Photo ID Bermuda

rebeccalouiseagain

You absolutely, positively need your photo ID as well as your sea pass when getting back on the ship in Bermuda.

Note to parents- you do need an ID for your child as well. They will give you a hard time. I fortunately did have my son's passport but they will accept the birth certificate.

So make sure to bring your ID. They will eventually let you on without one but they take you to the side and you'll have to wait to get back onboard.

They announce it when you arrive in Bermuda and it does apply to children as well (although they don't always have a "photo" id so bring their birth certificate)

Will a driver's license do? I don't necessarily want to bring my passport to the beach with me. I wonder why they do this. I've been to lots of European ports and I've never needed anything but my seapass to get back on the ship.

Thanks for passing this along.

They will ask you for a birth certificate for any child regardless of age. Bring it or they will give you a hard time. My son is 11 and they asked. He only had his sea pass and they took him to the side. I saw a mother arguing with the lady about her child in a stroller. Not sure if a 16 year old needs a photo ID but definitely ask before cruising.

The rule applies to every passenger regardless of age. They will take you to the side otherwise and eventually let my son go through. By that time- I'd gone back to the ship for his passport.

Hi, we just returned Sunday from Bermuda, and we had 4 adults and one child (7). We all had photo id's except the 7 year old, and he was in and out of the ship/customs just using the sea pass, no other id was ever requested of us during the week. Just to mention, we were on the Veendam and thus docked in Hamilton.

YMMV

I leave my wallet on the ship and just bring my seapass, drivers license, one credit card, and some cash. I use a container similar to this so you don't have to leave your "stuff" on the beach when you are in the water.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Container-Airtight-Money-Beach/dp/B002EDCS06

Great link, Wine-O. I hate the idea of leaving anything valuable on a beach towel. This will do the trick.

Hi, we just returned Sunday from Bermuda, and we had 4 adults and one child (7). We all had photo id's except the 7 year old, and he was in and out of the ship/customs just using the sea pass, no other id was ever requested of us during the week. Just to mention, we were on the Veendam and thus docked in Hamilton.

YMMV

I can tell you that they definitely do ask for id at the Royal Dockyard and they get pissed if you argue. The baby in the stroller needed ID besides the Seapass.

You might have lucked out in Hamilton and I have never in the past had to show ID other than the SeaPass for my son. So this was new to me too. You will get on eventually if you forget your photo ID but they don't make it quick and easy for you.

Keep in mind- there are two separate check points at Royal Dockyard. The first stop in the Bermuda customs area where they check your SeaPass and photo ID - then you go to the ship where you only need your Seapass and go through the bag screening and metal detector.

I can tell you that they definitely do ask for id at the Royal Dockyard and they get pissed if you argue. The baby in the stroller needed ID besides the Seapass.

You might have lucked out in Hamilton and I have never in the past had to show ID other than the SeaPass for my son. So this was new to me too. You will get on eventually if you forget your photo ID but they don't make it quick and easy for you.

Keep in mind- there are two separate check points at Royal Dockyard. The first stop in the Bermuda customs area where they check your SeaPass and photo ID - then you go to the ship where you only need your Seapass and go through the bag screening and metal detector.

I think its important that you posted this. Its another example of Celebrity or somebody changing written policy. My kids are adults now but I feel for someone who reads Celebrity's policy that under 16 do not need photo ID when reboarding the ship. They then in good faith go on the cruise, find out the policy is changed and they have no recourse in fixing it since they are already on the ship. Truly changing the rules in the middle of the game.

You only need your Seapass at the ship because they embed your photo in the Seapass when you first embark. Then they scan you off the ship when you go ashore and back on when you come back aboard. At customs, they don't have a reader, so they need both, the ID to verify your identity and the Seapass to show that you are actually entitled to return to the ship. I have no problem with it. Since 9/11 there's no such thing as too much security. Oh, and be pleasant with the guards. They're only doing their job and you tend to get back what you give.

Great link, Wine-O. I hate the idea of leaving anything valuable on a beach towel. This will do the trick.

Just be really careful with these containers as I had one that I wore into the ocean at Trunk Bay, St. Johns. Imagine my horror when I was hit by a wave and it came off. Luckily It washed up on the shore, but that was a very panicky few minutes as it contained drivers licenses, sea passes and our cash.

We got off the Summit Sunday also and had a different experience. we had an 18 year old and 15 year old. One time security(not Celebrity people) ask my older son how old he was and asked for Id. All the other times no one asked for Id from either child. Strange how different people have different wxperiences doing the same thing.

Sounds like this is more Immigration than Celebrity. Immigration is on Land, and has nothing to do with the cruise line. Some Immigration officers will ask for more than others. Some push their job to the limit, and others look at a family and will not ask for photo ID for the little ones.

A photocopy of your passport is all that is needed as photo ID, for both adults and children.

No worry about your driver's license or passport being lost or stolen.

But if it is a port where you are planning to drive, then you will need to take your driver's license.

When it is a port where you need to take your passport off the ship with you, they let you know.

My family and I were just on the Summit 8/12 to 8/19. My sons are 19, 16, and 14. The 19 showed his driver's license at immigration but the other boys were never asked for any photo ID, birth certificate etc. We left and returned to the ship on all 3 days, with different staff at the immigration station each time and never were we asked for documentation for the 16 or 14 year old. The agents never even asked their ages.

Announcements on the ship said that if you were getting off in Bermuda, a sea pass and photo id were required only if you were over 16 and as I said above, this was what we found to be true.

I wouldn't have posted this if it didn't happen to me. I also witnessed it happening to a lady in front of me with a child in a stroller.

In my case, my son has a different last name. They asked him his age (11) and if I was his mother (yes). Even with that, they pulled him aside and I decided to leave him there and get back on and grab his passport.

I posted this so that people come prepared because you will get back on the ship one way or another without the photo ID (or birth certificate for child) but they weren't making it easy.

There are conflicting accounts here but the ship says "Seapass and photo ID"- and I wouldn't assume that you don't need it for kids- because in my case- we did. So even if some inspectors don't ask, obviously some do.

This was at the Royal Dockyard.

Archived