Passport or Passport Card for CC Legend Western Carribean

Strmwatch

I'll be heading out on my first cruise...EVER, on the Legend out of Tampa on Sept 9.

My question is as the thread title asks.

Can the passport card be used on this cruise in lieu of my actual passport? (Yep I have both..thank you previous employer that covered the cost!)

I only ask because I don't know if Rotan island is actually considered the "Caribbean", or since Honduras is a country in "Central America".

As per the card it states "Valid only for international land and sea travel between United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda".

Obviously the card would be easier to carry and you don't need to worry about it getting damaged by water, etc.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I feel so badly for all of the people having to deal with ISAAC right now!!!

I'll be heading out on my first cruise...EVER, on the Legend out of Tampa on Sept 9.

My question is as the thread title asks.

Can the passport card be used on this cruise in lieu of my actual passport? (Yep I have both..thank you previous employer that covered the cost!)

I only ask because I don't know if Rotan island is actually considered the "Caribbean", or since Honduras is a country in "Central America".

As per the card it states "Valid only for international land and sea travel between United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda".

Obviously the card would be easier to carry and you don't need to worry about it getting damaged by water, etc.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I feel so badly for all of the people having to deal with ISAAC right now!!!

Yes...

But actually, all you really need is your birth certificate and a drivers license... passport/passport card not 100% necessary

Your 'card' will work as most anything in the Caribbean that is included in a 'closed loop' cruise (Roatan, too) requires at least a valid birth certificate and a drivers license. Your card exceeds that.

google the WHTI (western hemisphere travel initiative) for more information.

Others will add that you cannot fly home in the event of an emergency with the 'card'. At least not easily. A real passport doesn't have this limitation.

Unless you miss the ship or worse.:eek:

OP Since you have both I'd bring both.

People always say that and then leave their passport locked in the safe...

You don't need it. If for some reason you miss the ship (very rare)... you will have to go through a little more paperwork to get back into the country... but the horror stories people tell about being locked out of the country and not being allowed home are false...

You don't need it. If for some reason you miss the ship (very rare)... you will have to go through a little more paperwork to get back into the country... but the horror stories people tell about being locked out of the country and not being allowed home are false...

Always make copies keep the original in the safe and take (color) copies of the passport

Always a good thing to copy your credit cards and number to call in case your ripped off. As 800#'s normally don't work outside the USA contact your CC Company for info on what to do.

How long did it take you, how much paper work did you have to do?

Archived