Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Posh was also 18 and over, and there weren't a whole lot of problems with kids in Posh, occasionally teens of questionable age. When we were in Posh, the age restriction was completely enforced. The kids problem is in the Haven itself - but that's where the suite kids go - to the Haven pool and hot tubs.

Robin

Oh so the problem will still exist then with the children. dang..oooh :eek:

see, thats why its called conjuncture:):p

Now that reviews are coming in, has anyone read anything about Carlos Bake shop? I've been looking but I have not found anything regarding how good are the 'treats'. Is it worth the hype to pay extra for the sweet treats? I have seen pictures, but nothing on anyone trying anything yet. The cakes and all look very good.

CruisingSwedes had pictures of Carlos Bake Shop and she said she tried a cannoli and thought it was good. I believe she said she never had a cannoli before.

I found an article about Carlos Bake Shop talking about the prices on the Breakaway ranging from $3.00 for cannolis up to $49 for cakes.

I went to their real bakery website and the small polka dot fondant cakes I saw on the Breakaway cost $49 in his store. $49 for a tiny cake!!! Have they lost their mind???

Ben the Bendyman is supposed to track down the price list and post it. When he does I'll make sure to repost it here.

CruisingSwedes had pictures of Carlos Bake Shop and she said she tried a cannoli and thought it was good. I believe she said she never had a cannoli before.

I found an article about Carlos Bake Shop talking about the prices on the Breakaway ranging from $3.00 for cannolis up to $49 for cakes.

I went to their real bakery website and the small polka dot fondant cakes I saw on the Breakaway cost $49 in his store. $49 for a tiny cake!!! Have they lost their mind???

Ben the Bendyman is supposed to track down the price list and post it. When he does I'll make sure to repost it here.

They are so nasty too. I don't get why everyone raves about his cakes! Well, I guess if you like fondant .... I think that stuff tastes like plastic! LOL

I love the haven and I am very happy that it has 2 levels so if kids want to splash and have fun in the pool it really wont affect me too much. Maybe I am missing something but aside from the cabanas (which has to be paid for) I fail to see what the draw is. What does Vibe have that the haven does not?

I went to their real bakery website and the small polka dot fondant cakes I saw on the Breakaway cost $49 in his store. $49 for a tiny cake!!! Have they lost their mind??? HECK YEA!

Ben the Bendyman is supposed to track down the price list and post it. When he does I'll make sure to repost it here.Thanks that would be great

I know i visited Georgetown of couple of years ago. And the Line was wrapped up the side walk at Georgetown Cupcakes. It was near 100 degrees that day...I thought no dayum cupcake is worth that type of wait.

Once i try that lobster thing at Carlos', I may stick to the Gelatos...

To partially answer the balcony opening to the one next door, it used to be possible, then "they" decided it wasn't safe to have them open while at sea, so your cabin steward could open them while in port. Not sure how it will work on the Breakaway. On my Jan cruise on the Jewel, we got them opened. Had 4 rooms together.

Thanks.... At port works for me!!

I haven't tried anything from Carlos Bake Shop (there is new shop in the Port Authority building in New York). I'm going into the city on the 14th, instead of Crumbs, I'll try it.

I did hear that their cakes are good but VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. This coming from a woman that walked into the bake shop in Hoboken and wanted just a small cake from the counter display, nothing real fancy. I think she said it was $45 or $50 and this was BEFORE he had his hit TV show. I'm not sure what his prices are now or what his prices would be on the ship.

I'm not that interested in buying something from Carlos' on board ;) i can go into NJ and get something if I wanted... not worth it for me, even though I love my desserts! :)

I love the haven and I am very happy that it has 2 levels so if kids want to splash and have fun in the pool it really wont affect me too much. Maybe I am missing something but aside from the cabanas (which has to be paid for) I fail to see what the draw is. What does Vibe have that the haven does not?

I personally would not pay for a suite for several reasons. We don't utilize the cabin enough for it to be worth it to us, and, honestly, I wouldn't want that many little kids running around me. There have been too many complaints for me to even attempt it. So, for us, Vibe is definitely worth it (well, for me. My husband is quite content with the aft-facing balcony). I don't have to worry about it being overcrowded (won't do Posh for that reason - too crowded), it's adult only, and it's away from the craziness. Also, $300 for the week for an assigned cabana is very much worth it.

They are so nasty too. I don't get why everyone raves about his cakes! Well, I guess if you like fondant .... I think that stuff tastes like plastic! LOL

hehehe at plastic, i just think they PLAY with it to put it on the cake, that's what skeeves me LOL

I personally would not pay for a suite for several reasons. We don't utilize the cabin enough for it to be worth it to us, and, honestly, I wouldn't want that many little kids running around me. There have been too many complaints for me to even attempt it. So, for us, Vibe is definitely worth it (well, for me. My husband is quite content with the aft-facing balcony). I don't have to worry about it being overcrowded (won't do Posh for that reason - too crowded), it's adult only, and it's away from the craziness.

I understand why one would not pay for the haven. I don't understand why once you are in the haven you would use vibe( except for the cabanas)

I have cruised in the haven many times and never had trouble with kids. I don't have or want kids so if it was a problem I would not continue to book the haven. In my experience drunk adults are more inconsiderate ( I am a bartender so I have a high tolerance for drunk people) then kids just being kids.

Now that reviews are coming in, has anyone read anything about Carlos Bake shop? I've been looking but I have not found anything regarding how good are the 'treats'. Is it worth the hype to pay extra for the sweet treats? I have seen pictures, but nothing on anyone trying anything yet. The cakes and all look very good.
I'm orginally from Hoboken so I am VERY familiar with Carlos' bakery. He was good many years ago and still is but definitely way overrated. He actually became very popular even before his TV show Cake Boss mostly because Hoboken became a little "Manhattan" His store location helped tremendously as he was only a couple of blocks from the path trains into NYC. It was and presently is the stop to bakery right before heading off to work. In any case, there are a few other bakeries in Jersey that are much better and not so overpriced either.

I understand why one would not pay for the haven. I don't understand why once you are in the haven you would use vibe( except for the cabanas)

Oh I agree. If you are booking a suite, you should definitely utilize the Haven since it is included.

Unless you are disappointed with the variety of free offerings of dessert on the ship...or you see something that you simply MUST have...I'd skip it.

I've been to his bakery here in NJ a couple times.....and it's just OK. I had to be forced to go the second time...but I wanted to give them another chance, but was just as disappointed as the 1st time.

Since his actual bakery is just OK...I can't imagine his offerings on the ship will even live up to OK.

I have a small local bakery near my home that's been around for decades. Carlos doesn't even come close.

But again... $3 to say you had a Carlos baked good isn't that big a deal.

Never had a cannoli before???? WOW, no wonder why he/she thought it was good.;)

Yup. Not a big deal. The thing people don't realize, I think, is just how expensive the Haven suites can be. On our sailing, it was over $10,000 for two people. So yeah, there is a bit of expectation that certain things should be included at that price. I agree, when a balcony costs almost $5000 for two, it sure feels expensive, but with the Haven suites at twice that price, it gets to REALLY feeling expensive, so it's all relative. We will see how this Vibe thing works out, perhaps there is no longer much reason to pay double for the Haven, just book an M6 and spend the cash elsewhere...

Robin

During our two weeks on the Epic (not B2B) I think we only ate in the Epic Club 1-2 times. The other times we booked specialty restaurants. I must admit, I kind of felt I should take advantage of the Epic Club restaurant MORE since it was a perk that came with the suite. Yet, there's always that desire to try out the other spots on the ship.

Tom

Carlos, has been a staple in Hobo NJ for years. But, his store was chosen at random for a docu-series. For some reason they (TLC) decided to go with the bakery as a location shoot for a reality series.

While his bakery is good, it's not great. It has become a tourist trap, people line up for HOURS to get inside. Everyone tries to get a glimpse of the Volestro family, but they are hardly ever there, except for when they filming the series. Most people leave disappointed.

There are other GREAT bakery's in the area like Old German, Antique & Sweet. No lines there just real good baked good's and about half the price of Carlos.

Now that they are so popular (And good for them) there prices are CRAZY, they now mass produce a lot of their inventory, ship nationwide, and yes, quality has suffered.

But the family are now multi millionaires. so, GOD bless them. But they are marginal at best now. But if it were me, I would have done the same thing as the Volestro family did.

$49 for a small cake from the Cake Boss, Oh well. that is capitalism at its greatest.

Carlos-Bakery-Line-9-2-2011.jpg.330b7b6cc6284c25592ab358fc8e708f.jpg

Here is something interesting that Cubechick posted on her blog today.

"One of my fellow travelers was told by Ruth that it is only for this sailing that Vibe will be open to suite guests. Going forward Haven residents will have to buy a Vibe pass like everyone else. Given the prices they are charging for the suites on the Breakaway, I hope this rumor will prove false!"

I hope it proves true. Suites already have the haven.

During our two weeks on the Epic (not B2B) I think we only ate in the Epic Club 1-2 times. The other times we booked specialty restaurants. I must admit, I kind of felt I should take advantage of the Epic Club restaurant MORE since it was a perk that came with the suite. Yet, there's always that desire to try out the other spots on the ship.

Tom

I totally agree. On the Epic, we only ate one breakfast, no lunches, and had one dinner (room service) from the Epic Club -I would rather dine elsewhere at the Specialties. We never used the Haven at all, as it was full of families (hot tubs were filled with kids all day and night) and was very loud, not a complaint, because the families paid to be there too. Posh was our saving grace. Now with the balcony of the S4 cut to half the previous size, there's no incentive for booking it really. I love the "no worries, it's taken care of" part of Haven cruising, but now that I have to rush on board to buy Vibe passes, spa passes, etc, its losing a lot of it's charm. Too much fighting for a place in line to pay ten thousand dollars for. Thought the Epic was a nice balance - Posh for small for suite guests and Spice H20 had tons of adult space for others. On the Breakaway they made Spice waaaay too small...

Robin

NCL's web site is showing a "waterfall" feature in Vibe similar to what they have in H2O. I don't see that on any of the pictures though. Is there one?

This is by Fire island on the Breakaway. The big screen is behind you as you look at this.

IMG_5354_zps20465ef5.jpg

Archived