OBCs and Shareholder Credits... where are they?

mikjr

You'll receive an email confirmation of your shareholder benefit from RCCL. The credit will show up in your onboard account two or three days after you sail I always print out our confirmation in case there's any confusion, though it's always appeared. TA OBC shows up the same way. I'm not sure about =X= OBC. BTW, TA OBC is refundable; the shareholder benefit is not and will be drawn down first.

Bon voyage

You'll receive an email confirmation of your shareholder benefit from RCCL. The credit will show up in your onboard account two or three days after you sail I always print out our confirmation in case there's any confusion, though it's always appeared. TA OBC shows up the same way. I'm not sure about =X= OBC. BTW, TA OBC is refundable; the shareholder benefit is not and will be drawn down first.

Bon voyage

If TA OBC is refundable - is credit I buy online also refundable? If so, how and where would I go for the refund?

Many thanks,

Have no idea, waggie, as I've never bought OBC. After your cruise, refundable OBC is put on the credit card you specify when you complete on-line check in. This is only a guess, but OBC that you buy is probably refunded in the same way, but please check this out.

Regarding sharehoulder credits, when we fax in our request we always request a confirmation via e-mail. Over the years with RCI, Celebrity and Azamara we have found that the odds of getting such a confirmation are about 50-50. When we do not receive a confirmation we will usually wait a couple of weeks and simply call Celebrity. Any of the phone people can quickly verify whether or not the credit has been processed.

Hank

If TA OBC is refundable - is credit I buy online also refundable? If so, how and where would I go for the refund?

Many thanks,

Yes, it is refundable and will be credited to your credit card [used for your onboard spending] immediately at the end of your cruise. IMHO, now is a good time to purchase OBR if you are travelling soon because the rate being used by Celebrity is currently much less than would be used by your credit card.

Sue

Yes, it is refundable and will be credited to your credit card [used for your onboard spending] immediately at the end of your cruise. IMHO, now is a good time to purchase OBR if you are travelling soon because the rate being used by Celebrity is currently much less than would be used by your credit card.

Sue

Thank you Sue - soon?....next week!

Ruth

Thank you Sue - soon?....next week!

Ruth

Ruth

Well, I bought some yesterday for the end of December but I have been watching the rates daily for years and, personally, think that the rate is unlikely to improve significantly before then - Celebrity have not changed their rate for months and the commercial/tourist rate average has not been better since May despite a number of mini-Euro panics. BUT, that is my personal opinion and my risk. I would hate to take responsibility for someone else taking that risk.

At the moment, you can purchase OBC from Celebrity at £1:$1.5723. This morning the commercial rate [bBC] was £1:$1.5733 and the tourist rate [LloydsTSB] was £1:$1.4909. The rate charged by your credit card company is likely to be near the mid-point between the two - perhaps a little closer to the commercial rate.

What you will actually be charged is very much a lottery - the published rates change in real-time but your credit card company will fix a rate for each day. It is impossible to predict what that will be in advance. By buying OBC, you at least know what it costs but, if it is refunded, it is another lottery as to what the rate will be when it is re-creditted to your credit card.

Are you able to calculate what your onboard spend is likely to be? What makes you happier: fixing your costs or getting the very best deal? It's a bit like deciding if you want a fixed price contract for your gas/electricity supply or not!

Sue

Sue,

Thank you for the detailed explanation -from your perspective. I tend to agree and will check the rates over the weekend and then decide.No responsibility on your part!!

This is what I like about CC- such helpful information freely given by experienced cruisers!

Ruth

Archived