Some questions about ATN

suometar

1) Can anyone tell me about ATN business class? Is it worth it to upgrade?

2) I have AA FF business class tickets on hold for the return trip. The AA flight is scheduled to leave LAX at 3:15 PM. Will that give us enough time to go through customs/immigration, collect our bags, after the ATN flight?

Sounds like you are on the 10:00 am flight out of PPT. We are on that flight in business next June with a similar connection in LAX. It should not be a problem. In business your bags should also come off first.

ATN reportedly will change their hard product to lie flat beds in 2013 but the schedule is not posted. Coach in ATN for me at 6'6" tall was horrible. The seats are hard and narrow. We flew in business and the only suggestion is to avoid row 2. Row 1 is first class. Same seats as business but with more of a recline. There is a hard divider between row 1 and 2 reducing the legroom in row 2. Rows 3-5 are fine.

I have been in both and honestly both are pretty bad.

The new planes from what I have read will just have a better lie back and are not going to be true flat bed. They are using newer lighter seats in both cabins for weight load purposes.

The Business has slightly wider seats and are more comfortable than coach and you will have the use of an airconditioned lounge in Papeete which is a big plus.

http://mubadala.ae/media/news/air_tahiti_nui_selects_sr_technics_for_full_cabin_modification_and_maintenance_services

Air Tahiti Nui selects SR Technics for full cabin modification and maintenance services

July 11, 2012

Zurich, Switzerland, July 12, 2012 - SR Technics, part of the Mubadala Aerospace MRO network, and Air Tahiti Nui have signed a contract for the completion of three cabin modifications on Airbus A340-300s. This will be carried out in parallel with C-Checks on the aircraft. SR Technics was selected because of its ability to provide an end-to-end service encompassing design, modification and certification of the cabin interiors for the Tahiti national flag carrier.

The modification involves converting the existing three class cabin configuration to two classes, with the complete replacement of all new business and economy class seats, and the installation of a state-of-the-art In-Flight Entertainment (IFE) system, equipping the aircraft with the most modern and comfortable cabins.

Air Tahiti Nui is drawing on SR Technics’ Part 21J design approval, combined with its engineering and maintenance teams’ comprehensive know-how to execute all aspects of complex cabin modifications; from project supervision, design and installation. All work will be completed at SR Technics’ Centers of Excellence in Zurich and Dublin with a planned completion date starting in May 2013.

“We are delighted that Air Tahiti Nui has placed its trust in our service, quality and efficiency for its cabin modifications and maintenance needs. With our one-stop solution we can reduce the required downtime of the aircraft and ensure a timely completion. Moreover, with our comprehensive engineering knowledge we can respond flexibly to our customers’ wishes and requirements,” commented André Wall, President at SR Technics. He added: “We consider our teams’ ability and expertise to undertake these complex modifications as a key differentiator on the market with a high future potential.”

“Air Tahiti Nui is delighted to be introducing a new cabin configuration and state-of-the-art IFE that our passengers will be able to enjoy in the near future. The combination of SR Technics’ strong engineering experience and know-how, together with its solid maintenance capabilities, has led Air Tahiti Nui to choose SR Technics to complete this work, in order that we can bring in the new cabins in a relatively short timeframe,” said Francis Dziadula, Vice President Operation and Maintenance, for Air Tahiti Nui

Economy is the worst - might not have been so bad except that the arm rest between two people does not raise all the way. Business class used to be cool - service though over the past 7 years has DECLINED and yes the seats are very much behind the new norm with other international airlines. I however do like row 2 because there is no one in front of you to fully recline rendering it impossible to get out of the seat! A couple of the planes have decent leg room in this row but the last one I was on - Rangiroa - was horrible.

1) Can anyone tell me about ATN business class? Is it worth it to upgrade?

2) I have AA FF business class tickets on hold for the return trip. The AA flight is scheduled to leave LAX at 3:15 PM. Will that give us enough time to go through customs/immigration, collect our bags, after the ATN flight?

We used AA points for our business class tickets, starting in South Florida. The flights are first class from Miami to LAX (AA only has first and economy on those flights) and business class on ATN for the LAX to PPT. It was 125,000 points per ticket, roundtrip for business class and 75,000 for economy. As the flights are several thousand dollars more per ticket for business class than coach, I think the extra 50,000 points are well spent. I tried to get ATN first class - they have 6 seats- for 135,000 points, but AA says ATN only releases business class and coach for the frequent flyer tickets. We have never flown ATN, but everybody remarks on how uncomfortable the seats are, even in business class, but I figure it is less unbearable on business than on coach.

As far as timing - the ATN flights from PPT to LAX seem to all be at around midnight, getting into LAX between 10 and 11 am, which should give plenty of time to get to your connection - we booked a 2:45 pm flight back to Miami.

You may want to consider joining the Global Entry Program - it enables you to skip the passport lines, going to a special kiosk which scans your fingerprints and lets you go right through - you need to be prescreened and interviewed and it cost $100 for a 5 year membership (free if you have an AMEX Platinum card). This can save an hour or more on line at LAX.

I am considering a trip to French Polynesia, but am getting concerned about what I read about old, uncomfortable planes on Air Tahiti. A bad experience...going over particularly...can be a set back for a nice relaxing vacation. Is it as bad as I read? I have heard of alternatives through Air France, but they have limited flights and it appears they cost a lot more. Give me the true story on ATN...don't worry, I can take it

Here was my writeup on the business class flight on our last trip in case you didn't see it:

Flights

We decided to go all out and upgrade to business class on Air Tahiti Nui. The worst part of the trip in the past were the flights over and back as they are long (8.5 hours from LAX) and really hard on the body especially as we age.

The upgrade allowed us to check in at the business class line which was no benefit as there were few in line for economy. But it did result in priority tags for our luggage and when we landed, our bags were the first out. While that was an advantage, we still waited on the transfer bus in Papeete for ½ hour for others to load up the bus to our pre-cruise room. Note: if you do upgrade, bite the bullet and take a taxi to the Intercontinental; it is right next to the airport and you will be there ½ hour before everyone else.

We chose to fly out at 4:30p arriving at 10pm so that we could go right to the hotel and then sleep vs those that left on the red-eye, arriving at 5am. While they got to sleep also in the day room at the Intercontinental, this gave us extra time to relax at the pool in the morning, easily make the breakfast buffet (which closes at 10:30) and all for only $10. Why wouldn’t you do this?

The plane that we were on was older and the business class cabin was not near as nice as the one coming home. The foot rest was very narrow and was hard to keep your legs on it when elevated. The seat controls were nearly impossible to use (again on the way home, they were much better designed) and the remote control would not come out of the socket. I was surprised that no sooner dinner ended, that everyone wanted to go to sleep! It was like 7pm! Maybe they were east coast travelers or beyond… We enjoyed a few movies and were good and tired to sleep at the bed in the hotel afterwards.

Food on the plane was decent as airline food goes. I fly business/first all the time for my job, but Air Tahiti Nui, however, ranks at the low end of business class cabins. The flight attendants are nice and friendly and helpful, but the 150 degree reclining seat (180 degrees in first class) and inadequate controls, small footrest and the degree the seats recline in front of you onto your lap made it much less favorable than any other business class we have been on. And for a $1400 increase per person each way over the included coach airfare by PG, this was a disappointment. The cabin was full so I think some others may have upgraded at the gate. We just didn’t want to risk it so we booked in advance. Note that our flight home was better, but if you are on a window seat, it is nearly impossible to get out of the seat to walk around or use the restroom when the person in front of you reclined! Note to self: if you are flying business class, book the center seats so you both have an aisle and it is much easier to get out.

Economy is the worst - might not have been so bad except that the arm rest between two people does not raise all the way.

I can't comment on business class, but comfort/discomfort in economy class will depend on whether you happen to have one of their older or newer planes. As twin123185 noted, the armrest won't raise up 90 degrees in the older planes. This was the case for the "Bora Bora" plane we had on our outbound flight; the seats were VERY uncomfortable. But we had the "Nuku Hiva" on the return flight, and the seats were much better - armrests lifted all the way up.

It's encouraging to hear that they're modifying the cabins for the entire ATN fleet; hopefully they'll do something about those economy seats in the older planes!

Thank you all for your replies, they are most helpful. You guys are the best! I get the feeling that shelling out $3,000 per person for business class may not be the best use of our money, and frankly, from your descriptions, the ATN business class doesn't seem like such a wonderful deal. And anyway, the flight is only 8 1/2 hours, right? I used to think that the 8 1/2 hour flights we used to take to Finland to visit the folks were the worst, but then we flew to China last year -- in coach (full disclosure: I did pay extra for exit row seats, and it was so worth it).

Perhaps one can upgrade at the gate for less money?

The ATN flight to PPT seem to all leave LAX in the early to late afternoon most days with a late night departure at least one data week. We are on their Friday flight in June departing LAX close to midnight with an arrival early the next day. This works well for us as we can take the first ferry to Moorea in the morning without being forced to overnight in Tahiti.

Most return flights leave late at night but on Saturday they have a 10:00 am departure. This is what we are on and again looks good for us.

I am very tall and have flown ATN business and coach within the past two years. Their coach seating, for a tall person, was beyond uncomfortable. Their business seating is a relatively comfortable recliner which I could stretch out in without hitting my feet on the set in front. However,in row two my feet hit the sold bulkhead and did not work for me.

125,000 for business RT is a great value. While pricing changes my June tickets in business out of NY are priced at $5,900 compared to less than $2,000 for coach. If you have the miles or $$ business is far superior. If weare really lucky there is a small chance we could get an updated plane in June.

When I booked, I opted to buy the whole package from Paul Gauguin, instead of buying the flights (or trying for FF tickets) separately. Since it is our first time I figured that it would be less hassle with transfers, etc. We are sceduled to fly out of LAX on June 7 at 11:30. Our return flight is on Tuesday the 18th, at 11:30 (we booked three extra nights in an OW bungalow). I have FF business class tickets from JFK to LAX on Thursday the 6th, to break up the flight, and also on the return on Tuesday the 18th.

Hopefully we'll get an update plane in June.

When I booked, I opted to buy the whole package from Paul Gauguin, instead of buying the flights (or trying for FF tickets) separately. Since it is our first time I figured that it would be less hassle with transfers, etc. We are sceduled to fly out of LAX on June 7 at 11:30. Our return flight is on Tuesday the 18th, at 11:30 (we booked three extra nights in an OW bungalow). I have FF business class tickets from JFK to LAX on Thursday the 6th, to break up the flight, and also on the return on Tuesday the 18th.

Hopefully we'll get an update plane in June.

If you are using points for the JFK- LAX segment, it is 50000 points in each direction- for just 25000 more points, you can get the RT portion fro ATN on business class. The real icing on the cake for using AA points, is you are not changed any extra for the flights to and from LAX, along as you are starting in the Continental US.

If you are using points for the JFK- LAX segment, it is 50000 points in each direction- for just 25000 more points, you can get the RT portion fro ATN on business class. The real icing on the cake for using AA points, is you are not changed any extra for the flights to and from LAX, along as you are starting in the Continental US.

I got milesaver business class tickets for 25,000 miles each. I'm not seeing any FF availability for my dates on ATN.

For our flights over, ATN released coach tickets for AA to book 330 days prior to the flight, and then 2 business class tickets for that flight a few days later. Coming back, they only release one business class ticket, so the AA agent took the ticket and immediately, a second ticket opened up for release, which we took as well. If a couple is looking for two tickets, they should ask the agent to try that if they are told only one ticket is available.

I wish ATN had a 10am flight from PPT to LAX when we are sailing. They do, at times, but we were looking for June 1, and only the nighttime flights are listed on their flight schedule, so we are getting off the ship the night before debarkation for the flight around midnight.

Archived