Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

The cruise of 26th August was delayed due to storm Issac. But the subsequent management at Miami port was nothing short of mismanagement and poor communication. If not set right shortly there will be chaos and retribution from the passengers gathered here since 2pm and it is 9pm. People have been prOmised food (lunch earlier and dinner) with nothing turning up and staff throwing up their hands. Ship is not ready and no food served here for about 9 hrs. Families on warpath. Total mismanagement leaving passengers without food in addition to 34 hour delay. If u have any plans of cruising on CARNIVAL you need to fend for your own if this is how their management team works

Get over it you are dealing with a major tropical storm.

What would you have them do?

Simple. Make an effort. ANY effort.

Bottom line is Carnival would probably have to come off some $$ to make this happen.

That's why it didn't. At least a phone call to the local FD would have at the very least, produced some MREs.

They chose to turn a blind eye to the situation. I'm sure they're looking forward to THIS cruise.

Now, all you cheerleaders can yell and scream about how it's not Carnival's fault. At least until something like this happens to you and you return and post anonymously.

Action is a great restorer and builder of confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the cause, of fear. Perhaps the action you take will be successful; perhaps different action or adjustments will have to follow. But any action is better than no action at all. ~ Norman Vincent Peale

Simple. Make an effort. ANY effort.

Bottom line is Carnival would probably have to come off some $$ to make this happen.

That's why it didn't. At least a phone call to the local FD would have at the very least, produced some MREs.

They chose to turn a blind eye to the situation. I'm sure they're looking forward to THIS cruise.

Now, all you cheerleaders can yell and scream about how it's not Carnival's fault. At least until something like this happens to you and you return and post anonymously.

Action is a great restorer and builder of confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the cause, of fear. Perhaps the action you take will be successful; perhaps different action or adjustments will have to follow. But any action is better than no action at all. ~ Norman Vincent Peale

Call the local FD, are you saying that the fire department should have been called? Oh my heaven. I would think that any emergency rations that the fire department may have possession of should be held for an emergency! I can hear the phone call now:

Miami Fire Department: What is the problem sir?

Cruiser: Our ship hasn't arrived, we are sitting at the terminal and we haven't eaten anything since 9am.

MFD: Since 9AM? Where you aware that the Miami port was closed until further notice?

Cruiser: Well we told not to show up until 8PM but you know how that goes.

MFD: No sir, I don't. Why didn't you get some food before going to the terminal?

Cruiser:Well I figured that once we arrived at the closed port, someone would take care of us. Now listen, we were promised food and drink by the cruiselines and we need some kind of food.

MFD: Sorry sir. We cannot hand out our rations because someone hasn't eaten since 9AM. We need them for people who haven't eaten or had a drink in days. Good Luck to you sir. Your ship should be arriving after the port is allowed to open again.

Carnival should have done everything but the cruiser who didn't look at the Carnival website is completely in the right? And no I am not a cheerleader but a very logical person.

:D

Calling Subway and ordering 550 subs? I would imagine that since their arrival and turn around time to get out by 1:30am, all staff was busy as all hell. Don't forget they had areas to clean, staterooms to clean, food to make, get luggage on and off and get supplies loaded and checked.

I have to wonder if the people who arrived at the port had been informed that there would be no getting on the ship until 9pm. Could they have dropped off their luggage and left for a brief period of time?

I would be questioning things if I didn't see the ship in port to begin with, but that is just me.

This isnt the first time a port has been shut down or a delay in boarding.

Shouldnt there be an SOP for these situations. Some type of contingency plan.

Carnival did a lot of things right. Got ships out of harm's way, got transportation, even got a convention center.

All it was missing was handling those who were already at the port. No food or drink as promised and not informed when they could realistically board. Just left in a limbo.

When I read the alert it said food and drink would be supplied at the convention center.... not the port. Later on it changed to a $25.00 compensation to cover cost of dinner purchased on the local economy.

Call the local FD, are you saying that the fire department should have been called? Oh my heaven. I would think that any emergency rations that the fire department may have possession of should be held for an emergency! I can hear the phone call now:

-nonsense snipped-

:D

ANY action is preferable to NO action at all.

MREs have been served to folks on a broken tourbus, stranded boaters etc. That's what they're for...

There should be some sort of general plan in place for this type of event. But let me ask you this, should Carnival be responsible for 2000+ people who do not check their website before leaving for the port when it is a known fact the day before that a TS/Hurrican was affecting these FL ports?

ANY action is preferable to NO action at all.

MREs have been served to folks on a broken tourbus, stranded boaters etc. That's what they're for...

Are you allowed to snip posts just because you feel like it? And that is insulting to call it nonsense, IMO.

And your defination of an emergency and mine vary greatly.

Absolutely! That is why they are (supposedly) the experts. The stranded folks have no choice in the matter. What are they supposed to do, hail a taxi for 550?

The sheer number "550" makes it obvious that the pertinent information was not disseminated appropriately.

All it takes is for somebody to "pull the trigger". Make a decision! Indecision is what doomed the Costa ship. Not that it's the same but it certainly seems like a pattern.

Absolutely! That is why they are (supposedly) the experts. The stranded folks have no choice in the matter. What are they supposed to do, hail a taxi for 550?

The sheer number "550" makes it obvious that the pertinent information was not disseminated appropriately.

All it takes is for somebody to "pull the trigger". Make a decision! Indecision is what doomed the Costa ship. Not that it's the same but it certainly seems like a pattern.

People who did not eat for 12 hours in no way compares to what happened to the Costa ship.

There should be some sort of general plan in place for this type of event. But let me ask you this, should Carnival be responsible for 2000+ people who do not check their website before leaving for the port when it is a known fact the day before that a TS/Hurrican was affecting these FL ports?

If you go by a cruise contract no but if you want good customer service yes

You and I would know to look up what is going on BUT.......

I have family and freinds that dont have a smart phone or dont surf the web. Weve cruised with people that dont carry cell phones or book everything thru a TA.

Just because this is the digital age not everyone subscribes.

Absolutely!

All it takes is for somebody to "pull the trigger". Make a decision!

I absolutely agree with this. Royal Caribbean made the decision early on (maybe even on Friday, but could have been early Saturday) that the Allure would stay out to sea another 2 days - originally scheduled to come in and drop pax on Sunday and pick up new ones, instead they stayed out and let everyone know exactly what was going to happen well ahead of time.

I absolutely agree with this. Royal Caribbean made the decision early on (maybe even on Friday, but could have been early Saturday) that the Allure would stay out to sea another 2 days - originally scheduled to come in and drop pax on Sunday and pick up new ones, instead they stayed out and let everyone know exactly what was going to happen well ahead of time.

And you still have people complaining on their boards.

Was Ft Lauderdale ports closed or did the ships just decide to stay out because of the tides and wind?

Let's not forget that Carnival had to go by what the Port of Miami decided on, not what they wanted as for the timing of the ships arriving.

And you still have people complaining on their boards.

Was Ft Lauderdale ports closed or did the ships just decide to stay out because of the tides and wind?

Let's not forget that Carnival had to go by what the Port of Miami decided on, not what they wanted as for the timing of the ships arriving.

I saw traffic inbound to FLL yesterday so Im thinking it was RCCL decision.

While the Allure may be a design marvel it is also a really big sail:eek: Im thinking they made that decision to protect the billion dollar baby

I saw traffic inbound to FLL yesterday so Im thinking it was RCCL decision.

While the Allure may be a design marvel it is also a really big sail:eek: Im thinking they made that decision to protect the billion dollar baby

Yep, I do think the FL port was open...and yes there was lots of speculation that the decision was partly to protect "the baby". LOL

But...it worked out too that all current and next sailing pax knew exactly what was going on! ;)

Yep, I do think the FL port was open...and yes there was lots of speculation that the decision was partly to protect "the baby". LOL

But...it worked out too that all current and next sailing pax knew exactly what was going on! ;)

There was a post on RCL on facebook from a passenger that b!tched up a storm because no information was being given to them.

Im booking a cruise end of september due to the cheap rate. cheapest i have found from sept-jan. i know its hurricane season and the things that can happen. thats what makes me a traveller not a tourist.

How do you know that everyone knew what was going on? Because they looked at the website? Some got a text? Some got an email? What about those people who do not use cell phones and such......??

Listen, people are still complaining about what happened with the Allure. The shorten cruise coming up, the OBC isn't enough....yada yada yada. Their customer service is more than likely pulling their hair out also. Some didn't get their credit for missed ports on the Monarch because (:eek:) their office that handles that stuff wasn't opened. They had a cruise to nowhere and arrived back in port late. I don't blame the captain for keeping the ship out of harms way. Good judgement but it wasn't just his call.

I can't imagine all the complaints that could have been read here if the Port of Miami would have refused to open the port.

YES, there should be some plan in place for these ports that are not open. The number one listed should be

1. DO NOT allow any passengers to enter the terminal.

2. Pasengers that are being delayed entrance and boarding can drop off the luggage to be held until ship is ready to load. *Do not drop off any luggage that may contain boarding papers or meds.

you get the general idea... no need to wait for 9 hours without food then.

How do you know that everyone knew what was going on? Because they looked at the website? Some got a text? Some got an email? What about those people who do not use cell phones and such......??

Listen, people are still complaining about what happened with the Allure. The shorten cruise coming up, the OBC isn't enough....yada yada yada. Their customer service is more than likely pulling their hair out also. Some didn't get their credit for missed ports on the Monarch because (:eek:) their office that handles that stuff wasn't opened. They had a cruise to nowhere and arrived back in port late. I don't blame the captain for keeping the ship out of harms way. Good judgement but it wasn't just his call.

I can't imagine all the complaints that could have been read here if the Port of Miami would have refused to open the port.

YES, there should be some plan in place for these ports that are not open. The number one listed should be

1. DO NOT allow any passengers to enter the terminal.

2. Pasengers that are being delayed entrance and boarding can drop off the luggage to be held until ship is ready to load. *Do not drop off any luggage that may contain boarding papers or meds.

you get the general idea... no need to wait for 9 hours without food then.

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry...my posts were more lighthearted than not. I don't think any one cruise line handled it all perfectly. Its impossible to handle that kind of situation perfectly. Jeez. :rolleyes:

Im booking a cruise end of september due to the cheap rate. cheapest i have found from sept-jan. i know its hurricane season and the things that can happen. thats what makes me a traveller not a tourist.

With you booking a sept cruise its cheap because its past final payment.

I just checked a Disney cruise out of Galveston for Halloween and its $475pp for a balcony with my Mil discount. They same cruise I looked at last month(before final payment) was 3 times as much with no discount

Usually the cheapest cruise is the week after Thanksgiving and the first week of December if Im booking before final payment..IMHO

ill be honest, i skipped everything after page 3. people blaming the OP for this just irks me.

i am diabetic, so, to be stuck somewhere with no access to food for 9 hours is kind of a big deal and a big problem for me. i cant imagine that there were no other diabetics stuck in that terminal with the OP ...

it could be ignorance of my part, but i didnt realize you could bring food on board the ship. many others probably thought the same. i guess thats a lesson learned for next time.

So sorry for what you are dealing with.....but do you think THEY were prepared for this?

I know, how could Carnival possibly be prepared for a major storm in Florida during Hurricane season?

Carnival should at least TELL those people when they show up at the port that the ship won't be boarding until 8pm and that they should go to the Doubletree.

Archived