpful. He guided us on the shoes, on the shirts, on the sun dresses, on the sun hats, on the bargain areas, and even where the Designer items are. He knows the best bathrooms and kept us all on a schedule. If you are ever on a future cruise with him, be sure to ask him to go shopping with you! No need to thank me in advance for this recommendation.

The famous Hamilton Harbor Nights that takes place on Wednesdays is sort of brought to the Wharf now on Mondays. During the evening, vendors come from all over and sell things from beneath their tent covers and a stage is set up for entertainment. It is a smaller scale than in Hamilton but it gives a good option to the cruisers in the wharf area and the locals come out as well. As Jimswims mentioned in his review, the clock tower stores remain open until nine.

SEA GLASS! SEA GLASS! SEA GLASS!

It ALL sounds so exotic. I read that many seek sea glass and ask about it on the Bermudian boards here on cruise critic. So I said yes to joining Jimswims’ family when I found out they were going to search for treasures from the sea. We all went on the last morning in Bermuda. Jimswims had secret directions to the landscape of luxurious items from the ocean bestowed upon a hidden shore side locale of the island. I learned on our walk that Bostonian’s search for these items, compare it, collect it, display it, barter it, create with it, and I will venture to guess that they might even sell it on Ebay. Once at the beach area, I had just one question. “Am I the only one in the world who did not know beforehand what sea glass actually is?”

I must admit…It site was pretty amazing and after only a few moments on the beach I made it my quest to find Jimswims and family some unique sea glass to complete their annual quest. They were so good to me for taking me under their wing throughout the week. Although I never collected any sea glass to lose, prayers to St. Anthony that morning sure helped me find the pretty blue ones to donate to his family.

My secret directions to the stairway that leads to the abundant, multi-shaped solid prisms that emit such color as the sun shines upon them is as follows: Stay on the road to the right when leaving the wharf area. When that road splits, stay to the right again. Once past “convict cemetery” (I say for those caught and found guilty of taking sea glass) on the right side, look for the house with the number 10 on its doorway. Directly across from this is the stairway that leads down to the beach. Next time I am bringing my snorkel gear, shovel, and cash in an envelope with a thank you note to slip under number 10‘s doorway. They can put it towards a neighborhood block party at the end of the cruise ship’s Bermuda run.

TI MANY MARTOONIES ANYONE?

The infamous Norwegian Martini Tasting! I did it once on the Dawn with OceanDreams and vowed never to do it again. So I accompanied Mrs. Jimswims under the false pretense that I would split it with her. The cost is 15 dollars and on this sailing and on this particular day, five were handed out within a 45 minute time period. This was the second tasting of the week and another was planned for the following day at sea. I counted about 60 plus participants all gathered in Gatsby’s. After participating in one and after observing participants in one, I conclude for me it was more fun to watch than to partake. I am sure all the others would disagree. Even so, by watching only, I could remember the next five hours!

DINNER AND A SHOW FOR FIVE PLEASE, or, WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN US?

My Norwegian Vacation Heroes of the week are Mr. and Mrs. Jimswims, their two children, and all their family friends on this sailing. They truly are the kindest hearted people. I am forever grateful for them including me in their dinners each evening, in attending the fabulous shows with them, such as Bollywood, Extreme Vegas, Donovan and Rebecca, the Paul Scalley Show, and just plain hanging out with me. They taught me that if I am active all day long from sun up to sun down, that I can look forward to going to bed around 10-11pm on a cruise ship! The Jimswims family does not know it yet, but I have decided to move in with them. I should be in Boston by the week’s end...

...We can live happily ever after by singing to the whales swimming by the beach's edge. :D:D:D

coka

Archived