Royal Caribbean - The Nickel and Dime Cruise Line

My wife ordered hash browns for breakfast and was literally given one spoon full.

moving to Holland America permanently.

I agree - they could give you more hashbrowns - I usually order more than one order - problem solved. (with no extra cost to me ;))

Enjoy Holland :)

I'm sorry you feel that way but I was just trying to help. I've never considered myself really mature but you realize that the majority of CC readers are adults, right. Your use of the word 'buzz' probably doesn't resonate well with a lot of readers. Now a personal attack would be pointing out that the word 'buzz' as used above is in fact not an adjective but I don't want to launch personal attacks. :D

The words drunk, tipsy, "buzzed" or "buzz" are adjectives to describe a state of intoxication. To me, buzzed, would be a lesser state, hence why I used it.

But if you would like to provide an English lesson on why I am wrong, I'll take the the time to read it. :D

I am an adult. A young one at 25, but an adult. You may want to rephrase, that most readers are older adults and that words like buzz wont resonate with older adults who have forgotten what it is like to be my age. I am slowly realizing that most users of CC don't relate to my age group. At all.

The words drunk, tipsy, "buzzed" or "buzz" are adjectives to describe a state of intoxication. To me, buzzed, would be a lesser state, hence why I used it.

But if you would like to provide an English lesson on why I am wrong, I'll take the the time to read it. :D

I am an adult. A young one at 25, but an adult. You may want to rephrase, that most readers are older adults and that words like buzz wont resonate with older adults who have forgotten what it is like to be my age. I am slowly realizing that most users of CC don't relate to my age group. At all.

I'll tell you what's funny about your youth.

You are probably too young to remember Beevus and Butthead.:D

i have kids older & younger than you;)so I think I might be able to relate. Age doesn't need to define a person, we socialize with friends ranging from late 20's into mid-60's and manage to communicate nicely. We enjoy a few drinks every day while on vacation, especially since we don't have to take turns being designated driver! As long as everybody is respectful of others around them and aren't sloppy drunks have at it imo.:)

you might be running into a bit of a vernacular issue with the word buzz being off-putting to some. For many of us who remember the 70's:cool:, being buzzed applies more to illicit drugs than booze...along the line of what you'd now associate with the term tweaked.

My daughter is your age. Hey you know 60 is the new 30. I know what a buzz is. I still get one from time to time...:D I will concur that some users of CC are crabby old folks and dont relate to MY age group. :p

I get my "buzz" getting on the ship, don't need any enhancers since I want to experience every minute of the cruise with a clear mind, not "buzzed". Then again with all the complementary wine in the Diamond lounge, it's easy to get "buzzed" when mixed with all my prescription pills. Us "old" people have to be careful.

My daughter is your age. Hey you know 60 is the new 30. I know what a buzz is. I still get one from time to time...:D I will concur that some users of CC are crabby old folks and dont relate to MY age group. :p

Hey sorry, didn't mean to call everyone older than me out! I just have been getting a lot of backlash and direct attacks for my less than happy view of the alcohol policy and my open enjoyment of drinking.

Hey sorry, didn't mean to call everyone older than me out! I just have been getting a lot of backlash and direct attacks for my less than happy view of the alcohol policy and my open enjoyment of drinking.

No worries..drink on...:D

I get my "buzz" getting on the ship, don't need any enhancers since I want to experience every minute of the cruise with a clear mind, not "buzzed". Then again with all the complementary wine in the Diamond lounge, it's easy to get "buzzed" when mixed with all my prescription pills. Us "old" people have to be careful.

:p Have to watch out for that "mixed buzz"...

Here is an option those who have limited funds for the extras on ships.

1) Don't buy bottled water - purchase your own Brita water bottle with filter so you can fill it with plain tap water and let it chill in the fridg. (the water on the ship is actually quite good).

2) Enjoy your meals in the dining rooms that don't have a cover charge- probably the MDR or the WJ

3) Go to the shows in the theater and lounges - great entertainment and no cover charge.

4) Don't pay for shore excursions if you have been to this island before. Just stroll around the part of town close to the ship - I have found some beautiful handmade throws in a small shop and only spent $25.00.

5)Say no to the photos - I inform the camera person that I do not wish to be photographed - most will comply

6) Don'y buy the drink packages unless you have a vary large bladder to drink that amount.

7 don't buy anything in the shop on board - especialy cosmetics

The point is - you can have your all inclusive cruise fair by not spending on things you would'd buy at home. Coach Bags are no barbain on a ship or in the ports - up can actually find better buys on ebay

All these pages....and no one has yet to show me where RCI threatens to break your arm if you don't buy the nickel or the dime stuff.

I marvel at the rightous indignation offered by folks that they might have to pay for something on a ship that is 100% optional!!!!

Most cruise lines will try to upsell you on something. If you are too nice and do not learn to 'say no' then you will be a 'victim'. Some people like what is offered, some do not, some get offended. A simple "no thank you" will suffice.

You have to remember that what they are selling is not really a 'deal'. Especially the jewelry, liquor, and gift shop. The only deal I really saw was on cigarettes, if you are a smoker then you can load up and it will save you a ton. Then I learned that buying smokes offshore is even cheaper, $13 a carton is not bad.

Now that they made it convenient to pay to have my teeth whitened, acupuncture, a shave, haircut, massage, own "fine" artwork, decorate cupcakes, build a scrapbook, make jewelry, blow stuff a sea pet, get temporary tattoos, and rent a stationary bike for "spinning", I'm ready for that heart bypass and brain tumor removal in the forward salon.

It's easy, as someone said above, just say no, politely and move on. I do love those $19.99 watch sets though. Gets me every cruise.:D

As far as breakfast in general, I really look forward to having the smoked salmon.

I noticed a few years ago that its no longer self served in the WJ. You have to ask for it.

That doesn’t bother me; I always eat breakfast in the MDR where the salmon is on the menu. It’s a fairly expensive item to have on the breakfast menu.

I’m watching for it to someday disappear in some cost cutting move.

And then the “Salmon Man” will go from table to table at breakfast, peddling smoked salmon for $2.50 extra. J

"Salmon Man" that's too funny!

As far as breakfast in general, I really look forward to having the smoked salmon.

I noticed a few years ago that its no longer self served in the WJ. You have to ask for it.

That doesn’t bother me; I always eat breakfast in the MDR where the salmon is on the menu. It’s a fairly expensive item to have on the breakfast menu.

I’m watching for it to someday disappear in some cost cutting move.

And then the “Salmon Man” will go from table to table at breakfast, peddling smoked salmon for $2.50 extra. J

"Salmon Man" that's too funny!

They still offer it on the WJ in NCL. I had it every morning. :-)

To say that we were highly disappointed in the seeming transformation of Royal Caribbean from a somewhat upscale cruise line to what I've now labelled as The Nickel and Dime Cruise Line may be an understatement.

- Royal Caribbean has never been a "somewhat upscale cruise line." You may have considered it as such but it is and has always been marketed as a mainstream line.

- The alternative to nickel and diming pax is an across the board increase in cruise prices to cover the cost of optional items of which some pax wish to avail themselves while others do not. You can be sure pax who are not interested in the "extras" wouldn't be terribly happy about being asked to pay more for their cruise to cover the cost of someone else's extras.

- Royal Caribbean has never been a "somewhat upscale cruise line." You may have considered it as such but it is and has always been marketed as a mainstream line.

- The alternative to nickel and diming pax is an across the board increase in cruise prices to cover the cost of optional items of which some pax wish to avail themselves while others do not. You can be sure pax who are not interested in the "extras" wouldn't be terribly happy about being asked to pay more for their cruise to cover the cost of someone else's extras.

They'd still complain they were being nickel & dimed.

Archived