Seattle question

kayrob

We'll be staying at Doubletree Southcenter this Saturday night before a Sunday cruise. We won't be getting to the hotel until around 5:00 p.m. I have 2 questions:

We would like to see the space needle - we don't have to necessarily go inside, I would just like to see it. Could someone please tell me the best way to get there from the hotel and the approximate cost - there will be 5 adults.

Also, could someone please suggest a medium priced restaurant near the space needle - nothing fancy - could be like a Friday's type of place.

Thanks so much - as you can tell, I've never been to Seattle!

Please keep in mind that it's Bumbershoot at the Seattle Center so lots of crowds this weekend. This is Gardyloo's earlier post about it.

<<Bumbershoot, one of the biggest music and arts festivals in the country. Come and join 250,000 of your best new friends. http://bumbershoot.org/ >>

Anyway, as for getting into Seattle Sat night you could take a taxi or towncar service. Probably $50-$60 each way. (Or check with flatrateforhire that DanG mentioned earlier today to see if they have a car for 5 adults). After seeing the Space Needle you could take the monorail downtown to Westlake Center where there are many restaurant options to choose from.

Another thought .... why not do your sightseeing on Sunday morning instead of rushing to board the ship? You're sailing from Pier 66 right? Check your luggage onto the ship, then take a cab to the seattle center.($15 ) Wander around, then take the monorail from the Seatle Center to Westlake Center in the downtown core ( 3 minute ride), then walk 3 blocks to Pike Place Market wander around then walk or taxi to the ship.

http://www.seattlemonorail.com/information/

We'll be staying at Doubletree Southcenter this Saturday night before a Sunday cruise. We won't be getting to the hotel until around 5:00 p.m. I have 2 questions:

We would like to see the space needle - we don't have to necessarily go inside, I would just like to see it. Could someone please tell me the best way to get there from the hotel and the approximate cost - there will be 5 adults.

Also, could someone please suggest a medium priced restaurant near the space needle - nothing fancy - could be like a Friday's type of place.

Thanks so much - as you can tell, I've never been to Seattle!

Does the Doubletree have a shuttle to SeaTac? Their website says "local area transportation" so it sounds like they might. If so, you can take the shuttle back to the airport, take the Link light rail up to the Westlake station in Seattle, then take the monorail from Westlake Center out to Seattle Center. That would be cheaper than a taxi or a towncar.

As Mapleleaves pointed out, it is Bumbershoot this weekend and Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is), will be absolutely mobbed.

If you just want to see the Needle, you will be able to see it from your ship.

Thank you both for your suggestions - I didn't realize that I'd be able to see the needle from the ship. Good to know in case there's just too much congestion from the music festival. Sounds like a fun weekend for Seattle natives!

zephyr, Light Rail was my first thought too, but for 5 people i wondered if the savings was worth the hassle. $2.75 pp for light rail, $2.50pp for monorail so $26 total. Maybe light rail in, towncar home ??

And then I thought it would be a fun to visit the market and the Space Needle on Sunday morning. It would be a much nicer way to spend 3-4 hrs rather than boarding the ship right away.

There are lots of dining options around Southcenter for Sat night.

They've got a couple of options to consider. Better than none!

for sure take lt rail downtown. The Doubletree is actually at a large mall and very good place to stay. They will shuttle you to the Tukwila light rail station and take the train to Westlake. When you get off the monorail is on the top floor of Westlake Ctr mall. Its only $1 for seniors on the monorail. At the space needle you can also see the Chihuly Glass musuem. Because Bumbershoot is one of the few festivals that chgs admission to the grounds it will be difficult to eat there. We don't have any chain type places downtown but you could go to the Spaghetti Factory on Broad street down the hill from the Space Needle.

For five people you may try flat rate for hire however I doubt they have many cars that can hold 5. If they do that would be my first choice, lt rail being perhaps the next best. Ask your front desk as Seattle Shuttle which also does the cruise transfers, in the past offered transport to the Pike Place Mkt. Since these shuttle chg pp sometimes getting your own transport may be chepaer especially with 5.

Archived