curling iron on the Rotterdam

M5M

I just thought of this, can't remember how this might work. I am going on a cruise leaving from Rotterdam, doing the Baltic area. Will my European curling iron work on that ship without bringing a converter? I also have an Amereican curling iron, and always plug it right in, I just don't remember if there are both types of plugs...surely there are?

I just thought of this, can't remember how this might work. I am going on a cruise leaving from Rotterdam, doing the Baltic area. Will my European curling iron work on that ship without bringing a converter? I also have an Amereican curling iron, and always plug it right in, I just don't remember if there are both types of plugs...surely there are?

Both types are on the ship - no worries:D

So, its OK to bring a curling iron on to the ship. But, somehow, those dreadfully dangerous heating pads are deemed to be a fire hazard and banned. Very bizarre. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not too many people fall asleep while curling their hair, ;) in other words its use is being consciously observed, where a heating pad is frequently used in a bed with flammable linens/mattress by someone who may be "less than alert".

Not too many people fall asleep while curling their hair, ;) in other words its use is being consciously observed, where a heating pad is frequently used in a bed with flammable linens/mattress by someone who may be "less than alert".
Ah, so a heating pad that heats up to 150-170 degrees is more of a hazard than a curling iron that heats up to 300-500 degrees. Got it.

Ah, so a heating pad that heats up to 150-170 degrees is more of a hazard than a curling iron that heats up to 300-500 degrees. Got it.

Well, I don't crawl in to bed with my curling iron and slip it under my back where it is pressed between layers of sheets and a highly flammable mattress. Nor do I fall asleep while using it and put it in a similar situation. Furthermore, curling irons have automatic switches that will turn off. (although I do believe that some heating pads do as well) I think that you are equating two very different situations, but I do invite you to try to find us a story of a person who set themselves on fire while sleeping with their curling iron in their bed. :)

The argument is absurd, which is why I started it. To point out the absurdity of some of the rules. A heating pad is designed to warm your body. It will not get hot enough to set anything on fire, unless it malfunctions. And anything you plug into a wall can malfunction and cause a fire. I had a fire in my house several years ago started by a clock radio.

The argument is absurd, which is why I started it. To point out the absurdity of some of the rules. A heating pad is designed to warm your body. It will not get hot enough to set anything on fire, unless it malfunctions. And anything you plug into a wall can malfunction and cause a fire. I had a fire in my house several years ago started by a clock radio.

Which is why you can't bring clock radios aboard with you...

Nevertheless, no matter how absurd YOU (or I) think a rule is, it IS a rule and we DO need to honor it.

Which is why you can't bring clock radios aboard with you...

Nevertheless, no matter how absurd YOU (or I) think a rule is, it IS a rule and we DO need to honor it.

I won't be bringing a heating pad, a curling iron or a clock radio on any cruise, so I think I'm good. :)

I sure hope my cell phone or laptop don't malfunction and cause a fire.

Archived