Bus to Vatican Museum

shoesonfire

No, unfortunately there's no easy way to do this other than on foot.

There is only one bus that serves the Roma San Pietro station, the #64. You can take this for five stops to Acciaioli, where you'd walk a half block to the river, turn left on Lungotevere and walk one more block to the Largo Fiorentini stop where you'd get on the #23 bus and take this for four stops to the Bastioni di Michelangelo stop. From here you'd walk around the corner to Viale Vaticano and about a block to the museums entrance.

It would take longer by bus than to walk, given the wait time between buses and the out of the way route, but if you have issues walking (it's a one and a quarter mile walk directly from the San Pietro station to the entrance of the museums) AND if there are no taxis available at the train station when you arrive, it's a fallback option.

Thanks again -- I kept searching the metro/bus routes and couldn't find one from S. Pietro to Vatican. Don't have a mobility problem just wanted another option in case we are running late. Would taking the train from Civi to Roma Termini and then the metro to Cipro be a good alternative or would that take even more time?

Going all the way to Termini would add a lot of time; the train slows and crawls into Termini, then you have the time to get to the metro, wait for the train, plus the third of a mile walk from the metro stop to the museums entrance. I really think your best option is on foot from San Pietro, even if it means jogging a bit. If you're trying to make the entry time for your reservation to the museums, you can be late and they'll let you in. Not two hours late, but 15 - 30 minutes won't matter.

Going all the way to Termini would add a lot of time; the train slows and crawls into Termini, then you have the time to get to the metro, wait for the train, plus the third of a mile walk from the metro stop to the museums entrance. I really think your best option is on foot from San Pietro, even if it means jogging a bit. If you're trying to make the entry time for your reservation to the museums, you can be late and they'll let you in. Not two hours late, but 15 - 30 minutes won't matter.

As always you have given me peace of mind. My concern was being late for our pre-booked entry time to the Museum. You as well as other well informed posters on this forum are a true blessing for those of us traveling to Italy. Thank you!:)

Nearest Metro to Vatican Museum is in fact Ottaviano .

Yes, but the savings in distance is negligible (an entire 50 meters, or .03 miles). The real benefits of Ottaviano (vs. Cipro) are that you'd get to the museums faster because you'd be off the train a couple of minutes earlier and that walking from the Cipro stop requires climbing a staircase (or taking a longer route).

Obviously, thanks to all your comments, walking is the best way from S. Pietro Station to the Vatican Museum. Google maps walking directions begin at S. Pietro to Via di Santa Maria alle Fornaci, to via della Fornaci, onto Piazza dei Santo Uffizio, to Via Paolo Vi, Largo degli Alicorni, onto Largo del Colonnato becoming Via di Porta Angelica, to Piazzza del Risorgimento to Viale Bastioni di Michaelangelo, Via Leone IV -- Viale Vaticano.

IS this the best and fastest walking route?

I remember a discussion about the secret door not being open on Wednesday until after 12 noon. We would like to use this exit if possible around 12:45 or 1 p.m. Is it possible early Vatican tour groups will be exiting at this time, allowing us an opportunity to get to the Basilica before 1:30? It would allow us to spend more time in the Museum and not have the longer walk to St. Peter's for our 1:45 Scavi tour.

Based on my own usage (and most metro maps), I always thought Cipro was closer to the Vatican museum entrance and Ottaviano was closer to St. Peter's -- see upper left, red line at this link: http://www.rome.info/metro/

Is that not the case?

They are equidistant from the museums entrance, but Cipro is almost twice as far from St. Peter's as Ottaviano (from Cipro to the basilica is 0.9 miles, from Ottaviano is 0.5 miles).

They are equidistant from the museums entrance, but Cipro is almost twice as far from St. Peter's as Ottaviano (from Cipro to the basilica is 0.9 miles, from Ottaviano is 0.5 miles).

We will walk since taking Metro from S. Pietro Stazione is not a good option, however, since google maps and maquest have often provided inaccurate walking directions, can you please confirm if the directions in my previous post are accurate and the fastest route to take. Thanks again.

....I remember a discussion about the secret door not being open on Wednesday until after 12 noon. We would like to use this exit if possible around 12:45 or 1 p.m. Is it possible early Vatican tour groups will be exiting at this time, allowing us an opportunity to get to the Basilica before 1:30? It would allow us to spend more time in the Museum and not have the longer walk to St. Peter's for our 1:45 Scavi tour.

The reason the secret door to the Basilica opens later is because of the Pope's audience in St. Peter's Square. Check the Vatican calendar to see if the Pope is giving an audience the day you're there (http://www.vatican.va/various/prefettura/en/udienze_en.html) If he isn't, then you can probably take the secret door.

I am not sure of the street names but as you leave San Pietro station you will see the dome of St Peters - just head towards it, basically to the left as you leave the station then turn 1st right and keep going, crossing a couple of streets. Keep your eye on the dome and follow the crowd. You will then come to an underpass that takes you under the main road and brings you out very close to St Peters square. Cross the square then just basically follow the Vatican walls on the other side, the museum is signposted and very easy to find. It might well be a mile and a quarter as Euros Cruiser said but it will not seem that far, you will be enjoying the sights of St Peters on the way.

Archived