Celebrity Says No to Captain's Club Savings Certificate

2Fltravelers

There is a Captain's Club Savings Certificate for our 2013 Wine Immersive Cruise on the Infinity. When my TA tried to confirm that we can use it she received conflicting information from what I was told by a Captain's Club rep. Our booking was a future cruise booking (FCC) onboard with Celebrity so we are getting an OBC but no cabin upgrade from Celebrity(we switched from a different sailing so we lost it and they reduced our OBC because it is a shorter cruise than before) then transferred it to our TA who is affiliated with Platinum American Express. We did not receive any promo from the TA -no OBC or cabin upgrade. Yet Celebrity is saying we cannot combine it:mad:.

Has anyone had any experience with this that they can share?:confused:

There was discussion some months ago about how american express OBC's are treated the same as celebrity OBC's so you can't combine them...perhaps some (undisclosed) arrangement between celebrity and AmEx. Not sure how it worked out.

We had that problem last year with combining the AmEx Platinum Credits and the Share Holder Benefit. It was a no-go! Celebrity seems to consider the AmEx Credits the same as Celebrity Credits and doesn't treat them as a TA.

So this year we switched to a different TA that gave about a 10% On-Board Credit, which was worth about 3x the AmEx Credits, and will be trying for the Share Holder Benefit again. (Sending Broker Statement on Monday so wish us luck! :rolleyes:

We had that problem last year with combining the AmEx Platinum Credits and the Share Holder Benefit. It was a no-go! Celebrity seems to consider the AmEx Credits the same as Celebrity Credits and doesn't treat them as a TA.

So this year we switched to a different TA that gave about a 10% On-Board Credit, which was worth about 3x the AmEx Credits, and will be trying for the Share Holder Benefit again. (Sending Broker Statement on Monday so wish us luck! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I have been a platinum cardholder for years but have no idea what AmEx credits are. Can you explain?:confused:

There was discussion some months ago about how american express OBC's are treated the same as celebrity OBC's so you can't combine them...perhaps some (undisclosed) arrangement between celebrity and AmEx. Not sure how it worked out.

Understand that you cant's double dip OBC but we are not getting an OBC from Am Ex-just Celebrity. Wonder what their problem is:confused:

With rare exception, you can not combine two or more OBC, coupons or certain other special discounts offered by Celebrity.

When a TA offered OBC sometimes there are under a promotion from/with Celebrity and sometimes they are purely funded by the TA. If it is at all funded by or with Celebrity then it can't be combined with another Celebrity OBC or discount, as above. If it is all from the TA then it can be combined. At least that is my understanding of how it works.

Celebrity is not alone in not permitting you to combine Celebrity OBC with American Express OBC since the American Express OBC actually comes from Celebrity as part of a marketing agreement. However, you should be given whichever OBC is higher. If you are receiving OBC from your TA, that is considered separate and should be combinable with either the Celebrity OBC or the American Express OBC.

We booked our next cruise with American Express Platinum. According to the Travel Counselor who booked our cruise, we will be getting $300 shipboard credit and 2 free specialty dining. That would be two more additional free specialty dining since we have booked Sky Suite and our cruise will be 12 nights.

Probably, you can check with AMEX Platinum what you can get with your cruise.

With rare exception, you can not combine two or more OBC, coupons or certain other special discounts offered by Celebrity.

When a TA offered OBC sometimes there are under a promotion from/with Celebrity and sometimes they are purely funded by the TA. If it is at all funded by or with Celebrity then it can't be combined with another Celebrity OBC or discount, as above. If it is all from the TA then it can be combined. At least that is my understanding of how it works.

Larry you are correct. All the more reason that it behooves us each to find a TA that is willing to "personally" take care of us for giving them our business separate from whatever Celebrity does. Took me a while to catch on to this, but once I did. . .

I do all the work in investigating. . .once I've made the decision, I allow a TA to have the booking. Takes them 5 minutes, so I expect a "commission" for allowing them my business. Plus, I know enough now to know what is available "out there." I would feel differently if I were high maintenance and took up a great deal of their time.

The standard AmEx Platinum benefit with Celebrity is stated as such:

• Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)
  • Complimentary dinner for two in one of the ship's specialty restaurants
  • Bottle of premium wine or champagne
  • Double Membership Rewards points

I just recently booked a Celebrity cruise with my TA and am getting both AmEx Platinum benefits AND rebate or OBC from her plus other perks.

Thank you all for your input. What I surmise from all of this is you can't combine a Celebrity perk with a Celebrity perk because that is what it is in my situation since I am not getting the OBc from my TA or Am Ex. Bottom line, as stated here, is that I need to find a TA that will give me more than what I get from either Celebrity or AmEx for my business. As I also do all the leg work then I will start my search. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I have been a platinum cardholder for years but have no idea what AmEx credits are. Can you explain?:confused:

From AmEx Site:

Cruise Privileges benefits aboard Celebrity:

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)

Complimentary dinner for two in one of the ship's specialty restaurants

Bottle of premium wine or champagne

Double Membership Rewards points (if you book on AmEx Travel Site)

But as others have stated, it appears to be a joint AmEx/Celebrity promotion so cannot be combined with any other Celebrity OBC. But, many TA's are willing to also offer an OBC of their own which seems to generally be combinable.

And depending on the cruise/cabin, the TA's Offer may be significantly more than the AmEx benefit. On our October cruise, the OBC was about $1,000 from the TA vs. the $300 plus dinner from AmEx.

It pays to shop around for the best TA offer, and don't be afraid to ask what they are willing to do! I remember on our first cruise we thought it was great to get a bottle of wine from the TA :eek:

If the certificate prohibits combining it with other offers then realistically they shouldn't do anything. I know many people call, and call, and call until they find anear that will try and appease them.

If the certificate allows it being combined with other offers, just hold your ground, and email one of the Celebrity senior managers SVP of Sales Dondra maybe

The 5 years I had the AMEX platinum card I was never able to figure out its benefit. The two for 1 business airfare rates were priced higher than just buying two business class seats, the hotel upgrades never appeared, nor did I see any cruise discounts or upgrades.

The one time I needed there help when all our luggage got lost in Jordan, they told me it was Air Frances problem not theirs (although we purchased the tickets through AMEX), after that I gave up with them

Savings Certificates T & C's

I still think it is because the Certificate is not combinable with the Passages OBC because my GF was denied when she tried to do that. See "Offer is not combinable with any other promotion or offer" I am assuming this means Celebrity's offers.

But then again it might be the Amex promotion:confused::D

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Savings are in U.S. dollars, are not redeemable for cash, and not transferable. Only valid on new booking. When booking, please reference

the applicable option code. Offer may be withdrawn at any time. THE OFFER CANNOT BE USED WITH CERTAIN RESTRICTED FARES OR ON CRUISES ON BOARD

CHARTERED SAILINGS. This certificate cannot be combined with another

certificate on the same booking. Applies only to outside and above categories (Cat. 8 and

above). Subject to availability. Offer is not combinable with any other promotion or offer. Celebrity Cruises® will deduct the applicable offer value from final payment

upon review. Certificate must be submitted to Celebrity Cruises PRIOR TO FINAL PAYMENT. Discount applies on a per-stateroom basis, double occupancy. Singles

paying 200% are entitled to full face value. Prices vary by ship and sailing dates, and space is subject to availability at time of booking. When booking through a travel

agency, the certificate must be presented to the travel agent at time of booking. Certificate must be submitted at time of final payment. Travel agent commission is

based on discounted price.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/captainsclub/savingsCertificates.do

From AmEx Site:

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)

But as others have stated, it appears to be a joint AmEx/Celebrity promotion so cannot be combined with any other Celebrity OBC. But, many TA's are willing to also offer an OBC of their own which seems to generally be combinable.

And depending on the cruise/cabin, the TA's Offer may be significantly more than the AmEx benefit. On our October cruise, the OBC was about $1,000 from the TA vs. the $300 plus dinner from AmEx.

It pays to shop around for the best TA offer, and don't be afraid to ask what they are willing to do! I remember on our first cruise we thought it was great to get a bottle of wine from the TA :eek:

Like to know what category /cruise you got a $1000 OBC:eek:

Amex does not give you the bonus because they are good hearted...the cruise line must participate in the development of the on board credit by subsidizing part of it and they do this for all the agency consortia. However, you do NOT have to use AMEX Travel Service to use your platinum card so you can "double dip" in a different manner. Celebrity will not give you their benefits and the benefits from a consortium...that is for sure. However, a travel agent is allowed to give you up to 10% of the cruise fare as a value added on amenity for RCCL and Celebrity. That is NOT subsidized by Celebrity. A competitive travel agent joins the Amex program. He then has you use your Platinum for your booking. He then gets the approval code from Amex. After that, he gives you an amenity worth 10% of the cruise fare. The is usually done as a gift in $25 multiples up to the 10% limit. This is used similar to an on board credit...but if you don't use, you don't lose it...it gets passed back to your card on file as it was a gift not subsidized by the cruise line. Hope this helps.

I just lost out on the new loyalty savings certificate because I have prepaid gratuities from an earlier promotion. My personal ethics to follow rules are more important than the $100.

From AmEx Site:

Its time to change my TA's....Need help here

Rich.

winstonsue@me.com

Its time to change my TA's....Need help here

Rich.

winstonsue@me.com

It is not necessarily time to change your travel agent unless he does not give you any on board amenities from his commission or great professional service. Remember this: in today's industry, the job of travel agent is not a glamorous high paying job with great benefits to cruise. There are many internet discount agencies (some are real discounters and others make you think only they have the huge discounted bargain)...so most T. A.'s are forced to give deals. However, keep in mind...when you work with many of the internet agencies...you are working with a call center agent who has never seen a cruise ship and probably lacks the product knowledge for traveling or service that hopefully your current agent gives you. So before you change agents, be prepared to lose what you should have as a travel agent: a highly trained, self-motivated travel professional who earns that difference as his commission. If he/she is highly trained and educated with a past personal history of cruising and LOVES to cruise as much or more than you and wants to provide you with the service to make certain that this cruise is the best one you will ever take until the next one, then you have a big surprise with the old adage that you get what you pay for in life when you leave them for price only.

Amex does not give you the bonus because they are good hearted...the cruise line must participate in the development of the on board credit by subsidizing part of it and they do this for all the agency consortia. However, you do NOT have to use AMEX Travel Service to use your platinum card so you can "double dip" in a different manner. Celebrity will not give you their benefits and the benefits from a consortium...that is for sure. However, a travel agent is allowed to give you up to 10% of the cruise fare as a value added on amenity for RCCL and Celebrity. That is NOT subsidized by Celebrity. A competitive travel agent joins the Amex program. He then has you use your Platinum for your booking. He then gets the approval code from Amex. After that, he gives you an amenity worth 10% of the cruise fare. The is usually done as a gift in $25 multiples up to the 10% limit. This is used similar to an on board credit...but if you don't use, you don't lose it...it gets passed back to your card on file as it was a gift not subsidized by the cruise line. Hope this helps.

I just lost out on the new loyalty savings certificate because I have prepaid gratuities from an earlier promotion. My personal ethics to follow rules are more important than the $100.

Thank you for so much pertinent and very useful information. I recently switched to a TA I like but I don't think will be giving me such gifts unless I specifically ask. I think on my next booking I will do some legwork and see if I can find one.

I certainly haven't cruised as much as some of you, but have learned that few TAs have the ability to keep up with price reductions, upgrade opportumities, special deals, etc. On a previous cruise I told our TA about a Celebrity upgrade opportunity, and asked her to call Celebrity. She responded to me that it wasn't available, but called anyway. After talking to them she called me back and told me "WE" were "LUCKY" "WE" got the deal.

This year her company's owner told me the cruise lines didn't sail to Mexico any more. I had already switched to a big box supplier for OBC, and will continue to do my own research and switch the booking to the big box supplier (TA) at the last minute for additional on board credit.

BTW, I am retired and can afford then time to research and keep track of my bookings. How can a TA keep track of all the various Celebrity discount opportunities and combinations? Here are a few:

1. On board bookings - discounts and upgrades

2. Captain's Club Offers

3. Captains Club Savings Certificates

4. Stockholder's Benefit

5. Best Price Guarantee

6. Standard Price Reductions

7. Standard Celebrity Promotions

- Choice Air Credits

- "Happy Hour" Specials

- etc.

I monitor all of these, and then pass the booking to a T/A for the additional OBC which is usually an additional 7-10%

Archived