Best Montego Bay, Jamaica excursions for family of four?

cruisinqt

We will be sailing on the Conquest this October and have already decided on PB beach at Cozumel, stingray excursion at Cayman islands, but are drawing a blank on where to go in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Everything you guys are talking about sounds good. But what in your opinion would be best for a family of four with a 5 year old and a 7 year old? My husband has already informed me that we are on a budget and he doesn't want to spend too much. The tubing sounds fun. Is it very expensive? What about any nice beaches? Has anyone had a fantastic experience that they would want to share? Thanks ahead for the information, these boards are great! I wish I had known about them when we went on our last cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

My boys loved Mayfield Falls.....it was the highlight of our last cruise. We booked with A-Z planners. Infact, the Conquest didn't come into port that day with some kind of trouble, and we were the only ones from the Zaandam who had booked, so we ended up with a private tour! Dennis was our guide at the tour, and Reyn was our driver. Dennis was very good with the kids, knows where every place to step in the falls is, and Reyn was very interesting and easy to understand.

Can you just do the Mayfield's Falls with this tour group? I didn't see a listing for this tour only on their website. We're looking for something for a family of 4 to do also in Montego Bay!

We did the Jungle River Tubing in May through Princess Cruises. It was $67 pp but I don't remember what it cost for children. We had a very good time and it wasn't strenuous or dangerous. We just floated down the river for about 2 1/2 hours and then had a very bumpy ride back to the bus. Everyone gets a free Red Stripe Beer or Pepsi. They take digital pictures and you can buy them when you get back to the starting point. It was very relaxing but fun. We did have to "watch our butts" when we hit the rapids and the sharp rocks. The water was shallow so the rocks were more of a nuisance than dangerous. We had a bad experience in Ocho Rios a few years ago and we were glad we did this excursion in MoBay. Our guides were very nice and friendly. The buses that picked us up were new and clean.

Contact Belinda at A-Z Jamaica Tours. I'm pretty sure you can do just Mayfield Falls. She's great and will find just the right tour for you. We're going next week ( yeah!!! ) and doing a tour with her to the Rose Great House then to Sunset Beach ( paying for that on our own ).

• 2 weeks later...

contact Barrett Adventures for a great family tour! Carolyn Barrett really takes care of you. When my family did our first visit, Carolyn actually swam out to a reef that was too far for my kids, then 7 and 11, to swim to and brought back a live star fish and a sea urchin for them to see. Then she swam back to the reef to replace the creatures in their home! She was awesome! My daughter wanted her hair braided and Carolyn arranged for a lady names Linda to do it for a very reasonable price. We've used her twice, but many of my family and friends have used her as well.

My sister just returned last week from the Conquest cruise and she told me Barrett Adventures gave her family the best tour they have ever had. She said Jamaica was by far the highlight of her entire cruise even though she loved the whole cruise! I highly recommend her for families. She is an American by birth but really loves her adopted Jamaica. She has been in the tour business for many years and is very professional. If you join one of her small groups or get a couple of other people to go with you, the price is even better.

Here is her link info@barrettadventures.com

tell her Marcia in Texas said hi!

I agree with Parrotheads above! We have used Caroly twice and loved it both times. we wouldn't think of going to Jamaica and not using her services. She is a walking encyclopedia of knowlede about Jamaica. If you do book with her, please tell her bill and amy from Texas say Hello!

A taxi to Dunn's River Falls will be half the price of the cruise. Take a tour bus or the Ship's excursion. It is about an hour ride at least depending on traffic. The Fall's themself are an excellent family adventure if all are capable of walking on slippery surfaces.

Parrotheads: What does a tour with Barrett Adventures consist of? How much was it, and do they pick you up at the pier? We have kids 7 and 10...

Thanks in advance for your help. We're stumped as to what to do in MoBay. Have considered Sunset Beach, but are doing beach activities in Cozumel and thought we might enjoy something with more than just water activities.

Archived