London - Hilton or BW recommendations

Madame B

We will be in London for our first visit there for 2 days pre-cruise next May. Does anyone have a recommendation for a Best Western or Hilton that would be centrally located? We've read recommendations for other hotels, but since we are slowly accumulating points with these two chains, we'd like to try them. Thanks in advance!

I take it that you are going to doing the train to Southampton. If that's the case- we stayed in the area around Victoria station and it was really convenient. We used the subway from there and then the train to Southampton.

There is the Best Western Victoria Place

http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/Hotels/Victoria-Palace-London-83873/MapLocation/Default.aspx

and the Doubletree by Hilton

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d195204-Reviews-DoubleTree_by_Hilton_London_Victoria-London_England.html

The Hilton Tower Bridge is in a great location and seems to get good reviews. If you get points on Doubletree too, then look at the Tower Bridge and Westminster ones. Of course, the Waldorf and the Hilton Park Lane are two of London's iconic hotels.

As ever with London, it slightly depends on what you mean by 'centrally located' - do you want to be near the River and historic sites (Tower Bridge), theatre district (Waldorf), Royal Parks (Hilton Park Lane), museums (The Bentley) and so on.

These two links give a flavour of the two chains in London (generally Hilton would be considered a notch up from Best Wetsern), although the info is perhaps a little dated (doesn't have some of the more recent Doubletrees, it seems)

http://www.londontoolkit.com/accommodation/hilton_hotels_london.htm

http://www.londontoolkit.com/accommodation/best_western_london.htm

We will be in London for our first visit there for 2 days pre-cruise next May. Does anyone have a recommendation for a Best Western or Hilton that would be centrally located? We've read recommendations for other hotels, but since we are slowly accumulating points with these two chains, we'd like to try them. Thanks in advance!

If I were to stay at a Hilton in London, I'd be looking first at the Hilton Paddington. Right at Paddington station - so very convenient for one of the LHR trains - and if you're looking to take the train to Southampton, it's a straight shot to Waterloo station on the underground.

There is a big difference between Hilton and Best Western Hotel properties in London.

There is a good chance the Best Western properties are much more downmarket in the UK than what you think. Nearly all BW propeties are relatively small in old non-purpose built buildings, the only real exception is the Best western Shaftesbury. Most, but not all are in the outlying hotel districts.

The most convenient one is probably the Best Western Victoria Palace, though the annexe rooms are more 2 star than 3 star.

The Hilton Hotels are probably more what you envisage large 4 stain chain hotels which could be a global chain hotel anywhere.

There are probably 3 groups of Hilton's. The inner core trophy Hilton's like the Waldorf in and around Trafalgar Square. An inner ring of very good quality Hilton's like the Hilton Park lane, Tower Bridge, Paddington, Mayfair and the outer cheaper Hilton's like Olympia, Kensington and Hyde Park.

Some of these like the Hilton Olympia most people would think it more 3 star than 4 star, and a lot of Priceline bidders get put into these.

The Hilton Metropole is a very large hotel with lots of wings with rooms ot various levels the less plush wings used by tour operators and Priceline are comparable to cheap motel style rooms though the facilities in the hotel are 4 star.

If your points apply to DoubleTree by Hilton, personally I would look at these.

The DoubleTree Westminster and DoubleTree Victoria Hilton's I think would be up there on the shortlist if you were paying - combining a good solid 4 star hotel with proximity to the main sights and good cruise/airport transfer options.

Thanks to all of you! This is great information and will get me started on my hotel search. I think we'll go with Hilton.

I failed to mention that we will be flying into Heathrow and sailing out of Harwich. We will be on the Celebrity Infinity 5/13/13 for a British Isles cruise.

RebeccaLouiseAgain - I see that you were recently on the Infinity. Any thoughts/secrets/tips that you'd like to share???

You will love the Infinity.

On Embarkation day head to Bistro on Five (deck five). There is a fantastic addition to the ship. There is a five dollar surcharge per person but it well worth it. It will be yummy and relaxing. They have a selection of soups, salads, crepes and panini sandwiches. You will love it. Try the "Italian" crepe which is banana, nutella and pistachio or the "Mediterranean" which is chicken, pesto, cheese and sun dried tomato. You'll avoid the mob on Deck 10 (buffet). The Bistro is open from 6AM-2AM daily- so if you need a late night dessert- it's a good place to go.

Qsine is wonderful. I ate there twice on Infinity (and twice on Summit). The dress code is smart casual even on formal night (no shorts, t-shirts or flip flops). All the dishes were good except the Vegetable Du Jour which is purees like babyfood (yuck). My favorites were the Disco Shrimp, Qsine Greens and Persian Kabob. Save room for desserts too. Pace yourself because it is a lot of food.

I tried the Persian Gardens and I didn't think they were worth a week's pass. You can try them for $20 a day- even though they have $99 for the week as the charge, I noticed you can just do it for the day. I used my Elite coupon and I wouldn't pay to use them. Nothing special IMO.

Bring your own books- I found the library to be very limited.

The Constellation Lounge on Deck 11 has terrific dancing after 11PM but before that it is full of teens (in summer anyway).

Don't miss the crew Talent Show on the last day of the cruise. I loved it.

If you buy a "waterproof" watch. They are absolutely not waterproof!

Skip the $3.00 gelatto on Deck 5. The ice cream in the buffet is free and better IMO.

I had room service Apple Pie several times- yum! They have 24 room service for free.

When getting back onboard from ports, instead of waiting with everyone for one of the elevators by the check-in. Walk up to the next floor and to a different elevator shaft (bow or aft instead of the midship ones that they usually use) - they will be empty and you'll get back up faster.

Pack half as much as you think you are going to need. The laundry is pretty reasonable. If you are Elite you get 30 free items washed and folded. I think it is worth it to save on packing, hauling heavy bags, etc. We walked off on the day of disembarkation, which was so much better than waiting in a lounge for your number to be called.

If you do the internet package- I recommend getting at least 90 minutes- you'll end up using them. If you have a laptop and want to do WiFi, you have to go to the I Lounge on Deck 6 to sign up. After that you can sign onto your laptop from anywhere on the ship. Service was pretty good. Downloading pics though takes time.

Bring your own shampoo and conditioner- I didn't care for the free shampoo and conditioner provided.

You are going to love the British Isles! St. Peter's Port is fantastic. There is a fort by the pier- it's an nice place to visit. The public bus circumnavigates the little island- do it.

We did the Giant's Causeway excursion in Belfast and I loved it. You get to see a lot of Northern Ireland and the Causeway is really interesting. There is a Hotel there with terrific pub food. I had the Guiness Pie and Champs (yum).

In Invergorden- definitely visit Inverness. It is the prettiest town on the trip. Loch Ness was ok. In Dublin you might want to do a tour. I did the HOHO bus and I didn't feel like I learned much. Either that or go outside of Dublin to one of the cute little towns like Malahide or Howth (both close to the port).

Having stayed in a few of the Hiltons in the London area, my ranking, and it is just my ranking, in order is:

Waldorf for location to Theaters and Covent Garden

Park Lane for views from the top floors, nearby Hyde Park and Shepards Market Area

Trafalgar for location to Trafalgar Square, the Museums nearby and the Mall

Green Park for looks and Location near Bond and Oxford Street for shopping although the rooms vary considerably in size

Kensington and Olympia for price and no much else

Any Hilton in London is fine for general location since public transportation is excellent.

Cheers

Rebecca - This is our first Celebrity cruise and our first British Isles cruise, so thanks for the tips!

Thanks again to everyone for the hotel tips. It looks like I'll have to take a good look at a London map to figure out where everything is located. We are active 50 somethings, so we're going to try to take public transportation where possible.

Rebecca - This is our first Celebrity cruise and our first British Isles cruise, so thanks for the tips!

Thanks again to everyone for the hotel tips. It looks like I'll have to take a good look at a London map to figure out where everything is located. We are active 50 somethings, so we're going to try to take public transportation where possible.

Does Celebrity have a British Isles cruise? I could not find it.

Archived