Halloween on HAL (transatlantic)

Avril

Hi everyone!! :D I'm sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam on her transatlantic crossing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on October 29th, can't wait!! :D :D I was just wondering, as the cruise will be over Halloween, does HAL do anything special for Halloween (such as a party, costume contest, etc) and do people dress up for Halloween onboard? I think it would be fun :D but I don't want to be the only one and feel like a dork!! :o

Thanks!!!! :D

Did the NA TA in 2010. As I recall only a few guests dressed up and the ship treated it as low key event. There may have been a costume contest held in Northern Lights that night.

You won't be a "dork", but you will be in the minority.

Did the NA TA in 2010. As I recall only a few guests dressed up and the ship treated it as low key event. There may have been a costume contest held in Northern Lights that night.

You won't be a "dork", but you will be in the minority.

Thanks!! :D Minority is fine, I just don't want to be the only one!!

i hesitate to post this, because my halloween TA was back in 2007. more than a few of the passengers dressed up. quite a few of the crew did, also (and they really seemed to enjoy it). there were some special decorations and a costume contest.

I was on the NA - TA last October/November and yes, Halloween was celebrated. Some passengers dressed for the occasion and a party was held on the mid Lido deck. It looked like those attending had an enjoyable time!!

It can be hit or miss -- depends on the captain, hotel manager and cruise director as to how much they want to do on the ship.

We have been ships when Halloween was barely celebrated while on other ships -- lots of decorations at the entrance to the dining room and in the Crows Nest or Northern Lights -- depends on class of ship. Some people wore costumes -- there was a dance around 10 PM -- a couple of prizes were given out.

Thanks everyone!! :D I think I will bring something but may wander the ship a bit in the early evening and see what I see. If some people are dressed up, then I'll go for it, if not, I'll dress as I normally would for dinner!! I think the Vista and Signature Classes are geared more toward the fun side so I'm thinking (hoping) at least some people will get into the spirit!!!! :D

Sent from my iPad

Avril - On a trans-Atlantic, you're gonna get a more mature, sedate group of passengers. Generally, these are the folks who have the leisure time to take 2-3 weeks during the school year to vacay. At least, that's what we found on Noordam's TA last fall. We're mid-40s & it's very hard for him to take vacay during the summer; it's also easier on his guys if he takes one big chunk of time-off instead of several smaller periods.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays (it's also my b-day :D). The crew & entertainment staff dressed up. A few pax wore costumes, but not many. I wore a black dress & sparkly skeleton earrings the husband had given me.

Since you have to fly across the pond, you might want to just take something that hints at a costume - how about a headband with ears & a belt with a tail? Wear those with a black fitted top & black skinny jeans. Use makeup to create a cat-like look & poof - there's your costume for the evening. :)

I must admit that the most disappointing "holiday" that wasn't really celebrated was on Noordam's inaugural cruise back in Feb 2006 - Mardi Gras. We had the fabulous DJ Jazzy in Northern Lights - OMG he was so disappointed that the place was a graveyard that night. :( I wore a purple dress, brought my beads & a small, pretty mask with feathers. Felt like the only one, but didn't care.

Enjoy your TA on NA. :)

I would assume this applies to TransPacific, also? I've been wondering the same. I will at least be wearing black, have a spider necklace and earrings. MIGHT wear a witch's hat if I see others dressed up. I love Halloween and am sad that I won't be home to decorate and handout to trick-or-treaters and my grandkids.

Archived