Olden Glaciers

zales

I just returned from a fjord cruise at the beginning of this month. My family and I (ages ranging from 13 to 76) chose to do the Briksdal Glacier excursion. I do not usually like to do ship excursions, but Olden is a small town and this excursion was our best choice. Everyone in my group absolutely loved this experience. Instead of moving in mass we were able to hike at our own pace, as there was no way to get lost. While the glacier was the highlight, the hike was absolutely lovely and worth doing the excursion just for that. At the end of the hike we were greeted with an unbelievable assortment of Norwegian treats, coffee, and water. The hospitality was not to be matched.

After returning from the glacier we had plenty of time to walk into Olden and see the Olden Church, which is still not heated, nor does it have electricity. All in all Olden was a favorite day for the 8 of us.

Whatever your choice, I am sure you will be pleased. Norway is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is too late, but I've only just discovered the Ports board and thought I'd post our experience.

We returned from the fjords last week having stopped in Olden. This is really a very small place and the ship will dock some way from the "centre" - I suggest you type "Olden cruise port" into google maps and then use the street view to have a look around. There is a Tourist Office at the farthest (right hand) end of the jetty where you'll be able to get bus times etc (9:40 when we were there) which will take you to the Briksdal Glacier. The bus "stop" (not really a stop) is at the other end of the jetty (left hand side as you leave the ship); the trip costs 45Nok each way (c£5) and takes about 45 mins. It a pretty good bet that there will be others on the DIY tour as well. Our return bus left at 13:30 which gave plenty of time for the walk to the glacier and back (about 6km in total) and a visit to the gift shop and cafe! I felt that the $59 p/p (from memory) or so that the ship wanted for a tour was a bit excessive. As has been mentioned, you do the walk at your own pace - there did not appear to be any "guiding" by cruise tours going on!! One word of advice - make sure you take a waterproof as there is one particular waterfall which will drench you if the wind is in the wrong direction, but the glacier is worth the walk and the walk will offset some of the ship food!!! Have a great time - I wish we were going back... BTW the sail-in to Olden is pretty spectacular too!

Can anyone give me their opinions on which glacier excursion may be better. I read that Briksdale Glacier is popular, but Kjenndalen Glacier is more scenic.

Briksdalen Glacier is extremely scenic. We were there in June this year and it was one of the best excursions we have taken, and it is doable on your own, either by buying bus tickets in advance through Shore Excursions Norway, which included the return bus tickets and coffee and cake at the Briksdalen Lodge for 290 NOK pp, or at the Tourist information Centre for 240 NOK pp. There is also a Briksdalen Express bus as far as I understand for 45 USD pp. The local bus takes 45 minutes to get there and there is about another 45 minute leisurely walk up to the bottom of the glacier, or you can pay extra to go by troll cars if you find the walk is too difficult for you. This excursion is well worth every penny you pay IMHO. I'm afraid I can't comment on the Kjenndalen Glacier as we didn't go there.

Westerntrader's directions to get to the local bus stop is extremely good. It's just a stone's throw away from the pier, on the left hand side, and it's unmarked.

However you get there, you'll be able to enjoy the most amazing scenery as you drive through the valleys enjoying the breathtaking scenery with waterfalls, winding roads etc.

NOT TO BE MISSED also is the entry by the ship into Olden, and I'm sure the boat cruise on Lake Olden would be great also if you happen to have more than one day there and the weather is sunny.

We had an aft balcony on our Fjords trip and we spent a fair bit of time on the deck as we went through the fjords. It was absolutely breathtaking and awesome, and I'd do this itinerary again in a heart beat.

Enjoy.

I'm not sure if this is too late, but I've only just discovered the Ports board and thought I'd post our experience.

We returned from the fjords last week having stopped in Olden. This is really a very small place and the ship will dock some way from the "centre" - I suggest you type "Olden cruise port" into google maps and then use the street view to have a look around. There is a Tourist Office at the farthest (right hand) end of the jetty where you'll be able to get bus times etc (9:40 when we were there) which will take you to the Briksdal Glacier. The bus "stop" (not really a stop) is at the other end of the jetty (left hand side as you leave the ship); the trip costs 45Nok each way (c£5) and takes about 45 mins. It a pretty good bet that there will be others on the DIY tour as well. Our return bus left at 13:30 which gave plenty of time for the walk to the glacier and back (about 6km in total) and a visit to the gift shop and cafe! I felt that the $59 p/p (from memory) or so that the ship wanted for a tour was a bit excessive. As has been mentioned, you do the walk at your own pace - there did not appear to be any "guiding" by cruise tours going on!! One word of advice - make sure you take a waterproof as there is one particular waterfall which will drench you if the wind is in the wrong direction, but the glacier is worth the walk and the walk will offset some of the ship food!!! Have a great time - I wish we were going back... BTW the sail-in to Olden is pretty spectacular too!

Hi,in July we did the above lovely coach and driver,there were only 10 on board, we then went to the troll car office and took the car up the mountain.I can't remember the cost but it was much cheaper than the ship

Janice

Northbay, Thank You so much for your Descriptive input. You had me doing some math for a minute there trying to find out how much Noks were, lol. Also Thank You for telling me about Shore Excursion Norway, very informative. I have not heard heard anyone talk about the entry into Olden, so that is another thing to put on my list:D I am very happy to hear that the walk is only about 45min and that it is not very difficult. Thanx again:cool:

WesternTrader you are definitely not too late, lol Thank You for telling me about Olden Cruise Port, very informative. I don't think I am too adventurous yet to DIY, but if there are others on the roll call:rolleyes: and least I have a price range to work with, and as for waterproof nnnoooooo,:eek: I don't want to get wet, cuz I am already going to be cold,:( but hey I can't say I wasn't warned, so Thank You:)

Zales

I was a bit like you and reluctant to DIY, so I booked the Shore Excursions trip (mentioned above). When we got to the port there was no representative to meet us and we were left wondering what to do… Luckily someone else touting trips was on hand to suggest the local bus, so we went to queue for that. The bus driver accepted the print-out that I had and we were allowed on, but we had paid 290Nok for a 45Nok bus ride and some free cake at the “cake buffet” at Briksdal. No guide, no meet & greet, not even decent instructions. My advice: take the ships tour or go DIY completely. Incidentally, there were 10-15 others (from a ship carrying 2000 people) also queuing for the bus, so I’d doubt that you’d be alone – and the Tourist Office is right on the jetty.

Anyway, it’s your call, but the walk and the photo opportunity in front of the glacier are worth the effort!

OMG:eek: That was terrible, I would have definitely freaked out, and to add insult to injury the price difference, wow. I would have probably jumped on the Celebrity bus and begged for Mercy. So happy that everything worked out in the end, you would have missed out on such a great excursion.

Just returned and though I would share, wonderful time.

Ship docks in a lovely setting in a very small town. Briksdalen Glacier is the main attraction but is 45 minutes away by bus. Wanting to do something unusual, my wife had arranged for our group to paddle out among the icebergs on the Briksdalen Glacier Lake, which is at the tongue of the Briksdalen arm of the biggest glacier in Europe (Jostedal Glacier). We had a beautiful and amazing ride in a small van up to the Briksdalen Adventure Park area where there is a nice souvenir shop and facilities and if you have a large enough group and pre-arrange it, you can do things like Viking bowling, archery, axe throwing, climbing towers. However, we had chosen paddling in the lake and so our group began our nice hike up to the tongue of the Glacier. Hike was medium activity level along a decent path – about 3km; we passed several areas of waterfalls and whitewater before arriving at our destination with our guide. However, on arrival, we were told that due to high winds, we would not be able to paddle on the lake. We were all disappointed but agreed that the winds were excessive; although our guide was very informative about the glacier, he did not charge for the activity since we weren’t able to paddle. We did tip at our own discretion. Cost for the transportation was 250 NOK pp; our contact for this was: frode@briksdalsbre.no; 47+90 13 8308. Back in Olden by 1pm, we decided to rent bikes and bike around the town of Olden. Brilliant decision with very decent bikes and bike paths! Evidently, there were some good sales being held at a local store, but by the time we got back to the center of town, we discovered the main shop with the great bargains had already closed – very early! Another amazing little town in Norway!

cruisinbob.com

• 3 weeks later...
I just returned from a fjord cruise at the beginning of this month. My family and I (ages ranging from 13 to 76) chose to do the Briksdal Glacier excursion. I do not usually like to do ship excursions, but Olden is a small town and this excursion was our best choice. Everyone in my group absolutely loved this experience. Instead of moving in mass we were able to hike at our own pace, as there was no way to get lost. While the glacier was the highlight, the hike was absolutely lovely and worth doing the excursion just for that. At the end of the hike we were greeted with an unbelievable assortment of Norwegian treats, coffee, and water. The hospitality was not to be matched.

After returning from the glacier we had plenty of time to walk into Olden and see the Olden Church, which is still not heated, nor does it have electricity. All in all Olden was a favorite day for the 8 of us.

Whatever your choice, I am sure you will be pleased. Norway is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

Good, useful info....thanks for post

Just returned and though I would share, wonderful time.

Ship docks in a lovely setting in a very small town. Briksdalen Glacier is the main attraction but is 45 minutes away by bus. Wanting to do something unusual, my wife had arranged for our group to paddle out among the icebergs on the Briksdalen Glacier Lake, which is at the tongue of the Briksdalen arm of the biggest glacier in Europe (Jostedal Glacier). We had a beautiful and amazing ride in a small van up to the Briksdalen Adventure Park area where there is a nice souvenir shop and facilities and if you have a large enough group and pre-arrange it, you can do things like Viking bowling, archery, axe throwing, climbing towers. However, we had chosen paddling in the lake and so our group began our nice hike up to the tongue of the Glacier. Hike was medium activity level along a decent path – about 3km; we passed several areas of waterfalls and whitewater before arriving at our destination with our guide. However, on arrival, we were told that due to high winds, we would not be able to paddle on the lake. We were all disappointed but agreed that the winds were excessive; although our guide was very informative about the glacier, he did not charge for the activity since we weren’t able to paddle. We did tip at our own discretion. Cost for the transportation was 250 NOK pp; our contact for this was: frode@briksdalsbre.no; 47+90 13 8308.

cruisinbob.com

Just wanted to say that this trip was offered as a ship's excursion by P & O. Don't know how the price compares. Saw it on their video at the ports talk on board and it looked fun!

Just wanted to say that this trip was offered as a ship's excursion by P & O. Don't know how the price compares. Saw it on their video at the ports talk on board and it looked fun!

I rarely if ever go on ship excursions, and I was on an RCL ship you mentioned P & O?

To all who have posted on my blog, thanks, it was a wonderful trip do not know if I will do it again as there are so many great places yet to see.

http://www.cruisinbob.com

I rarely if ever go on ship excursions, and I was on an RCL ship you mentioned P & O?

www.cruisinbob.com

Yes, P & O, but so what! I was just letting people know they might find it offered as a ship's excursion, so they could compare prices. Also some people prefer to do the ship's excursions, even if you don't. Also stating it looked a fun trip. Remarks not especially addressed to you personally.

Yes, P & O, but so what! I was just letting people know they might find it offered as a ship's excursion, so they could compare prices. Also some people prefer to do the ship's excursions, even if you don't. Also stating it looked a fun trip. Remarks not especially addressed to you personally.

I don't mean to butt in here but since I started this thread...marylizcat wack001 I believe was merely trying to give his personal take on shore excursions and trying to understand/clear up your statement since you quoted him. Forgive me if I am wrong but it just seemed like you were attacking him.:(

I don't mean to butt in here but since I started this thread...marylizcat wack001 I believe was merely trying to give his personal take on shore excursions and trying to understand/clear up your statement since you quoted him. Forgive me if I am wrong but it just seemed like you were attacking him.:(

Good grief! I wasn't attacking him! I was just trying to help others who might think his excursion sounded interesting. Also saying the film we saw of it showed what fun it was. Talk about divided by a common language! I was supporting him not attacking him....

Archived