Pride AMS-AMS with pictures and comments

Emperor Norton

...We will be newbies to Seabourn ....

Trust me you will love it. We're just about to go on our fifth - this time on Spirit across the "Pond" to St Maarten in December. If you haven't yet arranged a referral voucher for your $400 on board credit for your first cruise drop me an email grumpy(dot)old(dot)man(at)btinternet.com and we both benefit.

Have a great cruise.

Not all of us flew on the day of the cruise on Seabourns dime. That is, we went from wherever we were to the ship. You're suggesting that after your 5* breakfast you were taken straight to your suite with ZERO stops in between? Seabourn SOP says otherwise. Further you're representing the worst of sterotypical CC behavior. That is you were NOT on my timeline, NOR were you on my cruise. YMMV. As I found with Regent; I can have the same dish as another table mate, but one has alpo and the other has a frozen Indian meal. If you want to state that you were on an entirely different cruise, with different dates and different staff, fine.

I'd actually love to cruise with the both of you. I could take the pictures and at the end of the cruise we could post our opinions. Oh wait a tic, neither of you "well seasoned" travelers have left either a textural or pictorial version of a Seabourn cruise. Hrm... Until then I believe that Bender from Futurama has a quote appropriate for the both of you.

I am very sorry that I seem to have caused a certain amount of unrest. I certainly did not mean to. I was concerned that the report could put off some of those who might be considering a Seabourn cruise. I must point out that I did not suggest that I was on the same cruise as the OP, that I did post a review of my cruise on this site, and that the transfer from the breakfast hotel to the Cruise Terminal in Dubai was indeed, direct, with no stops. It is probably wise if I do not post any observations on this site in the future, fo fear of saying the wrong thing.

It is probably wise if I do not post any observations on this site in the future, fo fear of saying the wrong thing.

Jay23 don't go away just join in the mix, if it were all bland and non "combatant":cool:, might be the wrong word but hope you all get my drift, then it would not be worth signing in for.

Jay23,

Please do not refrain from posting for fear of saying the wrong thing. Everyone here is entitled to his/her opinion. I think we are all smart enough to read between the lines and understand what each poster means. And then we can listen or ignore accordingly. So chime in any time you like.

Still on subject of my previous post: recently heard or read, posting on the internet is equiverlent to writing on toilet walls! and we all know the mix of info that can be. Have read some some interesting pieces over the years and the rest just gets ignored. Wripro just saw your post GMTA.

Edited by Yorkiebargirl

I really was enjoying Baychillas review and photos, and didn't think he/she was being too negative at all. I think those who complained have a lot of nerve. If you don't like the way someone is reviewing, then just stop reading. You don't have to be so mean as to make the person stop their reviews.

I for one would really like to see the rest of the photos and review of this trip.

I really was enjoying Baychillas review and photos, and didn't think he/she was being too negative at all. I think those who complained have a lot of nerve. If you don't like the way someone is reviewing, then just stop reading. You don't have to be so mean as to make the person stop their reviews.

I for one would really like to see the rest of the photos and review of this trip.

Completely agree, I too was enjoying the review and pics. Hope the remainder of the review will follow soon.

I am very sorry that I seem to have caused a certain amount of unrest. I certainly did not mean to. I was concerned that the report could put off some of those who might be considering a Seabourn cruise. I must point out that I did not suggest that I was on the same cruise as the OP, that I did post a review of my cruise on this site, and that the transfer from the breakfast hotel to the Cruise Terminal in Dubai was indeed, direct, with no stops. It is probably wise if I do not post any observations on this site in the future, fo fear of saying the wrong thing.

Jay23. Be assured that saying the wrong thing is (mostly) my exclusive province.Differences of opinion are welcome. Just don't differ from mine.

I admire Baychila's style. To keep up that acidity--it really isn't sarcasm--over such a long period wins my respect. Speaking of which--acidity, that is--ahs anyone heard from marianh?

I'm still here. St. Petersburg/Moscow/Peterhoff represent the bulk of my photos. The Peterhoff bit may be the most time consuming to try to "fix" (funny what happens when your allegedly very weather resistant camera isn't - even under a tarp). Differing opinions and experiences are always good (If I'd believed another posters version of the Pride I wouldn't have gone on this cruise). Re: Embarkation, things changed a bit earlier this year with Early embarkation. I would have much rather had a nice breakfast, and gone straight to my suite without waiting in the lounge or check in line. As I mentioned earlier I'm not thrilled with the current process, but I think it will be easy enough to circumvent in the future (and we did get our suites before 3, so there is that).

Pictures will be coming Soon™;)

Well, I for one, loved the very first picture...Irish Coffee from the Buena Vista! One of our favorite haunts in SF....Baychilla, when you mentioned La Folie did you mean the restaurant on Polk Street? Love the window table for two.

I did, one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

:D

Hey 'Chilla, what camera and lenses are you using for your pictures?

Most of the pictures are from a Nikon D90 shooting .NEF with post processing in Adobe Lightroom 4. The others are from my iPhone 4s using SmugMugs Camera Awesome app in place of the Apple iOS camera. Camera Awesome also does some limited post processing as well as easy social networking integration.

That was the same impression I got too. We will be newbies to Seabourn and the review hasn't been off putting for me, especially compared to others I've seen here.

The real Cliff notes version is: I had a great time. I can't wait to go on another Seabourn cruise. This time perhaps longer and maybe Asia instead of Europe. Although an Antarctic/South America cruise on a possibly up-hulled Quest could be fun too...

Baychilla...Since you haven't posted a photo of yourself, and you haven't given any personal info...could you just solve the mystery raised on this site as to if you are a he or a she? For some reason, I thought of you as a he, but it seems that others thought you were a she:D:rolleyes:

Hi Baychilla:

We will be first timers on Seabourn this Nov on the Legend Transatlantic.

Your review and photos are great -- we are small eaters but will have to request multiple orders of Foie Gras!

If you get a chance, will it be possible for you to post some pictures of wine bottle labels and generally comment on the available wines -- both included wines and those on the wine list? We are very familiar with the Napa Sonoma but much less informed or tried the French or other European wines. Thanks. /Sultan

Hi Baychilla:

Your review and photos are great -- we are small eaters but will have to request multiple orders of Foie Gras!

If you get a chance, will it be possible for you to post some pictures of wine bottle labels and generally comment on the available wines -- both included wines and those on the wine list? We are very familiar with the Napa Sonoma but much less informed or tried the French or other European wines. Thanks. /Sultan

I didn't get shots of the wine labels, but I should still have the included and surcharge lists and Ill post them up. IMO, if you want a red that reminds you of California, you'll have to purchase it (or bring it). The reds on board were to me, at best anemic (even for earth forward old world offerings).

Thanks for your quick reply.

To give you some sense of our (good or terrible!) taste, the non-common CA medium priced Red wines we have liked are:

Zinfandel -- Armida (Poizin) Sonoma

Cabernet S. -- BV Latour Napa

Pinot Noir Foxen -- Santa Maria Bien Nacido Lot 8

I just picked up Laetitia Pinot Noir for $22.50 from Safeway because I have seen it on the Seabourn List. It has been some time since we have had it.

And again thank you for your wonderful review. Looking forward to your opinions on Red wines.

/Sultan

I didn't get shots of the wine labels, but I should still have the included and surcharge lists and Ill post them up. IMO, if you want a red that reminds you of California, you'll have to purchase it (or bring it). The reds on board were to me, at best anemic (even for earth forward old world offerings).

Hi Baychilla:

Keep in mind that Sauterne is on the included wine list. It is a delicious choice to accompany your foie gras.

If Irme is still the chef on the Legend (he was our chef in July), ask him to make you a terrine to be served on a special evening. Otherwise the foie gras that will be offered one evening is wrapped in a dough, not served with toasts and very thin. It's ok, but if you are foie gras fans, you may be disappointed.

Have a great time and bon appétit.

Only 2 weeks until my Wife and I fly out to join the Legend in Rome.

Baychilla, you were clearly disappointed with the new early embarkation (it sounds so good on the Seabourn website with a chef preparing fresh wraps and so on). Is there any value in embarking at 1PM or are we better off waiting until 3PM (when our next train gets in) then ordering the sensational Seabourn room service?

Which would you choose?