The Dawn of my change or the change of my Dawn? 8/3/12 Bermuda Sailing

coka

What do you mean .... "you vowed never to do the martini tasting again." I thought that was just the alcohol talking.......Just kidding! :cool:

What a great review as always. One of these years (I only say that because this year is ending in a few months) I'm going to catch a cruise and meet this wonderful family of Mr. Jimswims that you are cruising with. I can't wait for Thanksgiving......it will be just like old times.....You and me kid (since I am older)

OceanDreams

Coka, thank you so much for such a wonderful review. I have been laughing so much all morning since I read it. You have a special talent and you should write a book. Perhaps it because I know very well Jimswims and family. Once again keep up with the reviews, I will be smiling all day when I think of Jimswims' as a guru for shopping anywhere. Take care and maybe someday we can all go together on a cruise.

You left the part out that you were complimented with looking like a celebrity. I know you have heard this before but this time the person is still living.

Coka, thank you for your kind words. It was an absolute pleasure to cruise with you once again! I hope that there are many more. Next time Mr. Coka is coming. He may have liked the schedule. I do have to say that we were turning in at about midnight every night though, lol! You are welcome to move in anytime :) We even have water nearby for Coka's Gem!

Thanks to your review NCL has contacted me and offered me the position of shopping and tour guide in Bermuda for the 2013 summer season! I think the keeping to the schedule part is what gave me the edge. Maybe I could have been helpful to the family that were 2 hours late returning to the ship and left the minor on board.

What do you mean .... "you vowed never to do the martini tasting again." I thought that was just the alcohol talking.......Just kidding! :cool:

What a great review as always. One of these years (I only say that because this year is ending in a few months) I'm going to catch a cruise and meet this wonderful family of Mr. Jimswims that you are cruising with. I can't wait for Thanksgiving......it will be just like old times.....You and me kid (since I am older)

OceanDreams

That would be great! I look forward to this and meeting you. I know it will happen :) My problem is that we have to cruise during peak times because of our jobs!

Hi Cubechick, Yes, be sure to try it again. This was why I ate it in the dining room first. I would love to find out if our taste buds have been correct previously and currently regarding the beef! On a side note, I have been trying to sell Jimswims on the Epic. I KNOW when you come back with pictures, that you will seal the deal! hehehe

Hi 3rdtimecruising! Yes yes yes! The glorious bread pudding is still on the menu and still in the buffet. I had all I could do to not get me some! The bread pudding is my diet downfall and it called out to me so many times! Just like Virginia used to! I was rather impressed with myself that I stuck with my goal to not feast upon any this sailing! Please come back and tell me how yummy it still is!

coka

Thanks Coka,

That is great news....We cruise twice a year and on the Dawn last year I had just completed 8 rounds of chemo for breast cancer and unfortunately I really do not remember too much about the ship. We did cruise with our children and grandson, now 2, and I have some recall of the fun with him....:D Feeling great now and all the radiation treatment is behind me...:p:p:p Bernie tells me the first thing we are going to do when we get on is take a tour of the ship... We have an aft balcony and are really delighted with the perks we will have. Looking forward to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch... Have dined there on Gem and Spirit and look forward to trying the Dawn... We also did the spa pass and do recall the great pool, especially the splashing while the ship was sailing....so much fun. Was Ariel on the ship?? We have enjoyed him on the Gem, Spirit and Dawn.

Thanks for all your insight. We sail in 7 days... Tomorrow we celebrate our 40th anniversary with a big party with all our family and friends..... IT IS A HAPPY TIME !!!!!

Ann and Bernie

I wanted to answer all the questions first but many thanks to everyone for the very kind comments!

SO WHAT ABOUT BERMUDA?

Oh, is that where we were going? I am sort of rebellious fish when it comes to Bermuda. Everyone loves Horseshoe Bay except me. Everyone hates Snorkel Park except me. I finally took public transportation by purchasing the bus/ferry pass for one day. Everyone loves this mode of transportation except me. Although different and economical, I am not quite sure as to the reliability of it. The boat ride on its own is worth the cost. The bus ride on its own is worth the cost. Even so, in my opinion only…have a plan A, plan B, and plan C. Plan A is to take the ferry but double check their times as they sometimes differ from the printed schedule. Plan B is to take the bus if you are adventurous and have the time to see the views from the roadways. If you choose Plan A or Plan B, then have a Plan C which is to always carry enough cash in your pocket to cover a last minute decision to take a taxi. For me, in the future, a taxi will be my Plan A. It is just so much easier!

The Ship Tours are Easy Too!

Booking a tour through the cruise line is always more money than if you find something yourself. I choose to mostly book through Norwegian and consider the higher price a convenience fee as well as a guarantee they will wait for me if a tour returns late or runs into a conflict prior to sail away from an island. Be daring on Day 1 and 2 but use caution on Day 3.

If it is your first time in Bermuda I always recommend splurging on an island tour. The cost is 89.99 per person and it lasts about 5 hours. I did this on my first visit there and it provides a first timer with an overview of the island and gives an idea of where one wants to spend more time. You go from the west end to the east end. An overview of the history and the culture is explained and you get glimpses of beaches, homes, the lighthouse, and other noted areas. Every stop has a bathroom.

The Sunset Catamaran Swizzle Cruise: It has a bathroom. The cost is 54.99 per adult and the catamaran met us at the end of the pier at around 7pm. For some reason I thought the idea was to see the sunset but in reality it is a sailing during sunset hours. Rum swizzles were distributed all throughout the sailing. The guides gave an overview of the island as we cruised. Passengers could either sit up front, in the back, or in the shaded areas. I paid no attention to the guide, to the views, or to the sunset. My main attention was on the guy videotaping us and on the nearby boat videotaping us.

Prior to boarding I asked not to be filmed drinking a rum swizzle and then not to be filmed at all. Then, I changed my mind because I am now 49 and that is what I am supposed to do. So, if you sail the Dawn to Bermuda next year, check out the promotional video they will have in your stateroom regarding this particular tour. I’ll be the one with no rum swizzle in my hand looking very uncomfortable as I sucked in my stomach while posing the entire 2 hours.

The Rising Son Catamaran Swim and Snorkel Tour: The cost is $79.99 per adult. The catamaran met us at the end of pier and this time I listened to the guide. Prior to snorkeling we cruised around and learned tidbits of who lived where on the island. Once we arrived at the beach area, everyone was given sterilized snorkel gear and noodles to float upon. The noodles are much easier than life vests. The catamaran also had kayaks available along with the boards one stands on and paddles around. Rum swizzles on this catamaran are very potent in my opinion and I made sure to catch up with the others once I returned from being in the water forever. I wanted to forget that my pruned finger tips reminded me of the mirrored reflection of my naked arse I saw earlier in my cabin. We sailed back to the ship just prior to sail away so we all got to hoot and holler to the onlookers as the music played loudly. This catamaran also has a bathroom.

The Live Reggae Band and Spit Roast On The Beach: A newly added tour, this option is 39.99 per adult and took place during the early evenings at Snorkel Park. It begins about 6:45 and lasts about 3 hours. I did not sign up for this tour but I did walk past it as I went to Snorkel Park to watch the sunset on the first day in Bermuda. When I walked through, there were a lot of people chowing down on some yummy looking pulled pork or beef or something like that. The section in Snorkel Park had them seated at tables with umbrellas for coverage. The band sounded very good and I think they all got some free rum swizzles because they were late in getting there and setting up. When I left after the sun set (I sat on the far side by the rocks), the passengers were dancing to the reggae band and looked like they were having fun! The bathroom is also very conveniently located nearby.

Up next: Fun Times With Jimswims' Family and Friends (in Bermuda and on the ship). I am not posting until it passes his approval first.:D

coka

Hello again Coka,

You and Bernie are on the same page.... Two years ago on the Spirit we had the pass for the ferry and the bus...but when the heat of the day and all the time in Hamilton got to him out came the cash and into the taxi we went...it was well worth it and the taxi driver gave us a great tour back to the ship... This will be our 10th time since our honeymoon to Bermuda and we always go into Hamilton to have lunch at the Hog Penny Pub, the Irish linen store and some cookies at Marks and Spencer...not much left in Hamilton to shop at. Forty years ago it was a magical shopping area.:rolleyes:

Ann

great review and entertaining as usual Coka thanks. Gizmo like Coka said solo is a great way to travel and before I joined cc I never seemed to be alone for long but now with cc meet and great you will wish you had some alone time lol. You can be as busy or alone as you wish dining and all have fun

A comment overheard on the last day at sea onboard the Dawn was "Man, if anyone had a bad week onboard this sailing, then nothing in life will ever satisfy them!" A great ship, great food, great entertainment, great officers, staff, and crew, and of course, the sea conditions all made for an excellent vacation with good friends!

Jimswims, After me getting the extremely short haircut on this sailing, are you sure those guys did not say I looked like Bruce Jenner as opposed to looking like his wife? Either way, I am not googling what his wife looks like...unless perhaps I need more inspiration to keep working out and doing those plank things we were taught...!

Ann, I wish you and Bernie a fantastic cruise and it sounds like much to celebrate. When you go on your ship tour, you will notice that the maintenance/deck guys have been working very hard to keep Dawn in her good shape. The painted wall art all along the promenade were all refreshed on this sailing. The tops of all the railings around the promenade and some of the areas have been replaced with brand new ones. I suppose after years of sanding and varnishing that at some point the wood needs to be replaced. As the week progressed the promenade got shinier and shinier with her updated look! OH! Yes, Ariel Jacobe was the on the piano/vocals usually in Gatsby's Lounge. He had a good following as people seemed to enjoy when we walked by. We had the pleasure of listening to him when we ate in Bamboo and at Le Bistro. Arvin and Emilly also performed nightly in the atrium. If you have not seen them (this was my first time hearing them), they are a must see. Emily has a beautiful voice and she has great outfits!

I did forget to mention in the above posts that debarking the ship was amazing! I exclaimed "That's It?" when two immigration/customs officials were standing at the end of the gangway collecting our debarkation forms. They took the forms as everyone walked off the ship (instead of after everyone gets their luggage and then stands in a long line to give the forms). I thought that was GREAT and it will go down as the fastest exits from the terminal once leaving the ship !

OceanDreams, ... "we're going to miami..." See you soon in November!

coka

I could hardly wait for your report, and as usual I was not disappointed. My cheeks hurt from laughing and smiling. Thanks for taking us all along. :D

great review and entertaining as usual Coka thanks. Gizmo like Coka said solo is a great way to travel and before I joined cc I never seemed to be alone for long but now with cc meet and great you will wish you had some alone time lol. You can be as busy or alone as you wish dining and all have fun

It was definitely fun to do! WaldosPepper and Cabincop...I hope to sail with you on future sailings. Perhaps there should be one giant cruise critic cruise for everyone who has been communicating online on these boards all these years! I bet it would be a hoot!

coka

It was definitely fun to do! WaldosPepper and Cabincop...I hope to sail with you on future sailings. Perhaps there should be one giant cruise critic cruise for everyone who has been communicating online on these boards all these years! I bet it would be a hoot!

coka

I'm game!!!!! :D:D:D

Coka, you mentioned there were Zumba classes on board. Do you recall how often they had the classes and whether or not there was a fee? There were Zumba classes on the Jewel when we sailed in March, and I'm wondering if this is fleetwide -- that would be great!

Hi Welove2cruise232,

On this sailing there were 2 Zumba classes. The first was the second day and part two was the 6th day. There was no fee to theses classes. I found the one I went to difficult to follow along but all ages there did just fine with the dancing. When I could not understand or follow along quickly I just moved in place! One of the cruise staff gals led the class but I am not quite sure if it was the Zumba nationally certified one and I was too shy to ask. The gal could surely dance though and it was fun for those who could get the moves. The experience for me confirmed I am a lousy student!

Coka

They have held dance classes during the days at sea...I found these classes to be more fun. Enjoy your cruise! Some day...some day I will do that crossing! Lucky you! For now, I will return to the Pearl in November. Lucky me!

Coka

Archived