Come welcome the Disney Magic to Galveston!

crazy4themouse

It dawned on me that not everyone is at those "other boards" for anything Disney-related, so figured I'd post this here as well. :)

There are a number of us Disney nuts meeting up on 9/22 to welcome the Disney Magic to Galveston, ears on and very excited. She's scheduled to arrive at 7am, and we're meeting there on the pier right where the Elissa is moored at around 6:30 in case she's early.

We're then going to meet at The Spot later for lunch around 1pm, then after we all secure parking places again by the pier, wander over to La King's for ice cream & milkshakes. We plan on being back at the pier around 4:15pm for the Magic's scheduled sailaway and associated hoopla at 5pm. It should be a very exciting atmosphere -- Several of us are excited enough for everyone else. :D

We've made special t-shirts, someone has a banner, we've been waiting through years of rumors for this day... We want to let DCL know how happy we are they have decided to homeport a ship out of Galveston!!

If anyone wants to join us, or has any questions, please just let me know! I'm trying to keep a running count at least for lunch, so I know how big of a table my son & I need to throw our bodies across at the ever-popular Spot. :p

-gina-

I can't believe Disney didn't do any kind of party at the pier. Also surprised that they waited until the end of July to have the Disney parties in Houston, San Antonio and Dallas to promote DCL. I went to the one in Houston through a special invite from my TA. It was nice and was kind of a pep rally for DCL, but that was the end of July! Hmmm... :confused:

We live in Galveston

and may try to join you at least for sailaway

and/or earlier!

We are not Disney nuts but RCCL nuts!

But who cares when it comes to cruising.

We always like to go to pier for sailaways!

May have conflict with family in from out of town!

We will keep up with thread and all the plans!

And will let you know when time is nearer!

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

I can't believe Disney didn't do any kind of party at the pier. Also surprised that they waited until the end of July to have the Disney parties in Houston, San Antonio and Dallas to promote DCL. I went to the one in Houston through a special invite from my TA. It was nice and was kind of a pep rally for DCL, but that was the end of July! Hmmm...

Parties?? :( They must have been some sort of TA-only parties? (I hope!!)

I can't believe there hasn't been more hoopla yet either... I've spoken several times with the supposed head of PR at the Port of Galveston, and she's about as excited over this as someone would be to have a root canal. Luckily, a bunch of us Disney fans are excited enough for everyone else!! :D

But DCL did post this on their Facebook wall a couple of days ago:

"Remember when we placed a giant bumper sticker on the Disney Magic for her arrival to NYC? We've got big plans for the ship's arrival to Galveston, Texas, next month! Any guesses?"

Maybe they bought the giant horns that were on Voyager? But those were auctioned off for charity several years ago, right?

We live in Galveston

and may try to join you at least for sailaway

and/or earlier!

We are not Disney nuts but RCCL nuts!

But who cares when it comes to cruising.

We always like to go to pier for sailaways!

May have conflict with family in from out of town!

We will keep up with thread and all the plans!

And will let you know when time is nearer!

That would be great, I hope you can join us! I'm the same way as you -- just seeing a cruise ship always makes me happy, and sailaways are always so fun, just knowing what a great time all those people you're waving at are going to have. :)

I should hopefully be easy to find... There's a picture of my son & I in my profile. Just look down when you're at the pier -- I'm only 5' tall, lol. We'll both have white t-shirts on commerating the occasion. And Mickey ears, of course. :)

-gina-

Parties?? :( They must have been some sort of TA-only parties? (I hope!!)

I can't believe there hasn't been more hoopla yet either... I've spoken several times with the supposed head of PR at the Port of Galveston, and she's about as excited over this as someone would be to have a root canal. Luckily, a bunch of us Disney fans are excited enough for everyone else!! :D

The invitation was extended to the TA's and they were able to bring 4 civilians with them! :) So, I got invited by my TA. It was a PR event but as of right now I don't think Disney has any events planned. BTW...Mickey Mouse was at the event I attended in Houston and you got to have your pic taken with him.

• 3 weeks later...
It dawned on me that not everyone is at those "other boards" for anything Disney-related, so figured I'd post this here as well. :)

There are a number of us Disney nuts meeting up on 9/22 to welcome the Disney Magic to Galveston, ears on and very excited. She's scheduled to arrive at 7am, and we're meeting there on the pier right where the Elissa is moored at around 6:30 in case she's early.

[sNIP]

I would plan on being at the pier MUCH earlier that that. Both Mariner of the Seas and Carnival Magic sailed into the harbor before 5am on their first arrival, and I expect it will be the same for the Disney Magic. 7am will be the time she arrives most mornings, but she'll likely arrive early in case there's any unexpected problems that take up time. If you arrive at 6:30, you'll likely find her already docked.

Also keep in mind it's one hour from the time a ship enters the harbor to the time the ship docks assuming the ship does a 180* turn.

Won't be in Galveston to see the Disney Magic's first time in port, but I plan on making a time-lapse of her first arrival from the webcams like I did for Mariner and Carnival Magic's first arrivals in Galveston.

Will have to download a different free-trial time-lapse software this time. Hopefully it won't have a big ugly "please purchase" message.

I would plan on being at the pier MUCH earlier that that. Both Mariner of the Seas and Carnival Magic sailed into the harbor before 5am on their first arrival, and I expect it will be the same for the Disney Magic. 7am will be the time she arrives most mornings, but she'll likely arrive early in case there's any unexpected problems that take up time. If you arrive at 6:30, you'll likely find her already docked.

Also keep in mind it's one hour from the time a ship enters the harbor to the time the ship docks assuming the ship does a 180* turn.

You are soooo right, Dylan... Thank you for saying that! I just got off the phone with the Port of Galveston, again, and she said basically the same thing -- that it could be as early as 5am. Not what some of the people coming from farther away than I am want to hear! I guess we'll all have to meet waaaayyy earlier and just caffeine ourselves up while we wait. :)

I am going to be on that sailing...Can't wait. Never been to Galveston before, so this will be a really new experience.

Our sail away time was moved to 4:30 btw. We got an email yesterday about it.

Only 2 more weeks!!!!

Yes, someone else just told me the same thing! Ugh, so many changes to make, lol... Hope everyone doesn't get thoroughly confused! I'll make the changes to my original post now! Thanks for the heads up!

-gina-

For those planning to come to Pier 21 for the Disney Magic, be aware there will a commissioning of the U.S.S. Fort Worth at Pier 21 on Sept. 22nd. The area will more than likely closed off to those who do not have a ticket to get in the for the commissioning. To take place from 10am to 12:30 with a reception following.

The Elissa will not be there as she has been moved to drydock for refurbishing.

... Maybe they bought the giant horns that were on Voyager? But those were auctioned off for charity several years ago, right?...

Last I heard, Cruise Critic member Rancher Dave had them at his ranch.

Kat 50.gif

For those planning to come to Pier 21 for the Disney Magic, be aware there will a commissioning of the U.S.S. Fort Worth at Pier 21 on Sept. 22nd. The area will more than likely closed off to those who do not have a ticket to get in the for the commissioning. To take place from 10am to 12:30 with a reception following.

The Elissa will not be there as she has been moved to drydock for refurbishing.

More info about the "goings on" that day: http://galvestondailynews.com/story/346702

Kat

Oh good lord... of all the days for them to pick to do this, and right by the cruise terminal??? Guess the media can kill two birds with one stone, but it doesn't help the rest of us very much...

If it says the reception is at noon, surely they'll all be gone by 3-ish when we're planning to invade the pier to wish bon voyage to the Magic, right? I guess we'll just be standing there waiting. :D

Thanks for the info!

-gina-

Does anyone have any suggestions for parking? They are christening a new Navy ship at pier 21 beginning at 8:30AM Saturday. There are 7,000 invitations that have been given to Navy personnel and families. My daughter and grandaughter have invitations and are planning to be there at 7AM but where on earth are they going to be able to park? they sure can't park in a cruise parking lot can they??

Does anyone have any suggestions for parking? They are christening a new Navy ship at pier 21 beginning at 8:30AM Saturday. There are 7,000 invitations that have been given to Navy personnel and families. My daughter and grandaughter have invitations and are planning to be there at 7AM but where on earth are they going to be able to park? they sure can't park in a cruise parking lot can they??

The ship is being commissioned with festivities commencing at 10am for those with invitations. Our invitation names a specific parking lot for us.

There are several lots and garages for parking as well as street parking east of downtown.

Only cruisers may park at cruise parking lots.

The U.S.S. Texas was commissioned here several years ago near Pier 15, Thousands were here for that and we had no trouble parking.

Port plans Sail-A-Bration for Disney Magic

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/349098

By Laura Elder

The Daily News

Published September 21, 2012

Isle gears up for commissioning of Fort Worth

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/349094

By T.J. Aulds

The Daily News

Kat 50.gif

Port plans Sail-A-Bration for Disney Magic

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/349098

By Laura Elder

The Daily News

Published September 21' date=' 2012

[b']Isle gears up for commissioning of Fort Worth[/b]

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/349094

By T.J. Aulds

The Daily News

Kat 50.gif

FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY

COME EARLY FOR PLACE TO PARK

BE PREPARED TO WALK

ALSO

THIS WEEKEND FRIDAY THRU SUNDAY

THERE IS A SHRIMP FESTIVAL HAPPENING

IN SAME GENERAL AREA AS THESE TWO OTHER EVENTS

IN OLD TOWN GALVESTON ON STRAND AND BEYOND

HALF OF DOWNTOWN HAS BEEN BLOCKED OFF FOR LAST COUPLE OF DAYS

SEE WEBSITE FOR MAP OF EVENT

http://www.yagaspresents.com/shrimpfestival/

We will be there.. For all 3 events

One of the reasons we are staying at Harbour House and have reservations at Olympia grill 21 is for the gty parking and being next to everything.

Now if I can find one of my old shipmates with some scrambled eggs on his lid and flash my Mil ID ;). Probably not..... but we will be close enough.

We will be there.. For all 3 events

One of the reasons we are staying at Harbour House and have reservations at Olympia grill 21 is for the gty parking and being next to everything.

Now if I can find one of my old shipmates with some scrambled eggs on his lid and flash my Mil ID ;). Probably not..... but we will be close enough.

We are lucky enough to be invited to the commissioning!

May be see you there at Olympia for sail away.

Be sure to come back to this thread with your review of the events!

From one that cannot be there' date='

Kat [img']http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/50.gif[/img]

We will contribute what we can

We are lucky enough to be invited to the commissioning!

May be see you there at Olympia for sail away.

Wow good for you is that something they offered the locals as it looks like Galveston cruiser is going as well, Or is there a military connection?

We will be at Olympia for sailaway in the west corner table hopefully.

We will contribute what we can

Wow good for you is that something they offered the locals as it looks like Galveston cruiser is going as well, Or is there a military connection?

We will be at Olympia for sailaway in the west corner table hopefully.

SSB is my DH;)

I just asked the office in Fort Worth by e-mail. We were at the commssioning of the USS Texas a few years ago, I grew up around merchant ships and we live here:) So I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. 5 days later we received an engraved invitation:D

Please note that the exterior deck at Olympia will be closed from 10 - 12 during the comissioning. This is a Navy request to the restaurant.

Archived