shore excursions in baltics other than St Pete

poss

Today's the day I can book online for our shore excursions from Voyager in July. I'm pretty well set for St Pete (tho I fear I've made the days too long, touring-wise). I haven't read on these boards at all abt shore excursions (other than the cities themselves, which we can do ourselves) in Visby, Tallinn, Helsinki. Some of the hiking, biking, canoing sounds good, but I wish I could get some feedback. E.g. with just a half day in Visby, I wonder if it makes sense to spend time going to the coast to hike a bit; we love hiking (more than churches, museums etc), but maybe Visby itself should get all our time. Same with Tallinn and Helsinki: trying to decide whether to spend the day just stroliing the cities (we dislike shopping, tho enjoy walking around markets) or do some of the tours that get out in the countryside a bit. Curious that no one seems to do those things (at least not to report on those tours on these boards). Still hoping to hear...

On my Baltic trip two years ago I did everything by myself. Most of the Baltic towns are small enough to walk anywhere you want to go. Visby was one of my favorite ports - they were having a medieval festival, which was great fun even though I didn't understand Swedish. There is a lovely botannical garden to stroll through, as well as the usual museum and walk around the walls. Every town has an information office with good maps (take them!). In Tallinn it is easy to walk up to the old town or take a horse-drawn carriage tour. In Helsinki there's a sightseeing bus for half the cost of the ship's excursion. Many people speak English. Enjoy!:)

Though it has been a few years, Visby is one of my favorite ports also. Just walking around and getting the feel of this wonderful town is fun. We found the people extremely friendly. Some Swedish women just stopped their car on the street and struck up a conversation with us. The roses will be beautiful. We weren't there during the festival, but just loved it. I'll be back there again on July 3rd on my Voyager Baltic cruise. Can't wait.

I would recommend the city tour of Helsinki. It has some interesting places to offer. The Senate Square, Sebelious Monument, the Kauppatori market and Temppeliaukio (Rock) Church are really interesting.

Enjoy!!

Archived