Need to book tomorrow. Husband recovering from stroke, so how does it 'look'?

dcsam

Well ..................Since the opinions of your co-workers matter to you, as they would to most people, perhaps it would be better to ask for their opinions in advance instead of ours.

They may surprise you and be more supportive than you anticipate...........

After reading your response to the OP, I wish I was as smart as you to reply with the perfect answer!! I never even considered that she should ask her co-workers their opinion. It makes better sense, in retrospect, that she talks to them and maybe explain what she has been coping with... I think they might, as you say, surprise her with their support:)

Joanie

As someone involved in the HR area of a large company, I agree with this advice 100%. You don't want to lose your job over this. Make sure that your leave allows you to travel.

I am an HR manager and I agree that you must be very careful, you wouldn't want to risk losing your job over a vacation. Make sure that your employer is aware and supports you going, otherwise you will be coming back to a terrible situation. If you have a collective bargaining agreement or are presented by a union, make sure that your local knows and supports your decision. For some employers extended sick leaves are paid for by employers insurance company. If the insurance company felt it was being abused you could risk losing your insurance benefits.

My goodness! Can't believe the response to my posting. Thank you everybody. I woke up last night and stayed awake for a couple hours, thinking about all the ramifications. I went back to sleep, and woke up telling my husband, "We're not going". He was fine with it. Too many 'issues' to justify the trip. The therapeutic benefits would have been great, but I just let my gut be my guide and the choice was very clear. A night or two getaway, here and there, seems legit and more medically sound. Between therapy 3 days a week and appointments, we won't have to cancel out on anything and his rehab will progress nicely.

Thanks again everybody.

My goodness! Can't believe the response to my posting. Thank you everybody. I woke up last night and stayed awake for a couple hours, thinking about all the ramifications. I went back to sleep, and woke up telling my husband, "We're not going". He was fine with it. Too many 'issues' to justify the trip. The therapeutic benefits would have been great, but I just let my gut be my guide and the choice was very clear. A night or two getaway, here and there, seems legit and more medically sound. Between therapy 3 days a week and appointments, we won't have to cancel out on anything and his rehab will progress nicely.

Thanks again everybody.

I bet you will be in a better position (both physically, mentally/emotionally) to take that cruise and enjoy it EVEN MORE during next Summer's school vacation!

Good luck to your husband and his continued recovery! (Keep being an amazing (and brave) partner! :)

Thanks again everybody.

dcsam, for what it's worth, I think you made a good decision. With some of the money saved from your untaken cruise, maybe you find ways to make your life easier during your husband's recovery (like hiring a house cleaner for a few hours every week)...have a small party for family and friends to celebrate your husband's hard work in recovering...a few quiet dinners for just the two of you while planning your next cruise...I'm sure you can think of lots of other good things. :) Best wishes, -S.

Archived