ALASKA with other cruise lines

cbb

The next alaska cruise I want to do is from HAL it is a 14 day up and back without duplicate stops.

Then you need to start packing. The last of these HAL cruises is scheduled for Sept. 7, 2012. That itinerary will not be on the list next year. :(

Then you need to start packing. The last of these HAL cruises is scheduled for Sept. 7, 2012. That itinerary will not be on the list next year. :(

I only wish Oceania would now do this 14 day that Holland is dropping. I always wanted to do this one, but I won't do it on a Holland ship.

we did an alaska cruise on hal with two kids and the next year did a trip ourselves. flew into anchorage, rented car, denali at b&b with bus tour, flew back out of fairbanks. get Milepost, great yearly pub with details about alaska driving.

Not to add fuel to the "bad children/good children" thread but have you all looked at the shore ex for O in Alaska next year? Many are definitely geared for younger passengers but being active and agile myself, many of them appeal to me as well. (Do not yell at me....i'm just the messenger) Peace.

Princess and Holland America both have the cruise tour for Alaska nailed

They are the only 2 lines who have permits for Glacier Bay from the NPS and offer onboard PARK RANGERs for the day.

Celeb, Oceania, Regent simply do not have the permits, ports and connections that Princess and Holland offer. They were the originators of the Alaska cruise market..and offer the premier experience for that area.

I prefer Holland America for its ship size, 1300. The ship is more traditional and sedate, not as famly friendly in terms of passenger demographics and onboard options

Thus with an infant I would suggest Princess a ship twice the size but more family oriented and the most shipboard options,

Both Holland and Princess have the land tour wired like no other.

I believe I read somewhere on our roll call about a scenic train between the two? I did not pay that much attention as it did not apply to us but you may want to investigate.

Good luck.

train that runs down to Whittier. The railway station is right in downtown Anchorage and the run ends right in front of the ship! Not sure how often it runs...but would be a great way to get there..in fact the Princess train runs that route. And it is right along the water. LuAnn

The great decision has come down: they are going Princess and a DIY land pre-cruise flying into Anchorage and renting a car, doing the Denali Nat Park shuttle and back to Anchorage. Post cruise they will do Van & Vic DIY.

Anyone got a tip on best way to get from Anchorage to Whittier?

LuAnn- I had a student who was born/reared in Alaska and she said the mosquitoes were so large that it was "the state bird." Airforce guys say the mosquitoes are so large that numbers could be painted on their tails!

Thanks everyone. You never fail me..... xoxo

funny about the "mozzies"!! Sure glad we avoided them...they just LOVE to bite me!! :p LuAnn

As I said, I did find the train from Anchorage to Whittier and would have posted the url but I'm afraid of breaking a CCritic rule.

Paul--you mean you don't like to get fondled by the TSA? I do feel sorry for the gate agents, I'm sure it's no fun for them running their hands up and down other peoples' bodies- a major ick factor.

September and late August will have had a freeze at night ant that wipes out the bugs... Earily on is a bug feeding frenzy aftter the spring hatch ( june)

Mosquitos are only the med attack bugs.... they are chump change to the real winged varments

There are the "noseeums" that fly through mosquito netting with elan on their way to dine on you. When they bite it burns like all getout. Mosquitos just itch the next day.

Then there are the deer flys and black flies that look about the size of a B-52 and often mistaken for small birds !

When you enter Alaska, you enter the food chain, but not at the top.:D

Go late and don't be a walking buffet for the locals...

the closer to the snow melt ( ie: May June earily July) the more the insect population. The more North you go the later the hatch.

Inversely, the furthur from the date of the first freeze, the less the bugs.

As a professional naturalist I will go out on a limb: After April til mid to later August, you will be dealing with, below 7000 ft ( msl) have a lot of winged, hungry and agressive locals waiting to greet you...waiting to eat you.

This is from bugs to bears., Mosquitos to Mose

Archived