A couple and a 16yr old...Disney the wrong choice?

AZDivers

We are thinking about hopping on the Sept 29th sailing on the Magic or the Fantasy.

2 mid 30's adults and a 16yr old girl. All Scuba divers. This will be our 4th cruise.

So far our favorite has been Freedom of the Seas. Celebrity Solstice we did not care for the food but the MEditerranean itinerary made up for it. Adventure of the Seas felt really old.

I guess my question for the folks on the Disney forum is for those of you that have been on other lines, are we shooting ourselves in the foot by going on a ship that I will assume will have only childrens entertainment and tons of kids? Our other option is the RC Oasis of the Seas but its gonna cost an extra $750 total which we are not too keen on spending.

We like Disneyland, don't love it, but it's fine. These cruises are most appealing to us because we hear the food is great on Disney and the ports of Call are going to allow us to Dive at 2 locations.

So....Magic or Fantasy? Or keep looking?

Also is it true you can bring your own alcohol on the ship? That would be a deal sealer for us. We usually end up with a $500 tab by the end of our cruises.

We are thinking about hopping on the Sept 29th sailing on the Magic or the Fantasy.

2 mid 30's adults and a 16yr old girl. All Scuba divers. This will be our 4th cruise.

So far our favorite has been Freedom of the Seas. Celebrity Solstice we did not care for the food but the MEditerranean itinerary made up for it. Adventure of the Seas felt really old.

I guess my question for the folks on the Disney forum is for those of you that have been on other lines, are we shooting ourselves in the foot by going on a ship that I will assume will have only childrens entertainment and tons of kids? Our other option is the RC Oasis of the Seas but its gonna cost an extra $750 total which we are not too keen on spending.

We like Disneyland, don't love it, but it's fine. These cruises are most appealing to us because we hear the food is great on Disney and the ports of Call are going to allow us to Dive at 2 locations.

Also is it true you can bring your own alcohol on the ship? That would be a deal sealer for us. We usually end up with a $500 tab by the end of our cruises.

If it were me I would pick the Fantasy. Your 16 year old should have a good time in the teen club. There are plenty of 'adult' activities on a Disney cruise. The kids are not allowed in the adult areas. Yes you can bring your own alcohol on board. It has to go in a carry-on and be small enough to fit through the screener.

Well, firstly, it's not just children's entertainment. The shows in the Walt Disney Theatre are broadway style (similar to what you would see in the parks). They also have adult only venues, but, your 16 year old would not be able to attend those. The teen club (Vibe) is good onboard. As to the tons of kids, generally, the longer the cruise the fewer the kids. And you are sailing during a school period, so that effects how many kids will be onboard, also. The kids clubs do a great job at keeping the kids entertained, and you may not see any more than you would on any other cruise (except during dinner).

Since you like diving, and the cruise would afford you the opportunity to do that, I think that's another vote for doing it.

Magic or Fantasy? Well, we've only been on the Magic of the two, but we are planning a Fantasy cruise soon. Go with whichever itinerary appeals to you the most.

DCL allows you to bring onboard whatever beverages you wish, as long as you do it in your carryon bags. I will also point out that sodas, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, water, fruit punch, lemonade are all available 24/7 at the drink station, and included in the cruise fare.

:)

Thanks guys!

The thing about having just 1 16yr old is that she would get bored being alone I would assume and if we are hanging out in these adult areas she would kinda be out of luck and we would hate to leave her behind. She is actually a really mature kid for 16 and I don't know that I see just leaving her in a teen club.

16yr olds tend to be awkward when it comes to making friends. Unlike they were when they were 5! It was so easy back then!

As two adults, no kids, who have sailed on the Magic (and are doing it again in 3 weeks) I guess you would have a great time. (We think Disney is OK, but are not nuts about it as well). Not only is there plenty for families to do, but there will be a lot of 16 yr olds on board. There are plenty of families with younger children who have teens as well that come along, so your teen should have plenty to do. There's a lot of activity and the ports are great. We also like that you can bring your own alcohol. I say if the price is right and the ports are what you want, give it a try. There's nothing "BAD" about it, that's for sure. LOTS of stimulation for people of all ages.

As two adults, no kids, who have sailed on the Magic (and are doing it again in 3 weeks) I guess you would have a great time. (We think Disney is OK, but are not nuts about it as well). Not only is there plenty for families to do, but there will be a lot of 16 yr olds on board. There are plenty of families with younger children who have teens as well that come along, so your teen should have plenty to do. There's a lot of activity and the ports are great. We also like that you can bring your own alcohol. I say if the price is right and the ports are what you want, give it a try. There's nothing "BAD" about it, that's for sure. LOTS of stimulation for people of all ages.

We are trying to decide if Oasis of the Seas might be a better option for us. We like the ports better on this Disney though

Thanks guys!

The thing about having just 1 16yr old is that she would get bored being alone I would assume and if we are hanging out in these adult areas she would kinda be out of luck and we would hate to leave her behind. She is actually a really mature kid for 16 and I don't know that I see just leaving her in a teen club.

16yr olds tend to be awkward when it comes to making friends. Unlike they were when they were 5! It was so easy back then!

I have a couple of 12yo girls. One is miss social and one is pretty shy. I go over to one of the other boards (or this one if it isn't a Disney cruise) and find the "who's going on this cruise" thread and ask if anyone has a DD that would like to pen pal with my girls before the cruise. They usually end up texting, emailing and skyping back and forth up until time to go. Sometimes when they get to the ship, they are great friends and hang out, sometimes they don't click, but either way they usually find a way to make friends out of the deal. I've done this on 3 cruises now and they are still in contact with most of the girls they meet. The teen club on Disney is pretty good, especially on the Fantasy, where they have their own pool area. I honestly don't think it would be a problem, you don't have to be all pixie dusted to have a great time on a Disney cruise regardless of your age.

We were on the Magic in July. My husband and I (in our 40's) really enjoyed the shows. I think the 16 year old would really like them too.

As for the pool, I think the 16 year old would like the Fantasy better. The pools on the Magic seem to be for younger kids (Goofy pool is jam packed). I think you have to be 18 to be allowed in the adult only pool. Fantasy has the Aqua Duct which looks really cool.

Never cruised RC but many people on this site love them. May have rock climbing wall or something more appealing to a 16 year old.

We have been on the Dream, Fantasy, Oasis and Allure. All are great ships, the Fantasy being the best of the Disney fleet. However there is nothing like the Oasis/Allure ships. To me they are the ultimate in cruising. At 220,000 tons they are almost twice as big. If I was 16 I would want to go on the Oasis or Allure.

Looking back at the dates, I went when I was about 20. Been my favorite cruise for years now. Went with a bunch of family friends, including kids around my age and younger. We all had a blast.

I've got an upcoming one in November with kids of my own, so we'll see how the rankings go after that cruise.

Disclaimer: We are absolute Disney nuts, but have also sailed with RCI and Princess.

We've been cruising since my son was turning 6, and he's 16 now. He is SO excited about getting to experience the teen club for the first time on our favorite ship in the world, the Magic, in February! DCL does such a great job of drawing kids of every age into the fun. Heck, they do a great job of doing that with adults, too. :D

The best advice I can give you is whichever ship you choose, make sure your daughter attends the teen club get-together that first night, no matter what. Everyone gets to know each other then, and tend to hang out in groups after that. If she gets in on that, she'll have plenty of new friends to have plenty of fun with. :)

Have a wonderful cruise, whatever you decide!

-gina-

Thanks everyone!

We decided on the Oasis this time around and will give the Fantasy a shot next go round.

WE ultimately let our daughter decide and the Disney theme just left her flat. She informed us she really didn't enjoy Disneyland that much last time we went even. So.....that kinda sealed the deal. I think we were more curious about Disney for us than for her!

Thanks gain for the input!

Archived