How Reliable in Info on Empty Cabins?

Ships R Great

well I have booked run of house before so no assigned cabin but I had one, plus not sure how realtime the system is.

So if I got bumped to an outside my inside would be available, I feel there are more cabins available than what shows online plus there are holds put on cabins.

In what context were you asking your question?

plus a TA could buy a block of rooms and resell them too?

QUOTE]

I was wondering if I could request a change to a cabin that showed as unbooked, in the same category, if I didn't like what they assigned on a GTY.

If you are in the us, it is very easy to change...just call your ta or celebrity and request to be changed. It's more difficult is you are outside the us.

QUOTE]

I was wondering if I could request a change to a cabin that showed as unbooked, in the same category, if I didn't like what they assigned on a GTY.

Yes, you can change if you didn't like the GTY cabin and one is available in the same category.

Yes, you can change if you didn't like the GTY cabin and one is available in the same category.

No you cannot just change, trust me because I was trying to get some family members near to one another. Although you may be booked in a balcony for example, and you may see other balconies available, there may only be certain balcony rooms that are allocated within GTY. If you wanted a specific cabin or location, you should not book GTY. If you book GTY you save money. it's like Priceline. You take your chances.

No you cannot just change, trust me because I was trying to get some family members near to one another. Although you may be booked in a balcony for example, and you may see other balconies available, there may only be certain balcony rooms that are allocated within GTY. If you wanted a specific cabin or location, you should not book GTY. If you book GTY you save money. it's like Priceline. You take your chances.

You should keep trying. You can change an assigned GTY cabin to any other available room in the same category. I've done it several times with no problem. I was specifically told that this was allowable under their policy. I don't doubt you had trouble doing this, but this is just another example of inconsistent adherence to the policy.

Good luck,

Mike

We seem to always change the cabin assigned when we book gty. It is as simple as a phone call....but I book and live in the US. My understanding is that if you live/book in the UK or Europe, you can't change cabins the same way. No idea about Canadian's.

Celebrity does not have specific cabins for gty reservations. They do hold handicapped cabins and family cabins for appropriate passengers, but if you assigned a C2 cabin, you should be able to change to any other available C2 cabin at any time prior to the cruise. You can not change the cabin class, either up or down....must stay in the same class as assigned.

We are in Australia and had our GTY issued cabin changed, took 4 phone calls but it worked. I called X in the US and got a wonderful guy (as opposed to the obnoxious female I had the previous call) who told me which cabins were available and that I should contact my TA to contact their TA to Contact X in Aust to contact X in the US to change! My TA came back very promptly saying I had the cabin they told me was free.

Bit of a fiddle but worthwhile!

I am wondering if this was an experience on Celebrity. We have never, ever had problems switching cabins within any given category, nor has anyone I know, as I often help friends to do this when they book with Celebrity. If it is available within your category, you (or your TA) can call in and make the switch, whether you have booked a GTY, or whether a preferable cabin becomes available after you book a specific cabin. I have never heard of this not being permitted on Celebrity.

As for Canadians, in almost all matters regarding Celebrity, we are treated the same as US citizens. Sadly, this was not our experience on Holland America, where we have been penalized several times for being Canadian, particulary where financial issues are concerned.

As far as that European travel site that shows available cabins, it will show what Celebrity considers to be the top 15 cabins in any category, although there may be more available. This site must be tied into the Celebrity data base in some way, because if I put a hold on, or book a cabin through Celebrity, it disappears immmediately from this European web site, and similarly, if I release it with Celebrity, it shows up immediately back in inventory.

I have never ever had a situation where there was a discrepancy between the availability on that particular website and the Celebrity data base. As a matter of fact, I booked a last minute "Xciting Deal" last week directly with Celebrity, and asked for a specific cabin that I could see was available on that European website. At first the Celebrity Vacation Planner told me that it was not available, so I asked her to please check again, as the Euro-site was showing it as available, and sure enough, it was...the CVP had made a typing error.

The Euro-site is a terrific resource when booking a Celebrity cabin, and I only wish that Celebrity provided this option for showing availability on deck plans. It is so much easier to make a decision when you can see the available cabins plotted on the deck plans.

I am wondering if this was an experience on Celebrity. We have never, ever had problems switching cabins within any given category, nor has anyone I know, as I often help friends to do this when they book with Celebrity. If it is available within your category, you (or your TA) can call in and make the switch, whether you have booked a GTY, or whether a preferable cabin becomes available after you book a specific cabin. I have never heard of this not being permitted on Celebrity.

As for Canadians, in almost all matters regarding Celebrity, we are treated the same as US citizens. Sadly, this was not our experience on Holland America, where we have been penalized several times for being Canadian, particulary where financial issues are concerned.

As far as that European travel site that shows available cabins, it will show what Celebrity considers to be the top 15 cabins in any category, although there may be more available. This site must be tied into the Celebrity data base in some way, because if I put a hold on, or book a cabin through Celebrity, it disappears immmediately from this European web site, and similarly, if I release it with Celebrity, it shows up immediately back in inventory.

I have never ever had a situation where there was a discrepancy between the availability on that particular website and the Celebrity data base. As a matter of fact, I booked a last minute "Xciting Deal" last week directly with Celebrity, and asked for a specific cabin that I could see was available on that European website. At first the Celebrity Vacation Planner told me that it was not available, so I asked her to please check again, as the Euro-site was showing it as available, and sure enough, it was...the CVP had made a typing error.

The Euro-site is a terrific resource when booking a Celebrity cabin, and I only wish that Celebrity provided this option for showing availability on deck plans. It is so much easier to make a decision when you can see the available cabins plotted on the deck plans.

Interesting, I will have to check the Euro-site out as well.:D

Archived