Pride AMS-AMS with pictures and comments

Emperor Norton

Re: There being too much to look at - yes there was. That first day was a killer for the colors gold/white as well as artwork and sculptures. I think I'm still recovering. On the other hand should I go back my schedule will be a lot less hectic.

After our driving tour was essentially over we got to play a game of "Spot the fellow passenger with zero previous subway experience". We went into the Moscow metro and saw some artwork from the Great Patriotic War (thats WW2 to others)

i-SHD5BJD-L.jpg

I was surprised at how few hammer and sickle logos that I saw. Those that I did were all from or pertaining to the war.

i-fp7RGZk-L.jpg

They had a really interesting looking sconce thing that I thought Tesla or Captain Nemo would have owned

i-tjqtQNB-L.jpg

The map display on the train was probably the least helpful I've seen (or there were truely no connecting trains at our stops

i-X8CH6g8-L.jpg

These chandeliers looked old but not nearly as neat as the sconces

i-J58jNvr-L.jpg

The signage was not overly tourist friendly. As you descend into the metro you can understand the secondary purpose: bomb shelter. The Metro system here is much deeper than the average American system and seemed to be deeper than Londons Tube. We were not permitted to take photos while on escalators due to a previous accident where someone slipped and found out the hard way that it's a long way down.

i-R5sMXpQ-L.jpg

FABULOUS. Loved every comment and photo! Particularly enjoy your acerbic comments! They are all terrific! Enjoying every minute of this trip!

No one has ever remembered our names, even on long voyages! We must not complain enough like some other posters not to be mentioned! Do like Seabourn. Now going to try Regent. Hope it is better than you and others suggest. The price and itinerary can't be matched on this regent trip we are embarking upon.

Again, thank you!

FABULOUS. Loved every comment and photo! Particularly enjoy your acerbic comments! They are all terrific! Enjoying every minute of this trip!

No one has ever remembered our names, even on long voyages!

We must not complain enough like some other posters not to be mentioned!

I don't think it takes complaining, but perhaps I was just lucky. From what other's have commented in my Live from/Asleep at I had a very good crew.

Do like Seabourn. Now going to try Regent. Hope it is better than you and others suggest. The price and itinerary can't be matched on this regent trip we are embarking upon.

Again, thank you!

From what I've heard Regent has upped at least their food quality recently. They've done so by having a near 50% commonality of items between the main dining room and their buffet dining room (On Voyager for example Compass Rose and Setti Mari).

After exiting the metro (:eek: time. The shops at the exit stocked fishnets and thongs. What exactly do Russians do on the metro that they need these immediately upon exit?) we walked around the Kremlin a bit looking for a say backdoor to the armory. We were ultimately successful in using this alternative "entrance" and therefore skipped some massive lines. The armory itself had some impressive things in it (the carriages were nice but I think the Portuguese have them beat) including Faberge eggs (in Moscow of all places, not the Hermitage). They also had coronation gowns, weapons, crystal, religious bits, serving sets and artwork. I was still recovering from art history overload from my first day in St. Petersburg. Their air conditioning was as non existent as at the Hermitage, and their fire suppression system was just as advanced.

Following the tour of the Kremlin armory it was time to once again explore the grounds. We saw the Kremlin, some churches, a rather large cannon that looked like it may have been more dangerous to the loading crew than the enemy and a giant bell that the Russians buried but had lost a several ton chunk.

A tower exterior wall

i-pssLdWP-L.jpg

It's a nice courtyard where we lay our scene

i-D7nwscS-L.jpg

It's rather amusing that the communists would utilize something so imperial.

i-g9sN8tr-L.jpg

No separation of church and state here. The church is connected directly to the state building.

i-sx4R5PR-L.jpg

A close up of the connection.

i-3p2VpV7-L.jpg

I'm not sure if there are enough domes or bells here.

i-GzvwZXn-L.jpg

Yet another church

i-xhdhDMP-L.jpg

This is the bell the Russians buried. You can see it has a wee crack in it.

i-pxpSfnx-L.jpg

While large and impressive I have to question how practical this cannon was

i-Zp9sxxc-L.jpg

And wonder how many were injured just trying to load the thing

i-ccwwDQf-L.jpg

This was built to house the world communist symposium (I think or something similar). It's nice to see that what was probably once the hammer and sickle has been replaced by the double headed eagle

i-MRs7BFR-L.jpg

Next we made our way to the building that was built to be a zany, colorful backdrop for the hit Russian game Tetris. I think it is also known as St. Basil's cathedral.

i-VwRBTht-L.jpg

This statue jumped in front of what was an otherwise excellent shot of the cathedral.

i-rFV5DbK-L.jpg

I wonder where they came up with the color scheme

i-gZBKdZf-L.jpg

While inside the cathedral we were treated to a choir performance by some local singers.

Interior of the cathedral.

i-Vn4GqBQ-L.jpg

The ceiling of the cathedral

i-mPZBS3X-L.jpg

This was it, Red Square. The place where the evil empire had it's parades, the tomb of Lenin and Stalin (well until Stalin got evicted) as well as the former state run department store.

i-WRQBxdr-L.jpg

I found it amusing the former state store was now a bastion for hi end American and European brands. I think someone must be rolling over in his tomb.

i-Nqfr7mj-L.jpg

In the distance you could just make this out

i-stRhVZc-L.jpg

One of Stalins Seven Sisters

I almost forgot, for lunch we went to Cafe Pushkin. The wine wasn't as bad as I had been expecting, the blini were good, the caviar on the other hand appeared to be the cheap salmon roe best used for bait. Sadly pelmeni were not included on our menu. If I wound up in Moscow again I would go back and try the regular menu. Service was good and the decor, especially the bar looked really good.

i-d7Cfzkv-L.jpg

At some point some scheming capitalists got a hold of one of the Seven sisters. It is now a Hilton hotel. As far as I know they left the decor as close to period accurate as possible.

Again, in Russia, look up!

i-VcN5rj3-L.jpg

I think the hammer and sickle took a vacation from this chandelier but you can still see the star and wheat wreath

i-dxRnnm2-L.jpg

I did like the look, it was rather unique

i-Vbhgb6k-L.jpg

Proof that even back when Stalin was in charge that communism would fall

i-Knwc9SM-L.jpg

Notice the corporate logo hiding behind the chandelier? Even back then it seems McDonalds was more powerful than the USSR;):D

After stopping at the Hilton it was time for another 4 hours of frolicking on the Russian bullet train. At night the landscape looked even more empty. At least in the US you'll occasionally see cities or farms using electricity, we could have been in a wasteland. We did learn that midnight in St. Petersburg is not a super happy fun time for traffic. Actually it was horrid. At least the locals seemed to be having fun.

Next: The weather at Peterhoff attempts to kill my camera, resulting photos are mostly junk

Edited by baychilla

St Basils is probably my favorite building in the World! Now for a silly question, why is there a parrot in most of your pics? Or is it that I have been drinking too much? :o

The parrot is like a watermark. When I first joined CC theft of others photos as well as claiming ownership of stolen photos was common. He's added to any photo that I upload via Lightroom.

Baychilla

Thanks for posting the wine list. I think your wine post will become a "Classic" for all Seabourn wine drinkers -- not to mention your entire trip blog. Including the vintages was super.

I was very much encouraged by the "Buy" list. Hard to believe that the ships actually have those wine and particularly those vintage. We will definitely splurge on some of the $50 to $70 range (if the Legend has it) some evenings when the menu complements those wines.

If either you or Les Picantins have any recommendations for "French" Reds on either Included or Buy list, please make a few suggestions. We will then try those out here before leaving for the cruise in Nov.

Thanks.

/Sultan

This is a repost of the inclusive wine list I was given while on the Pride.

Day 3 in St. Petersburg, or this isn't the best time to discover that your allegedly water resistant camera isn't.

The weather report for today called for morning rain. I thought no problem, I have a plastic tarp to keep my camera dry, and the camera is supposed to have weather proofing.

When we got to the palace it was already raining. As soon as the bus doors opened vendors jumped on offering 2 ponchos for 10euro or 1 umbrella for 20euro. After people had purchased their wares we were off. We went past several food/drink/tchotchke vendors. We also went past pay restrooms (If you have the currency and feel you may need to use one, I'd recommend these as the lines for the two in the palace were somewhat north of excessive and that was with our "early" admit.

The palace itself was another one where you had to wear the shoe covers (also Catherine's palace and Peters retreat). Inside it was much like Catherine's Palace. After the first two days I couldn't really care what I saw in there. They also had a problem with overly large tour groups from Princess that couldn't follow simple instructions. This caused people from the Princess ship to get "stuck" in a room our group was in and block visual access (each group was supposed to stick together in a single room, but the Princess group were too good for that). The lacquer rooms were a nice change, but again the humidity control function was "ok, everyone gather up, bunch up and run through that room". After our tour we had about 30 minutes to kill. It was pouring rain and the fountains had not been turned on quite yet. Hurry up and wait please.

The annoying thing was, by the time we'd made it from the bus to the entrance the rain had stopped. By the time our interior tour was done it was raining again!

Due to the way the tour worked we never did get a chance to see this fountain working

i-rG585tQ-L.jpg

The duck didn't seem to mind the ever shifting weather.

i-mpcSp4V-L.jpg

The weather outside was frightful

i-VQCf2GF-L.jpg

Some of the views were so delightful

i-WKHtRNt-L.jpg

I've never seen anyone look for pearls in a fish before

i-NNbRF6Q-L.jpg

This is about when my sensor started to go south

i-STDSkJk-L.jpg

Of course no palace is complete without its own chapel

i-PR63PSW-L.jpg

You may get the impression that even in the foul weather it was crowded. That would be accurate.

i-NfqrCg9-L.jpg

These are one of Peter's "joke" fountains. So called because he'd lure unwary guests near them then have them turned on.

i-r5v8hpK-L.jpg

More crowding, but at least the shot came out better than expected

i-kpmPkfW-L.jpg

Photographers beware!

i-rWKzcCx-L.jpg

After watching the fountains for a bit we went over to Peters retreat. It was much smaller and more homey (and at this point far more interesting) than any of the far more grandiose buildings wed been in before. After a relatively quick tour here we would board a "train" that took us across the grounds to view some other royals houses as well as a gothic inspired church

i-9bx3Qt3-L.jpg

From our "train" tour we went into what I'm guessing was supposed to be a traditional country inn. The decor looked pre-fab and I was beginning to wonder if the Russians had come up with the country inn in a box to match the Irish pub-in-a-box concept.

At least the ceiling looked nice

i-9TCtd49-L.jpg

Here's the bartender pouring our bubbly (I would've rather had more vodka)

i-Zm8RVQj-L.jpg

Our initial setup was a shot of vodka and a glass of champagne. For our table this wasn't good enough, we needed a few rounds of the Russian beer. Sadly it was about as impressive as the bubbly.

i-KfwHbVG-L.jpg

People seemed to have a good time (although I preferred the food at Cafe Pushkin as well as the service)

i-ZCCX8mn-L.jpg

It was time to head back to the ship and say Do svidanya to St. Petersburg. The only real question was whether or not the weather would cooperate with the sail away.

At first glance, this is not looking good for sail away

i-LjMfNbP-L.jpg

We haven't had caviar in the surf yet. Hrm... It seems the caviar drove the rain away

i-QfPHDj2-L.jpg

The decks were wet but the skies were clearing and the staff had the chairs dry about as soon as the rain stopped

i-kngsxLF-L.jpg

More people enjoying the change in weather

i-HwKnT5v-L.jpg

I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a still of some sort or a rocket science project

i-WQkRG6r-L.jpg

People were definitely enjoying the change in the weather

i-hHWShWK-L.jpg

Maybe not this guy

i-27zLG9f-L.jpg

Or the passengers on these ships (IIRC they were 45min out of town so just getting anywhere for them was an hours long process. Cruise lines were: Princess, Oceania and Regent)

i-ZksLXgk-L.jpg

The naval base was an interesting mix of rust and gold

i-V6bBk2x-L.jpg

Some of their lust rusted out vessels

i-76X9fG8-L.jpg

i-8GLd5dR-L.jpg

That's it for St. Petersburg, next stop - Helsinki

Gallerys open for general viewing (more images than what's been posted here)

Getting there

Amsterdam

Ronne, DK

Tallinn, ES

St. Petersburg, RF

Moscow, RF

Where were we? I don't think asking this guy for directions would work out.

i-PB89RRH-L.jpg

How about some of the people coming from around that church?

i-Rk3Wr6g-L.jpg

For a Sunday there didn't seem to be that many people there

i-J6DNzL7-L.jpg

The street signs weren't overly helpful

i-TKGzS9r-L.jpg

Perhaps this odd looking object would be of use?

i-tW3Rhsq-L.jpg

We were in Helsinki and after the mad rushing for the Russian tours I was looking forward to an e-z mode tour. Nothing that lasted all day or had you walking over half a city. I thought a slightly less than half day tour would fit the bill. I guess time and energy wise it did. However I think either we missed a whole lot of Helsinki, or I should've gone on a longer tour. We saw (drove past) a lot of cultural buildings, government buildings, schools and an Olympic park but I just didn't feel any real pull from anything.