Has anyone used Mobal international phone service?

gerena

I found this website on a very old posting. So looked it up and it sounds very good. I'm not sure I will have a smart phone by then, so thought this might be an alternative for emergencies. It is $29-49 to buy the phone and it is yours. Then you pay the per minute rate,which is very high, but not sure it is any higher than Verizon. Our private tour guides are asking for contact numbers incase we "lose each other at the piers." Also-there is free texting in some countries coming in and 80 cents to send. I have never texted, but I can learn! The website is http://www.mobal.com.

We have had a MOBAL phone (and service) for about 6 years and find it perfect for emergencies and ocassonal phone calls we need to make (or receive) anywhere in Europe. What they tell you is true that their phones will connect with the best local provider (it varies) and works just about everywhere. We love not having to pay any monthly fees and the phone just stays in a drawer at home for about 8 months a year. When we go to Europe it always works...but you do need to factor in the cost per call. When we got our phone we paid $100 for a really good Motorola phone and got $100 worth of credits (so the phone cost us nothing). 6 years later we still have about $50 left of that credit.

Hank

Thanks Hank,

Think I'll also look up telestial.com that someone suggested on the boards. I will just need it for emergencies--and hopefully won't even need it except for the peace of mind! Looks like this might be even more reliable that Verizon service on the IPhone. Was waiting on the Iphone 5 to come out, but if it comes out as rumored, that only gives me 8 days to learn it--which will be a learning curve--as my cell phone is as old as Pompeii. WEll--maybe not--but ot a smart phone. I was just pushing to get it before the trip, but since I found this website thanks to the wonderful posters on CC, maybe I can relax!

I have a Mobal phone too. I bought it several years ago to have for emergencies on trips. I have never had to use it for an emergency, but I have made a few very brief calls home. Once from the Rock of Gibralter and once from the top of the Camponile in Venice. The phone worked fine. Mine also sits in a drawer most of the year, but it always goes on cruises with me.

In response to this thread I visited the Mobal site. In checking the cost for phone calls in Europe it shows rates more than those charged by AT&T for my iPhone.

Standard International Roaming Rates in Italy: $1.39/minute (Within Europe and to and from the USA)

AT&T World Traveler rates in Italy: $0.99/minute (AT&T World Traveler option costs $5.99/mo)

An AT&T Global data package costs $30.00/mo for up to 120MB which equals $0.0195/KB

The chart below is from the Mobal site which shows costs in Italy. Other European countries' costs are comparable. It appears AT&T's cost compare very favorably with Mobal.

So what is the advantage of buying and using a Mobal phone? Am I missing something?

Lew

20120818-duj1x7ke5gapjac8qe886iaywr.jpg

Hi Lew,

I'm gathering info as I don't have an IPhone--although would like one--no Smart Phones in our house. We would probably stay with Verizon and really need to wait until the IPhone 5 to have compatibility for abroad service--for what I have heard and read. Rumored to be out Sept 21--and we leave 8 days later--not enough time to learn! I haven't done the comparison of prices chart yet--guess I had better be doing that. Also printed off some stuff from Telestial

I'm gathering info as I don't have an IPhone--although would like one--no Smart Phones in our house. We would probably stay with Verizon and really need to wait until the IPhone 5 to have compatibility for abroad service--for what I have heard and read. Rumored to be out Sept 21--and we leave 8 days later--not enough time to learn! I haven't done the comparison of prices chart yet--guess I had better be doing that. Also printed off some stuff from Telestial

I believe Verizon has a program where they'll provide an international phone as a loaner to use while you're in Europe. I don't know the cost, but it might be worth looking into since you're thinking of buying an iPhone soon.

Lew

I believe Verizon has a program where they'll provide an international phone as a loaner to use while you're in Europe. I don't know the cost, but it might be worth looking into since you're thinking of buying an iPhone soon.

Lew

Good idea!

I've been to Verizon 2x and no one has mentioned it--we've been customers for years.

I plan to buy it at the Apple store--would that make a difference?

Lew, You are correct that MOBAL's telephone costs are pretty high. On the other hand, they have absolutely no other fees (monthly or otherwise). For me, the advantage is I have had the same phone number with them for over 5 years and pay nothing other then the rare ocassion when we really need to use the phone. We think its a great deal only for those who simply want a phone for emergencies or ocassional calls. Another huge benefit (when traveling to lots of different places) is that the MOBAL system (actually based on a UK phone number) latches on to the best cell signal and is not locked into a single provider. This means if you get into an area that might not have good coverage for a specific system (such as Verizon) the MOBAL phone will still work.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have had a Mobal phone for 3 years and use it the same way Lew does. We spent 2 weeks traveling around China and always had a good signal. In Canada we don't have Verizon or AT&T so the only other option was to buy an unblocked phone and then buy sim cards for the countries we are visiting. We use our iPads for email and Skype but when you have an elderly parent back home you want to be reachable immediately in a crisis. Just out of curiosity, if you have an iPhone with an International Plan, can you leave your phone on for incoming calls? I was concerned about roaming charges (Mobal has none)

Thanks for the info Lew. I checked Verizon's website. They limit you to 21 days or get charged $199 if not turned in by 30 days. Well, we will be gone 40 days, so that won't work. We have 3 b/b cruises plus pre-cruise in Athens.

Yes, I too, want to be connected in an emergency. I remember the days with an elderly parent and in the Falkland Islands got an e-mail that my dad was in the hospital, but my son kept saying, "Don't come home." Luckily our daughter with her small kids went to stay with him. Then for a couple years we didn't do any traveling except for no more than a state away. But he has since died so we are freer to travel---and I know both he and mom give their blessings as they were always off somewhere!

I have been asked by our guides to provide a contact number where we can be reached in an emergency. I don't check e-mail every day (that takes out a loan to do that!!) So home emergencies I need to know.

I don't know about the Iphone and the incoming calls. I have done a lot of research and even going to the Apple and Verizon stores, but this is quite new to me. Would love to have one and be able to sink with my IMac, but time will tell when I get the OK from DH. AT this point I think the Moble or Telestrial would be my best bet.

I've had a Mobal phone for about 6 years as well. I have Verizon as a carrier, and at the time I didn't have a smart phone. The "loaner" from Verizon was really a rental, and the rental rate alone (without any minute charges) was more than the cost of simply buying the Mobal phone, so that's what I did. It worked very well for potential emergency calls, and a couple of short calls I needed to make home. Of course, Verizon might have changed their program by now, I haven't priced it out since I got the Mobal.

Thanks, Diana,

Guess I will have to do my charts and compare. But for emergencies it's OK and I don't have to worry about losing a "smart phone" if I had one. And don't have to make a decision on the 4s or 5 before we go-if I have a decision to make. Does Mobal walk you through everything? Did you test it before going? The one concern I had was that it is a UK number and people who call you are calling long distance, but I"m sure that will be next to none--hopefully. I wish I knew someone who has the Telistal as they have 2 phones and can use your home phone number--about the same price initially, but need to make my chart to compare.

I really appreciate all the help I am getting her. CC is the BEST!

Thanks, Diana,

Guess I will have to do my charts and compare. But for emergencies it's OK and I don't have to worry about losing a "smart phone" if I had one. And don't have to make a decision on the 4s or 5 before we go-if I have a decision to make. Does Mobal walk you through everything? Did you test it before going? The one concern I had was that it is a UK number and people who call you are calling long distance, but I"m sure that will be next to none--hopefully. I wish I knew someone who has the Telistal as they have 2 phones and can use your home phone number--about the same price initially, but need to make my chart to compare.

Good questions. The phones they sell are normal cell phones (you can see what they offer on their web site) and they provide the SIM. Yes, we did test ours at home when we first got it which meant dialing a UK phone number to make sure our phone rang (it did). We have used our phone in England, France, Spain, France and Portuagal with no problems. Anyone from home can call or text you at any time (just like any cell phone) but you will be charged for every call you receive or make.

Hank

Good questions. The phones they sell are normal cell phones (you can see what they offer on their web site) and they provide the SIM. Yes, we did test ours at home when we first got it which meant dialing a UK phone number to make sure our phone rang (it did). We have used our phone in England, France, Spain, France and Portuagal with no problems. Anyone from home can call or text you at any time (just like any cell phone) but you will be charged for every call you receive or make.

Hank

I have the same phone. I've called home with it but I've told others not to call me unless it was a true emergency because I assumed they would be charged for an international call on their own phone. Do you know if that is true or not? It would make it a lot simpler if they could call without being charged.

I have a Mobal..works great and only use it for emergencies and the quick call back home to check on the house via the neighbors...thats it. If I need to make a local call in Italy I use a phone card bought there and use a landline phone.

I give the Mobal number to family and friends and advise them to only use it only dire situations as they will be incurring international charges as the Mobal is UK based.

The phone is basically for me for emergencies only as it is way to expensive to use for anything else.

What is great about it is that I give it to each of my kids when they travel abroad for study opportunities... and they travel frequently...and they can call me whenever they need to or from whereever they are at the time...it is a great security device to have...as long as used sparingly

However..the best way to communicate via telephone is to use your hotel landline phone and a phone card purchased abroad to call home. I dont have a smartphone and really do not want to have one on a cruise either.

I have the same phone. I've called home with it but I've told others not to call me unless it was a true emergency because I assumed they would be charged for an international call on their own phone. Do you know if that is true or not? It would make it a lot simpler if they could call without being charged.

Yes, its true that anyone calling you from the US would be charged for an International Call to England (because most of the MOBAL phones come with a UK phone number and SIM). At least that is the case on our phone. To be honest, we love this situation since it assures us that friends and family will not call us unless its really important :). Also keep in mind that calls from the US to England are relatively inexpensive on many phone systems.

Hank

pp

yes..unless they have cheap international service on the phone they call you from,they will incur steep charges.

I have verizon for both my US cell and landlines and I know the deal I have for my landline is 7 cents for outgoing international calls to landlinesand 36 cents to cells. ...and when my kids are abroad I set up the same program for my cell so I can call their hotel landlines for 7 cents or the international cell for 36 cents. So if I want to call them on their Mobal from my US phone...I pay 36 cents a minute and they..which ultimately means me...pay approx 1.50 a minute for the Mobal use.

there is no monthly service charge when I use my landline to call abroad but when I set up the plan on my cell it is 3.99 a month and 7 cents a minute to international landlines and 36 cents a minute to a cell.

so if the kids are away for 2 weeks..I pay a one time prorated fee of 2 dollars and 7 cents a minute to call them in their rooms..which I do every night using my verizon cell..I call at whatever time it is here...that equates to midnight wherever they are.

I have a bunch of kids that have studdied and traveled abroad without me and have found the Verizon deal I get from home to call them is great and additionally I have found that the Mobal phone is the best for emergencies and for them to have on their person while abroad.

We are not crazy about smartphones...but other than emails...our system is the best we have found for actually speaking to each other...I can call from my US cell anywhere..anytime...no need for a computer either.

All of you have given great thoughts--and it gets mind boggling at times!!! I did do a chart last night and Mobal is the most expensive of those I checked. But there are pros in other ways. I checked out Telistrial and anotherone that someone mentioned : Cellomobile which also looks pretty good, but have to check out all the ins and outs. You have to recharge it every 9 months or you lose your phone #. $30 per charge to recharge your phone, but that equates to minutes to use. But someone mentioned that with Mobal the charges go directly to your CC. I thought that was a great idea, but someone else said you didn't want that. :confused: At least I have a month yet before we go.

Has anyone here used Cellomobile? I went to Rick STeve's website and the posters there were high on it.

Edited by gerena

...I wish I knew someone who has the Telistal as they have 2 phones and can use your home phone number--about the same price initially, but need to make my chart to compare.

I understand where you're coming from. I was overwhelmed when I researched international cell phones.

3 years ago, I bought a Telestial SIM card and an unlocked quad band phone from Amazon. (Telestial also sells phones, but I'm picky and wanted a different phone.)

One point of clarification - with the Telestial SIM card, you get 2 phone numbers: one is a USA number (but it is NOT your home phone, which I believe is a benefit) and the other is a UK number. Both numbers are active at the same time.

I give the USA phone number to family in the USA. They can call and text me free from their cell phones (all calls/texts to my USA number are free for them because their minutes cover all USA calls.) I pay a small charge to receive their calls/texts and a per minute cost for calls.

I give tour operators my UK number because I receive calls free on that.

We also have Verizon cell phones and you can use the iPhone 4S internationally. (You don't have to wait for the 5.) However, because of the high replacement cost (loss/theft), I leave my iPhone at home. I bring my iPod Touch for apps and my Telestial SIM card and phone.

I also don't want the Verizon loaner international phone for one main reason. It has your own cell phone number on it. If I'm in Europe, I only want to receive (and pay for!) calls/texts from my family, so it works out best for me to have a different cell phone number.

I checked into the Mobal phone before I went with Telestial. I think the Mobal phone is probably easier to use. If my Mom wanted an international cell phone, that's the one I'd tell her to get.

I chose Telestial and love it. You have to read the instructions, but it isn't difficult to use. I'll probably buy another Telestial SIM card and phone before our next trip so DH will have one. We split up a lot when we travel.

Edited by D4

pp

additionally I have found that the Mobal phone is the best for emergencies and for them to have on their person while abroad.

We are not crazy about smartphones...but other than emails...our system is the best we have found for actually speaking to each other...I can call from my US cell anywhere..anytime...no need for a computer either.

has anyone used the National Geographic Cellular Abroad phone? You can buy one for $59 basic model.

you get a UK and a US phone # so people at home can call without charge.

Go on the website for Mobal. I remember their program for this kind of option costing around $25 per annum. You get a "domestic" number assigned to your account which you can provide to whomever you choose. When they dial that number it's like calling your home landline. No cost. You on the other hand pay a slightly higher incoming rate per minute.

We have both a Mobal phone (5 years) and an iPhone 4s with Verizon. We are cruising in Europe next month and will bring both as an experiment to determine which one offers the better service and value. We will post the results of our experiment upon our return to the States.

Edited by Don P