First Time In Naples - Stay In Naples Or.....

pirokp

Thanks eurocruiser, great info....

If you had to choose one museum which would you prefer? I read some tripadvisor reviews that mentioned quite a few of the areas in the archaeology museum were closed off. We may want a more leisurely day and make sure we have time for pizza and pastry, rather than rush right back to the ship - I find the certosa pictures/views drawing me to there...although we will be visiting some villas and churches in Rome post cruise - have visited Rome for a week before doing the "first timers" route.

As far as central Naples, proximity to ship, and logistics of travel/transport - which one is closer/easier to get to, takes less time to travel to....We may be a small group and grab taxi for 4

Hmmmm...by taxi the archeology museum is closer and faster. The route to the Certosa is more straightforward by public transit because you go straight up the mountain in the funicular. By taxi you've got to get around it and up.

The content of the two museums is completly different, so that's where your choice lies. Both are excellent, you won't go wrong either way.

In terms of neighborhood, the archeology museum is in the heart of the city, near one of the major universities, so it's always busy and vibrant. The Certosa, while still of the city, is in a residential neighborhood.

From the archeology museum you'll be within walking distance of del Presidente for pizza (about a half mile from the museum): http://www.ilpizzaiolodelpresidente.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=101

I've never eaten in the Certosa neighborhood, but I do have a favorite place you could hit on the way back, near the waterfront in the Chiaia section, Canta Napoli (Via Chiatamone, 36). sorry but I can't find a web site for that one.

Hmmmm...by taxi the archeology museum is closer and faster. The route to the Certosa is more straightforward by public transit because you go straight up the mountain in the funicular. By taxi you've got to get around it and up.

The content of the two museums is completly different, so that's where your choice lies. Both are excellent, you won't go wrong either way.

In terms of neighborhood, the archeology museum is in the heart of the city, near one of the major universities, so it's always busy and vibrant. The Certosa, while still of the city, is in a residential neighborhood.

From the archeology museum you'll be within walking distance of del Presidente for pizza (about a half mile from the museum): http://www.ilpizzaiolodelpresidente.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=101

I've never eaten in the Certosa neighborhood, but I do have a favorite place you could hit on the way back, near the waterfront in the Chiaia section, Canta Napoli (Via Chiatamone, 36). sorry but I can't find a web site for that one.

Great info, appreciate it very much! I think going to Certosa would be a more scenic day, and leave us time for a nice lunch in town and then back to ship for packing.....we are on a power packed 11 night cruise, only one sea day- Most days are a push off start time of 8:15 and thereabouts. Add 4 days pre cruise Venice, 4 days post cruise Rome, it will be pretty jam packed. I think views and ambience win out over displays - despite being a ruins and art enthusiast.

Archived