GS Fare Reduction or Suite Guarantee - Likely?

I have never paid much attention to guarantees - when they are typically offered and at what price. Mostly I've monitored price drops for the cabin I have booked.

We are in a D1 hump cabin on Freedom (which I'm sure we'll love), but it's our 20th anniversary and I was hoping there was at least a small chance that we could upgrade to a JS or GS, but the price differences right now are just too steep.

I know there's some unfathomable formula that Royal uses to decide these things, but for those of you with more experience than I, here are my questions: Which is more likely, a reduction in the fare for JS/ GS, or a suite guarantee? Or are both unlikely? Has anybody seen a suite guarantee on Freedom recently?

probably none of the above....you really have to watch prices daily..:eek::D

that said...we're on the same cruise and while i don't want my balcony to drop, if a JS was available for the same price-ish i would upgrade...

(and since we're past final, no refunds of course..)

SOMETIMES suite guarantees will open up late...but it's really all up to the revenue department.....the only time i had suite GTYs was on a B2B on EX a few years back...and they opened up hmm..MAYBE 1 month-ish before sailing. we had to change cabins but had the Royal Family Suite for 1 leg, and a GS for the 2nd...

it's all up to the revenue department's secret decoder ring...

that didn't help much huh?? :p

There are quite a few suites left on your sailing, so I think its possible you may see either a price drop on JS's or a Suite Guarantee open up.

I'd keep a close eye on both pricing and availability. Don't forget to watch for special rates that you qualify for...

Does Royal Caribbean do anything for people who are already booked, when a price drop occurs after final payment? It has been a while since we have sailed with RC. Our price dropped a little right after final payment and dropped another $500 (regular price listed on website - not a tuesday sale...) in the last week.

Does Royal Caribbean do anything for people who are already booked, when a price drop occurs after final payment? It has been a while since we have sailed with RC. Our price dropped a little right after final payment and dropped another $500 (regular price listed on website - not a tuesday sale...) in the last week.

no....unless a category higher is the same price you paid, then you can upgrade..otherwise, no...the rules changed a few years ago....they no longer give refunds/OBC for price drops after final payment

That's OK, Meg - that's pretty much what I figured. I just keep seeing folks posting about wonderful upgrades from guarantees, but rarely on Freedom. Thanks.

It might help to keep in mind that the vast majority of passengers who book GTYs are assigned cabins that are in or close to the original GTY. I know that it's common to go from a minimum GTY in a class to a higher category in the same class (lowest inside to highest, for example) and sometimes into the next class up, but very rarely from balcony to full suite.

I think it seems like we hear about great upgrades all the time, but I also think it's because those lucky CC members love to post about it--and why wouldn't they? Members rarely come to post that they received an assignment in the GTY category they booked.

However, there's no reason to give up hope that you might find a fare reduction into a suite or suite GTY. You just never know, so keep checking and keep hoping. It does happen from time to time.

beachchick

So....tonight a suite guarantee appeared for our cruise for $500 more PP than we paid for our D1. I think that's a lot, since it's likely we'll get a JS and nothing higher. What would YOU do?

Whether that is worth it is really up to you. The JS does give you double points. Something may happen after final payment which is getting close. Our Splendour cruise in May, about a week before the cruise we got to jump from an inside to a D2 for about $150 each.

Our Radiance cruise starting next month, the drop was right around final payment time. We got to hop from an inside to JS for about $380. Just had to keep watching every day.

I just checked on RC. They have a "W" class offered in the Suite area. It's listed at $1589 per person. There are 22 JS left on that sailing (please do NOT ask me how I know this information, I cannot post it here, thank you).

I'm not sure what you paid but if it's a bit more, you can upgrade to the "W" cabin. I believe you will get a JS but who knows what RC might do. There are 9 GS left, and a few above that even.

Best of luck to you! (and Happy Anniversary!)

:)

There are about 30+ suites (starting at Junior suites..) and up

personally $500 PP i think is too much...if you get a JS you're getting a bigger cabin, a tub and double points, but not actual SUITE benefits...

you'd need a GS or higher for Concierge lounge access and is that chance worth $1000?

Maybe $500 total.....

that said, prices on those cabins might go down....(or maybe the upgrade fairly will come out of retirement...Ms Upgrade Fairy...feel free to move me...you don't even have to call ...:D;))

i would keep watching....it is your anniversary and only you know if your pocket book can spare the extra cash.......but IMO (since you asked) i think it's too much...

I wouldn't do it at that price. Several of us were booked in a "w" for our November 24th Oasis sailing. Before and right at final payment, we were all assigned JS cabins though there were LESS JS available than GS and quite a few higher than GS cabins open. I posted this and several other people told me on other ships they were just assigned their W guarantee cabins and were given JS. Lots of stories lately about w guarantees getting JS cabins. I think I paid about $700 total for the increase from balcony to W and that was only because my BF is getting home from deployment, it will be his birthday, his first ever cruise, AND our anniversary all around the same time. I've been saving during his time away, or I wouldn't have done it.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Thanks to all for your advice! I will just keep checking.

Beachchick, I wasn't hoping for a suite from a balcony guarantee, I was hoping that a suite guarantee would be offered at some point.

I probably should have been clearer. I was responding only to the comment that we often hear about great upgrades from GTYs, not specifically your hopes/plans for this cruise.

beachchick

Thanks again, everyone. My husband and I discussed it and we agree that $1000 is too much, just for a small chance at a GS, with the possibility of being assigned a JS in a less desirable location than our D1 hump. Makes me feel better that all of you agree. We are going to wait a couple of weeks and see what happens.

(Thanks for the clarification, beachchick!)

Anne

I booked a "luxury suite" GTY (w) last week on the Liberty for 20th Oct. Just got my cabin assigned and it was a Junior suite. Always hope for something spectacular but hey ho. The great thing was that it was booked at a lower price than a balcony and we ended up getting a great location so all good.

This morning the Suite Guarantee dropped to $200 pp in addition to what we paid for our D1. We went for it and will be happy with a JS. Will love the extra space, bigger balcony, etc. and the extra points toward Diamond. If we get a GS, that's just gravy.

There you go, nice work. :)

Congrats

This morning the Suite Guarantee dropped to $200 pp in addition to what we paid for our D1. We went for it and will be happy with a JS. Will love the extra space, bigger balcony, etc. and the extra points toward Diamond. If we get a GS, that's just gravy.

Awesome! Enjoy your JS (or maybe even better).

Archived