House wine cost?

liverpoollad

On QV last week they were offering a limited selection (whites were pinot g & sauvignon - no chardonnay) at $20 + 15% service. I was told that these were the last of the Californian wines hence the price; the latest are sourced from Italy and priced at $29.95 + service. The offer seemed to be selling quite well...

The lower priced bin ends are the wines from Wente that used to be the house wine of Cunard, now they have moved over to an Italian vineyard/shipper

I liked the Wente wines that they sold. I have the label from one of those wines stuck in a journal somewhere. The wine steward kindly soaked it off for me.

I liked the Wente wines that they sold. I have the label from one of those wines stuck in a journal somewhere. The wine steward kindly soaked it off for me.

So did I, particularly one of the reds.

Many thanks to those who answered my question about Wente disappearing from Cunard:).

Mary

I read somewhere that IF you are going to buy expensive/high cost wines, then you should buy French wines - BUT if you are going to buy low cost wines, then you should buy "new World" wines. ???

I have never tried "high cost" French wines -- but in the low cost department, I think the theory is valid!!

Barry

if you are going to buy low cost wines, then you should buy "new World" wines. ???

I guess this is a case of "to each his own" ;)

I found the house wine on Cunard rather undrinkable or, to be more friendly, less pleasant. This is quite a contrast to the low cost house wines one gets in e.g. many Italian restaurants.

In general there will alway be a better European wine for any given "new world" wine of what ever price level. (IMHO - of course I am European.)

Anyway I do not know if the new Italian house wine on Cunard is any better than then Californian one but I never understood why Cunard, given its "old world", "British" image did serve an American house wine.

Likewise, while the wine list is still the best I have seen on any ship, it emphazises the American side to much and underepresents Europe. The worst is the huge premium Cunard charges on European wines.

I guess this is a case of "to each his own" ;)

I found the house wine on Cunard rather undrinkable or, to be more friendly, less pleasant. This is quite a contrast to the low cost house wines one gets in e.g. many Italian restaurants.

In general there will alway be a better European wine for any given "new world" wine of what ever price level. (IMHO - of course I am European.)

Anyway I do not know if the new Italian house wine on Cunard is any better than then Californian one but I never understood why Cunard, given its "old world", "British" image did serve an American house wine.

Likewise, while the wine list is still the best I have seen on any ship, it emphazises the American side to much and underepresents Europe. The worst is the huge premium Cunard charges on European wines.

Hmm - yes, well when I used the the "New World" wines, I wasn't thinking about Californian wines. Many of the NAPA Valley wines have become expensive as well - and the lesser priced Californian wines are a little like -- well, cheap European wines.

I was more thinking about other wines from emerging markets. I, of course, being Australian - am biased as well :) and I only ever drink inexpensive wines, so I do know those that are good and those that are insipid. :)

I do agree that the housewine on Cunard is undrinkable - as is the housewine on P&O UK

Barry

Archived