Thoughts on the Transatlantic cruise

cvrap

:cool:We have now been on several cruises, two with Disney, the Wonder and Dream. I'm now trying to decide on whether we should try the transatlantic next summer

Do you think the entertainment and characters will be there throughout the cruise? We actually would have 6 or 7 full days at sea. I just don't want the girls to get bored, although I know we will enjoy a lot of the downtime.

Any experiences would be great!!:D

:cool:We have now been on several cruises, two with Disney, the Wonder and Dream. I'm now trying to decide on whether we should try the transatlantic next summer

Do you think the entertainment and characters will be there throughout the cruise? We actually would have 6 or 7 full days at sea. I just don't want the girls to get bored, although I know we will enjoy a lot of the downtime.

Any experiences would be great!!:D

As you say, you'll be out at sea, where are the characters going to go? :D

We've done 3 long cruises on DCL - 15 nights, 10 nights, and 14 nights (actually the last two were B2B, so that was 24 nights). Besides the regular Broadway style shows that each ship does, there were plenty of entertainers that were brought onboard at the different ports for "local flavor". So, there was a different show each night. And different menus each night, also.

The kids clubs are generally less full on the longer cruises, especially since it's during school time, so there is a lot more interaction with the CMs running the clubs. On our first cruise there were so few kids that they did an actual Pajama Party for the kids in the kids clubs. Yes, overnight, so the parents onboard actually got some time off! That doesn't happen often (in fact, I'm not sure it's been repeated). But that was something that they came up with after the cruise was underway.

:)

Oh, something else I will point out, going east bound, you'll have a number of days that will only be 23 hours long (setting the clocks back every night, mostly on the at sea days). That makes it hard on some people.

We did the last WBTA on the Magic and loved it. There is plenty to do and Disney brings on special events for the cruise. If you take the Westbound, you get an additional port as well as longer dates. This is not only better as a cruiser, but its easier on the staff too... Imagine only having a 23 hour day and having to still get everything done. Have however also done the EBTA on a different cruise line and that was fun too.

EBTA is a great way of avoiding jet lag and arriving fresh, especially if you manage to spend some time in Europe afterwards.

If you do the trip, one of the high points for us was seeing the hilarious crossing ceremony at the mid point in the Atlantic. Kudos to our fantastic cruise director for going into the pool fully dressed!

The problem we had was fitting everything in. There were so many films and shows we didn't get to. Plus plenty of characters! We had a full compliment of princesses and would often be walking around and bump into one of the characters. Stitch is one of my favourites. There was also a special princess tea party. After hours, adults get to go play in the kids area and do things like make flubber and build racing cars out of bars of soap.

You still get different shows everynight, though sometimes from local acts. The menu changes every day too, no repetitions. What's also nice is that for the Transatlantic, Disney often pushes the boat out on guest artists. You may get one of the leads from a NY Disney production, a famous animator teaching everyone to draw, etc... The sort of thing that ONLY Disney can deliver.

I can't promise you you'll love it because everyone is different but would we go back again? Yes, in a heartbeat.

I'll second that!

We did the WBTA last year, and now my DH is totally spoiled! He loved being lazy on those sea days- and we did multiple Palo dinners and brunches (I think we did 2 of each) because due to sea days there were plenty of openings!

Did Mixology classes, pub crawls, champagne tastings, movies, shows, hot tub, FABs, spa, galley tour, sleep, I've never been so relaxed!!

Archived