Flam Excursion

zales

Does anyone have any information on any of these Flam Excursions, whether you have done them or know someone who has and their opinions?

1. Overland to Myrdal, Geilo, and Flam

2. Overland to Voss, Tvinde, and Stalheim

3. Flam Railway and Hiking Flam Valley

Not done it with Celebrity, but I suspect our experience was similar.

The Myrdal one involves a trip up the mountain to a little hotel at the top and a stop for pancakes. The scenary is outstanding. Lots of tunnels, lakes, winding roads, waterfalls, etc. Depending on what time of year you go there will still be snow at the top and perhaps some of the lakes will still be frozen.

They also do a coach trip which is much steeper and involves lots more winding roads; it was advertised as not being for anyone who suffers from vertigo. This might be the Voss trip but it was fully booked when we tried for it so I can't comment directly. Maybe someone else can.

The Flam railway (Flamsbana) is the world's steepest railway with magnificent views all the way to a little village at the top. Usually you just hang around, have some pancakes, shop a bit and come back down but it looks like the Celebrity version includes a hike. I don't know what the cost is for you, but the walk from the mooring to the railway office is about 200 yards and you can buy your own ticket for about half the price of a full excursion. Look on the Flamsbana website for fare details and do your own comparison.

The fjord at Flam is really beautiful and a nice spot for a walk around. There is a railway museum, some shops and places to eat. Unless you are going to strike out for a walk you would be hard pushed to spend more than a couple of hours before you've seen it all. There is only room to moor one ship, so if anyone else turns up the second boat has to be served by tender. It might be worth checking beforehand because the trick to doing the railway solo is to get to the ticket office before there is much of a queue.

Does anyone have any information on any of these Flam Excursions, whether you have done them or know someone who has and their opinions?

We were in Flam last summer on HAL Ryndam. The Flam Railway is a must but book the trip as they may have all gone. Do not forget your camera!!

We took the RCL Overland to Voss, Tvinde, and Stalheim tour in 2004 and it was very good. I would assume that it hasn't changed much. We took this tour since it covered so many places in this beautiful area. You can read about our tour and see lots of photos from it on our website www.thepreismans.com. Just click on the Brit Isles/Fjords button.

A few years ago on board Century we did tour nr. 2.

At that time first had a bustour to Tvinde waterfalls incl. a stop there, another nice coffeestop at a restaurant with a great view. After that we continued by bus to Voss.

We had about 2 hours in Voss, incl. a nice lunch at the lake and some tTime to walk around.

On the return we had the trainride to Myrdal (?) and from there the Flamrailwayd down to Flam.

A great tour that took almost all day. It was certainly worth the price.

I hope your tour is the same (or maybe in the opposite direction?).

Thank You guys for your prompt responses.:)

Carol your reviews and pictures were outstanding. I found myself reading several of yours reviews back to back, lol, I even felt your disappointment and excitement with your vivid descriptions. Oh and Las Vegas/Arizona, I have to do a road trip now.:p Thank You so much, very very informative.;)

Thank You guys for your prompt responses.:)

Carol your reviews and pictures were outstanding. I found myself reading several of yours reviews back to back, lol, I even felt your disappointment and excitement with your vivid descriptions. Oh and Las Vegas/Arizona, I have to do a road trip now.:p Thank You so much, very very informative.;)

Thanks for your kind words. Mike and I laughed because we get very few comments on the land tours. We have so many cruise reviews on the site that not many people scroll down that far. Nowadays, Mike does most of the writing, and I just add my two cents and proof read his. The "Westward Ho!" was an older review that I wrote most of, and my style is more personal and less informative. ;) Anyway, thanks again.

Hi

Have just arrived back today from Celebrity Cruise to Iceland and Norway. Fantastic!

We did the Flam Railway tour up and down with Celebrity. Wished we had done the trip up with a walk, but the walk down may not be for the faint hearted!

Yes, you can book locally for cheaper. However, we booked well in advance with Celebrity and the tour was sold out on board with a waiting list and daily enquiries which were obviously begiining to irritate the shore excusion staff as they kept announcing that it was sold out. Others had tried to book direct before the cruise but to no avail. We were the only ship in Flam for much of the day - Europa arrived later. Gather that some on board did manage to book locally on the day, but many more were disappointed.

The station was literally yards from the ship and as soon as we were cleared for disembarkation we saw a long line of people literally running to the station to get tickets!! There were empty seats in our carriages so do not understand why there were so many problems getting tickets.

Our main comment would be that the tour was not the best organised and whilst we were held in four waiting lines before setting off from the ship, in the distance to the railway station it became a bit of a scrum and the same on re-joining the train to come back down. Jostling to get on board for seats would have been avoided by pre-allocation. We had a family member in a wheel chair and received no assistance from ship or railway staff so ended up last in the line and having to lift passenger and then wheel chair on to train. We had checked before hand that having a wheel chair would be OK but despite there being ramps for wheel chairs on the platform no one gave assistance.

IMHO - we sat on the right (looking forward) heading up the mountain and the opposite side left (looking up the mountain, or right looking down) coming down. There are long tunnels with short viewing points for photo's but be quick! Personally I would not have been unhappy to be on the right (looking up) and the same side back down, but I would have been disappointed to be on the left going up and right down when looking in the direction of the train. Whilst the trip up was scenic with an amusing stop at a fabulous water fall (when you hear music look to the right of the water fall) I must confess to be slightly disappointed given the hype this railway trip gets.

Hope that this helps.

Enjoy. Best wishes

Thanks for your kind words. Mike and I laughed because we get very few comments on the land tours. We have so many cruise reviews on the site that not many people scroll down that far. Nowadays, Mike does most of the writing, and I just add my two cents and proof read his. The "Westward Ho!" was an older review that I wrote most of, and my style is more personal and less informative. ;) Anyway, thanks again.

Wow Carol, you totally changed up your siggy, how cool is that:cool:, I was wondering is this the same Carol, lol

Hi

Have just arrived back today from Celebrity Cruise to Iceland and Norway. Fantastic!

We did the Flam Railway tour up and down with Celebrity. Wished we had done the trip up with a walk, but the walk down may not be for the faint hearted!

Yes, you can book locally for cheaper. However, we booked well in advance with Celebrity and the tour was sold out on board with a waiting list and daily enquiries which were obviously begiining to irritate the shore excusion staff as they kept announcing that it was sold out. Others had tried to book direct before the cruise but to no avail. We were the only ship in Flam for much of the day - Europa arrived later. Gather that some on board did manage to book locally on the day, but many more were disappointed.

The station was literally yards from the ship and as soon as we were cleared for disembarkation we saw a long line of people literally running to the station to get tickets!! There were empty seats in our carriages so do not understand why there were so many problems getting tickets.

Our main comment would be that the tour was not the best organised and whilst we were held in four waiting lines before setting off from the ship, in the distance to the railway station it became a bit of a scrum and the same on re-joining the train to come back down. Jostling to get on board for seats would have been avoided by pre-allocation. We had a family member in a wheel chair and received no assistance from ship or railway staff so ended up last in the line and having to lift passenger and then wheel chair on to train. We had checked before hand that having a wheel chair would be OK but despite there being ramps for wheel chairs on the platform no one gave assistance.

IMHO - we sat on the right (looking forward) heading up the mountain and the opposite side left (looking up the mountain, or right looking down) coming down. There are long tunnels with short viewing points for photo's but be quick! Personally I would not have been unhappy to be on the right (looking up) and the same side back down, but I would have been disappointed to be on the left going up and right down when looking in the direction of the train. Whilst the trip up was scenic with an amusing stop at a fabulous water fall (when you hear music look to the right of the water fall) I must confess to be slightly disappointed given the hype this railway trip gets.

Hope that this helps.

Enjoy. Best wishes

Thanx recycle, this definitely helps. Expect the worst, and hope for the best, lol, at least I think this is the saying:o

Our Flam experience was not with Celebrity, but we can added our praise to the glory that is there from doing the rail trip up and back.

What other ports are you visiting? Below you can see me live/blog with info on Bergen and other key areas along that scenic coast.

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 66-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,740 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,545 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From our early July 2010 visit to the highly-rated Sognerfjord, here are some added details and sights from Flam, riding the railroad there, etc. This includes showing the interior of the passenger cars, several views from the train going up and back, the view at the hotel deck of the nearby mountains and the dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip..::

FlamTrainInterior.jpg

FlamTrainValleyView.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

FlamTrainValleyWFallView.jpg

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

Well first I must say that I am honored that you replied to my post. You are like super famous, a celebrity on these boards, your pics and reviews, and wealth of information is just outstanding and they are everywhere on Cruise Critic:cool:. I read your just walk back to the ship post and am now interested in going to Denmark whereas I was not before. You even post about temps and such, lol

So from what I am hearing, it seems as though I may not like the train ride, and may prefer the rail/7mile hike to see the sights better but I kinda don't wanna hike just want to walk if there is such a difference, not many reviews on the hiking part though:( The ports are Olden, Alesund, Geiranger, Oslo, Stavanger, Flam, and Bergen.

Well first I must say that I am honored that you replied to my post. You are like super famous, a celebrity on these boards, your pics and reviews, and wealth of information is just outstanding and they are everywhere on Cruise Critic. I read your just walk back to the ship post and am now interested in going to Denmark whereas I was not before. You even post about temps and such, lol. So from what I am hearing, it seems as though I may not like the train ride, and may prefer the rail/7mile hike to see the sights better but I kinda don't wanna hike just want to walk if there is such a difference, not many reviews on the hiking part though. The ports are Olden, Alesund, Geiranger, Oslo, Stavanger, Flam, and Bergen.

WOW!! Appreciate your super kind and nice comments. Not sure that I'm "super famous, a celebrity". Doubt it, but it makes my day. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make such generous comments.

Yes, Copenhagen and Denmark are super charming and interesting. You'll love it. As you'll see in the below live/blog, we did Alesund, Geiranger, Flam, and Bergen. Wonderful options in all of these places. We did Oslo in 2008 while sailing from Dover/southern England on the way to the Baltics and Russia. Below are some ideas and tips to consider for Oslo.

Keep these good questions and comments rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Reactions and added questions??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,842 views.

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

At the National Museum in Oslo, there is Munch art, including one of his two famed Scream painting that are in this Norway capital. At the separate Munch Museum, just a little distance away from central Oslo, there is one of the other Scream painting in Oslo. There are many other Munch pieces at this museum by the famed artist.:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Here is Oslo’s City Hall exterior. The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded here annually in early December. On the inside are a wide variety of interesting art and design items.:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

Oslo’s new Opera House opened in 2008 right on the waterfront at the top or head of the Oslofjord. Home of the Norwegian National Opera and Ballet, it cost over $700 million to build. The main auditorium seats 1,364 seats and has two other performance spaces seating 200 and 400. The main stage is 52 feet wide and 130 feet deep. The angled exterior surfaces of the building are covered with Italian marble and white granite to make it appear to be rising from the water. It is the largest cultural building constructed in Norway since Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim was completed around 1300.:

1A-Oslo-NewOpera.jpg

Sailing out from Oslo with the red brick City Hall in the background and the surrounding areas and “hills” showing around this so-called “fjord”.:

1A-Oslo-SailingOut.jpg

I thank you as well for your kind comments, I just like to give credit, where credit is due, and you just go above and beyond:D

Thanx for the tips in Oslo, the Scream painting is always a hit, so will definitely take your suggestion and go there and I had no idea that the Viking ship was so close to the cruise ship so will definitely go there as well.

Vigeland Park:eek:, your pics are beautiful, and this park is definitely unique, but...:eek:, lol but a little to graphic for my camera, lol:o

I thank you as well for your kind comments, I just like to give credit, where credit is due, and you just go above and beyond. Thanx for the tips in Oslo, the Scream painting is always a hit, so will definitely take your suggestion and go there and I had no idea that the Viking ship was so close to the cruise ship so will definitely go there as well. Vigeland Park, your pics are beautiful, and this park is definitely unique, but..., lol but a little to graphic for my camera, lol

Appreciate your added comments. Sorry on Mr. Vigeland. Apparently, he didn't have a "clothing budget". That's just the way they are and in Europe, it's called "art".

Just so I don't short some of your upcoming other stops in Alesund, Geiranger, Flam, and Bergen, here are a few more visuals to get you excited about your many wonderful stops in Norway. Need more and/or anything special in "visual samples" from these wonderful areas?

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

More Alesund area info at:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,910 views.

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

In Bergen’s historic Hanseatic warehouse area, this folk music group is entertaining as people sit outside, drink beer (at $13.25 each) and enjoy the great weather day.:

BergenFolkSingers.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. Below are more pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. This includes a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

Clothing budget, lol I like your sense of humor:p.

OMG, all of these beautiful pictures, I am starting to get confused, like the matching game (match the port that this pic belongs to):D

I am loving the history behind these ports. I feel so sorry for that one soul who didn't make it. I guess when it's your time to go, it just happens that way:(

I looked up Wilheim, and it doesn't state whether or not he helped to rebuild Alesund. Did he just do the temporary shelters. and the people of Alesund just rebuilt their own city?

BTW Terry, have you done any of these Med ports, Sicily, Santorini, Athens, Turkey, Rhodes, or Mykonos?

YES, have done Athens, Turkish Coast (Bodrum and Ephesus, plus spectacular Istanbul) and Mykonos. Below are two pictures from wonderful Mykonos (don't want to sidetrack this thread too much or I would post more here). Santorini, Rhodes and Sicily are high on our to-do future list.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had nearly 5,000 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Post some follow-up questions on the Athens board and I will be happy to answer more there for this lovely part of the Med.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,910 views.

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Thank You so much Terry, I hope to see you soon on another thread:)

Don't be shy (as you have overcome that challenge long ago, fortunately). Just posted more items and ideas on the Greek board for Athens and nearby. Keep the good questions and comments rolling along.

THANKS for the interest and comments! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived