Toddler Items You're Glad You Brought

PhotoGal07

We'll be closing with our two year old daughter for the first time come November, and I'm wondering if there are any items you're glad you brought, or really wish that you had. I'm starting to put together a packing list, and want to make sure I don't pack the kitchen sink (which between car seats, security blankets, and juice cups, it already feels like), while still managing to get all the important stuff in the suitcase.

Thanks!

We took our (then) 2-year-old on a Mediterranean cruise a couple of years ago and were definitely glad we brought:

• some small, toddler-appropriate utensils because she found their forks/spoons rather large.
  • our own pump soap for the bathroom -- much easier to clean little hands that way than with bar soap.
  • plenty of little munching snacks for excursions, quiet time, etc. (little crackers, raisins, other dried fruit pieces, and so on).
  • Ziploc baggies for storing leftover snacks for later.

Also, I don't know where you are traveling, but we also brought a very small inflatable booster seat that unzips quickly and attaches to most seats. This was a lifesaver when we didn't want to hunt for a high chair, or when (on shore) none were available.

You'll love cruising with a little one and not having to fuss over as many logistics as you would if you were planning multiple stops by land!

Flat folding step stool. The sink seems pretty high and even our 4 yr old needed it last year to wash her hands without being picked up. We are bringing it again this year for our 3 and 5 yr old.

If potty trained small folding seat to put on the potty for the room.

Quiet activities to bring to dinner to occupy them (last year I brought shape foam magnet building set. This year I am bringing foam stickers and those foam shapes so they can do an art project. Takes a while to peel each sticker so it occupies them.) Must have worked bc tables around us the last night said other than how cute they looked dressed up they forgot they were there they were so quiet!

If your child uses sippy cups, toddler silverware etc. They gave my 2 year old a tall thin glass with no lid every night. Made me nervous but luckily no misshaps.

Also, if you're on a ship that doesn't allow diapered kids in the pool, bring a blow-up tub...useful for bathing if you only have a shower, and can be used on deck for splashing.

Packing for small kids will be a pain.....but the ship has nothing for the "underaged", so it's a must!

We will be cruising with DD next year when she is 2 1/2. I like the pump soap idea!

We plan to take...

Some pre-packaged snacks

Utensils & cups with tops (sippy ones if she's still using them)

Her favorite bed buddies

A stroller with a shade (probably the smaller stroller my mom has as ours wouldn't fit through door ways)

Sunblock (we use neutrogena free and clear at the suggestion of our pedi and she does really well with it--don't want to risk not being able to get that and not know how she'd react to anything else).

Children's tylenol, etc.

A portable travel potty for on shore (based on where she is now she will most likely be potty trained by then and this folds up and uses disposable bags)

Things to keep her occupied in the dining room (probably books & a tablet with toddler games for her or portable dvd player with headphones--I also like the sticker idea too).

I like the pump soap idea too! I would also bring a plug in night light. The room is really pitch black at night. I would also bring dishwashing soap and a bottle brush to wash sippy cups if you don't use the ones you toss. My son likes certain cups so we'll be washing. Also, laundry detergent just in case and lysol wipes to clean surfaces in the room as well as the anti bacterial wet ones for hand cleaning.

I know no one likes doing dishes on vacation, but we're getting ready to take our little guy on his 3rd cruise, and I always take sippy cups with me. Even though, he will drink out of a milk carton with a straw, for excursions and stuff I still like to pack a cold cup of milk in a sippy.

But I can't take enough cups to last the entire journey, so I take a clean sponge.

I also go to the pharmacy and ask for a 3 ounce medicine bottle (free). I fill it with dish washing soap and it doesn't leak! Perfect for washing sippy cups and lids in the cabin bathroom sink!

Have fun! Cruising with kids is sooo easy, I love it.

Lots of great tips on here already. I see your upcoming cruise is with NCL which is very kid-friendly. Your 2 year old is old enough to go into the kids club which is good for keeping them occupied during sailing time. (We've just did NCL Pearl to Alaska with an almost 3 year old and 11 month old) I second the tips about ziplock bags, grabbing cereal box at brekky, bringing night lights, and medical kit in case your kid gets sick. A visit to the medical centre is expensive to just get tylenol or sea-sickness medicine ($150+ but can be reimbursed if you have travel insurance).

Also, the NCL kids menu is actually a colouring page and they hand out a couple of crayons to go with it. It still wouldn't hurt to bring stickers and other things though if your kid isn't into colouring.

Finally, if your kid is at the toilet training stage, pull-ups is your friend! Bring more than what you need. Our son is almost fully toilet trained and has been wearing proper undies for a couple of months now, but we went back to pull-ups just for the cruise. It was wonderful as I didn't have to wash up any accidents and my son was already past that point of reverting, he told us when he needed to go to the toilet.

Archived