Panama Canal, Port or Starboard?

Dunelm

It makes no difference. There are 2 lanes in the Canal and you will not know which lane your ship is going to be in until the day before. I love to be in the aft during the transit....you get to see so much activity....

BILL

Planning a Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego on The Infinity. Would welcome any advice about booking port or starboard.

When we did this cruise. We went for the starboard side. The port side gets very hot out on the balcony in Panama. Starboard side is what I would call the land side. Afternoon sun leaving FL then the north side while going thru the canal and morning sun up to San Diego. Richard

We went through the canal two years ago.

I would say that it really doesn't matter which side of the ship your room is on. for us, we spent most of the day in the canal on deck. You'll see more, and there are amazing things happening on both sides of the ship throughout the transit.

Of course, we went from west to east, so that might make a difference.;)

We have been through twice now, both Westbound and once on each side of the ship. As previously stated it doesn't really matter, particularly if you think you might be up on deck much of the time. However my preference is Port just because the visitor centres and other buildings are mainly on the port side. We are doing the transit again next year and have chosen port again.

Do go down low in the ship to some windows/portholes and see the canal sides as you go down at one of the locks, that is quite fun.

You have plenty of time to view from various parts of the ship, fore and aft and everywhere in between. Have a nap during the time you go through the lake but be up again for Gaillard Cut, the narrow transit part.

Enjoy, it is our favourite cruise so far.

It may seem/think that you are going East West but in fact you go North South or visa versa. So the sun will play little part in going through the canal regardless of which side you are on. :)

I agree that being on the side with more facilities may be of some benefit so going from Caribbean to Pacific that is the Port Side. Visa versa the other way round of course.

I also agree if you really want to see everything from your room. AFT is the way to go.

But it really didn't matter too much cause we were always out and around. Kinda cool being in the pool floating when doing the cut too.

A really great cruise

We have done three full transits -- once in 2008 and a B2B several months ago. I also don't think it matters on which side of the ship a stateroom is located since most folks move around. However on the B2B cruises on the Infinity we did have one of the new deck 11 aft staterooms, which did provide a great view. And on the Infinity the helipad was opened which was great fun.

Archived