The Unloved Solo

thephantomsgirl

I think it should be a bit cheaperr than 200% also.

When I stay in hotels I ask for a single price if one is not advertised.

I stayed in one hotel once and they refused my request for a slight discount. So at breakfast I ordered 2 pancakes (they weren't big). I ate them both. The next day they quieried my order for 2 as I was only one person. I had a word with the manager. As I was paying the same as 2 people I was entitled to 2 breakfasts.

You are not getting everything that 2 people pay for so I think a slight discount is appropriate.

Travel can be a muddle :D It seems that the whole world is geared for couples :rolleyes:

My question is, do those that cruise solo do that as a choice? Do they prefer to be alone? If that is the case I think that it would be a premium you would need to pay for.

Even if I didn't have my husband, I can always find someone to share my room, a sister or a friend.

Please explain to me why some would choose to sail solo, and why they should get breaks when they are in a cabin that could accomodate more people.

Yes, I choose to cruise solo, but no, I don't prefer to be alone. I would prefer to have a friend or spouse with me, but my friends don't share my vacation preferences (or budgets) and I am unattached.......so I choose to cruise solo instead of not cruising at all.

It's not that solo passengers are looking for any price breaks, it's that they don't want to pay more than other passengers on the ship. Why should they pay more for the same bed, the same room, the same service, the same food as any other passenger? If their cabin had 2 people instead of 1, the cruise ship would need to use more food, more laundry, more waitstaff time, etc, so why is that 1 person expected to pay as if there are 2 of them?

Personally, I believe Crystal is the most welcoming to solo passengers and treats them the best, and offers the best value for solo cruisers on the oceans (don't know about river cruises).

I know what you mean. I'm pricing a Canada New England cruise and found Carnival a better bargain at 200% than Princess at 150%. CCL's double occupancy rate is about half Princess's. :cool:

Just don't confuse price with value. In my opinion, Carnival at any price is no bargain, and certainly no value.

Just don't confuse price with value. In my opinion, Carnival at any price is no bargain, and certainly no value.

My experiences have been good. I've done Carnival 8 times, Princess twice and HAL 4.

Edited by Thoth

Obviously it suits what you want. I didn't like my Carnival cruise experience at all, and won't get anywhere near them again.

Interesting :) Just out of curiosity what was the difference that you noticed ? While I'm not a food person ( eat to live) food was about the same. An inside cabin was still an inside cabin, the production shows about the same, the same staff, and itineraries make the cruise for me. Juneau is still Juneau, Halifax was still Halifax.

There are some differences in the demographics I suppose. I tend to prefer the relatively younger higher energy crowed myself. :D

Edited by Thoth

Interesting :) Just out of curiosity what was the difference that you noticed ? While I'm not a food person ( eat to live) food was about the same. An inside cabin was still an inside cabin, the production shows about the same, the same staff, and itineraries make the cruise for me. Juneau is still Juneau, Halifax was still Halifax.

There are some differences in the demographics I suppose. I tend to prefer the relatively younger higher energy crowed myself. :D

Much higher on-board sales pressure, worse food, more crowds, more noise. As I said, different strokes......

If the itinerary is all that matters to you, I understand it might not matter what the cruise ship is, but I like to cruise, not to be in port.

Much higher on-board sales pressure, worse food, more crowds, more noise. As I said, different strokes......

If the itinerary is all that matters to you, I understand it might not matter what the cruise ship is, but I like to cruise, not to be in port.

I know what you mean about loud announcements. No I don't want to win "free jewelry" :rolleyes:

Speaking of cruises as opposed to ports, someday I hope to do the trans-Atlantic.

I know what you mean about loud announcements. No I don't want to win "free jewelry" :rolleyes:

Speaking of cruises as opposed to ports, someday I hope to do the trans-Atlantic.

I got back from a trans-Atlantic cruise last month, and it was wonderful.....yes, it being a Crystal cruise was no doubt part of that, but being in the middle of the ocean was incredibly calming to me. I'm now looking towards a slightly longer (15d) trans-Pacific, either Tokyo to California, or California to NZ.

I got back from a trans-Atlantic cruise last month, and it was wonderful.....yes, it being a Crystal cruise was no doubt part of that, but being in the middle of the ocean was incredibly calming to me. I'm now looking towards a slightly longer (15d) trans-Pacific, either Tokyo to California, or California to NZ.

Trans-Pacific sounds nice ! No doubt if one were to travel across the ocean that a more elegant ship would be in order. You should be well rested also. My recent Princess California cruise was a port every day and I can't miss the great attractions on land, so I came home tired :(

• 8 months later...
Reasons I would like to cruise solo (notice I said LIKE to, not HAVE to):

1. I have three teenagers at home and need a break from people.

2. I'm enrolled more than full time in a challenging academic program and need a break from people.

3. DH works and can't always get away. Plus, someone has to stay home with the three teenagers.

4. I've always preferred to live alone but of course won't toss DH and kids out the window in order to have my own space. Why not have my own space for a week or so per year?

5. I'm one of the funniest, smartest, and most entertaining people I know; why wouldn't I want to travel with myself?

In answer to your other question, I don't think the cruise lines should be obligated to give solo travelers breaks. They will lose revenue because pax #2 won't be buying drinks, pics, shore excursions, trinkets, etc. I get it and so do most of the others here. That doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

I think you are UNFORTUNATE that you are afraid/unable/unwilling to travel solo. Don't pity me; I am very comfortable being by myself and don't have to rely on others for entertainment or validation. I didn't take your post as unsympathetic, I took it as impolite.

Are we related? I'm not married because I prefer living alone - if my son would ever get out of college I would finally be on my own!! I have not cruised yet - 1st time July 2014 with a friend, but I"m already hoping to land a late fall cruise out of Galveston. I work in a people intensive position as a telephone nurse case manager and just look forward to not talking to people unless I choose.

A lot of my friends will not even go out to a nice dinner or a movie or show on their own and are amazed that I take a 'retreat' weekend at the coast during a fall full moon. I'm ready to take that up a notch to cruising solo. I like the way that sounds!!