Silver and Gold by the Inch--Anybody Else?

greenie

I was really excited to buy some of the silver and gold "by the inch" chains. The table was always packed and I was only able to get within purchasing distance once--it was very popular.

I bought a lovely gold link bracelet for myself, at $4 an inch (one of the more expensive). Approximately 6 inches = $24 plus tax. Not bad for a beautiful gleaming gold bracelet. Also bought an ankle bracelet in a different gold chain for another $20 or so. Never was able to get close to the silver chains.

I have to tell you I am so disappointed--was I wrong in thinking this stuff was called gold? I never questioned what karat gold, just figured even 18k was fine. Maybe I just misunderstood, but I'm here to tell you it is not gold. 4 days after buying my bracelet, the gold wash started coming off. First on the clasp, then on the links. That's pretty bad. FOUR days after buying it?!

I haven't worn my ankle bracelet yet so don't know how that will hold up.

Just a heads-up. Perhaps not all of it is gold wash, but the one I bought certainly was. :(

Greenie aren't they gty? Bring it back on next cruise. My mother got a few ankle's and one clasp broke and they fixed it a year later on another cruise and she had lost her receipt. I've read on another board that if you have the receipt you will get refunded or replacement. Just an idea.Thanks for the warning. I'm a sterling silver kind of girl myself.

Just the price shoud be an indication that it ws not gold. If its too good to be true then it probably isn't !;)

I feel the same that's why I always ask if it is "gold-plated". I believe by law if you ask then they must tell you.

Greenie: at least it is a cheap lesson learned. You could have spent $400 and the bracelet started chipping away. Always try to find the positive from the negative (thanks Mom for that one);)

We have seen the Inch of Gold display on every ship. I'm pretty sure that it is indicated that it is an overlay. DW has some that she wears occasionally and never had a problem. Also, I think that there is a guarantee mentioned in their table top advertising. I don't remember if they gave us a brochure with that info or not.

If you don't have contact info, get in touch with NCL and ask them.

I believe that the company that sells it is Inch of Gold (click for link) but there are other companies that do the same thing.

If you go to the above site and click on "Products" you will find that the wholesale price starts at $.16 per inch. With a margin like that they should have no problem replacing the worn item.

Charlie

My son bought a necklace and bracelet years ago, and was smart enough to save the receipt. He had a problem with the plating coming off, and we sent it to the company, which as I recall, was in Miami. They replaced both pieces, and sent the original receipt back to us.

I do know that at least on HAL, they do not represent the product as 100% gold.

Just place the piece back in the little blue foil bag, and ship it off to Miami. They'll replace it with a new one cheerfully. I've done it several times. The address should be printed right on the bag. I hope you saved it!

BTW - I no longer buy their pieces, because this seems to happen rapidly to all of them. Cheap - in both price and quality. I definately got what I paid for. :p

Oh, and also I've noticed that on the Scotia Prince the sales clerk made a point to tell me not to bathe while wearing the pieces, but on NCL the crowds are so huge, and the clerks so harried that they never seem to mention any such warnings. :(

Just place the piece back in the little blue foil bag, and ship it off to Miami. They'll replace it with a new one cheerfully. I've done it several times. The address should be printed right on the bag. I hope you saved it!
I've gotten new pieces as well even without a receipt or the guarantee form. Just like you waldospepper they said that the soap I used could cause the piece to turn. I've never had one turn so fast as Greenie though. It's taken a year or two. But in every case I exchanged it for a brand new one.

The address is Customer Service, I.O.G. Headquarters, 3975 Investment Lane, West Palm Beach, Fl 33404-1775 I wrote a letter teling them what ship I was on and the approx. date. Put it in a padded envelope and sent it off. Never had a problem.

Wow, thank you everybody, for all the input and information. I did throw that little bag away, but I have my receipt (somewhere) and will send it back as you suggest. Thanks for the address, Cecilia.

Seahorse, good job by you, grilling them until they tell the truth! ;)

I wasn't sure how the "gold" was billed--I guess I did that shame-on-me "assume" thing. Partly, though, because I bought that stuff once before on a cruise and this didn't happen. It eventually got dull, but didn't have metal start showing through.

Live and learn! I'll see if I can get a replacement--I di really love it for those 3 1/2 days! :)

Does anyone know--is the silver just silver plated? Or is it silver? I actually had preferred that, but couldn't inch my way in there (no pun intended)! I have to tell you, it was a mob scene ... :eek:

Thanks again--

You would think they were giving away free real gold :D ;)

Not exactly giving it away. But I bought about a full spool of this stuff to save for my retirement. Now I'm bummed as you're telling me it's not worth the same as solid gold. I thought that about a buck an ounce was what gold sold for! After all, on the ship it's duty free.

;)

-Monte

Wow, thank you everybody, for all the input and information. I did throw that little bag away, but I have my receipt (somewhere) and will send it back as you suggest. Thanks for the address, Cecilia.

Does anyone know--is the silver just silver plated? Or is it silver? I actually had preferred that, but couldn't inch my way in there (no pun intended)! I have to tell you, it was a mob scene ... :eek:

Thanks again--

Humm? So if gold by the inch isn't pure gold, is silver by the inch all silver?

And the answer would be????

Think about it.

Dianne

Humm? So if gold by the inch isn't pure gold, is silver by the inch all silver?

And the answer would be????

Think about it.

Dianne

I did, actually. Silver's a whole lot less expensive than gold--a $24 silver bracelet isn't unusual price-wise.

So ... does anyone know for sure one way or another?

My daughter bought a "silver" bracelet last May at the table on the Dawn. She is still wearing it and it is sort of silver, but all of the little hangling dolphins have fallen off. Do you think if I bring it on the ship with me next week we could get it replace? She loves it and refuses to take it off, so getting her to give it to me could be a problem. :rolleyes:

Greenie ~ I think you may have been "had." I bought a necklace and matching bracelet by the inch on S/S Norway 3 years ago (honeymoon), and they haven't tarnished or turned at all. I wear them all the time and haven't had one problem. I agree with the other posters. Send it back and demand a replacement or a refund. That's just highway roberry!!! Keep us posted (pun intended :) )

Do you think if I bring it on the ship with me next week we could get it replace? She loves it and refuses to take it off, so getting her to give it to me could be a problem.
Not sure they'd do that for you on the ship. Worth a try, of course but they may give you the address and have you send it in.

seahorse, thank you. I'll check the website and next time will know what to ask! (And WHAT to ask!)

2cruise, that's what I thought based on the ones I bought a number of years ago. I'll send it back for sure, thank you.

I bought my daughter a bracelet with butterflys on it last year on the Dawn and did not have a problem.

I am pretty positive that the silver is not sterling. I can only wear sterling or gold (14K or above). I know I asked them, and I know I probably would have bought something if it was sterling....so I assume I was told no.

Archived