Port Kelang something different please?

seahappy08

Port Kelang

I am on the Celebrity Millennium in January 2013 and as yet I cannot decide what to do at this port as there is nothing of great interest to me having been to Asia before and also being BTB, but on the World Cruise site for Cunard there is mention of a non- profit making visit to a local Children's home at Klang. If anyone has been or knows any more information about this visit please post it? I will go on other the websites and try and find out more as it would make a change from temples etc. I will try and organise a group to go if possible, there are few details on the site but the tour takes about 5 Hours. Thanks for any help.

Lynda

There are not many things to do in this port.Most people take advantage of a day out in KL .Which is worth doing if you have not visited KL.Plenty of options to do this.The other option is to take a taxi to the local mall.

Following is based on my observations of having lived in KL 1996-2000. We'll actually be going back in Feb. '13.

There's NOTHING at Port Klang. The capital, Kuala Lumpur (KL), is approx. 1 hr. away driving (traffic is awful) and a local train takes about the same time. Check your ship's excursions or a roll call of your ship for any planned trips by CC folks.

Most excursions will include a drive by the city's sites: Petronas Tower (was the world's tallest bldg). Very nice shopping complex KLCC (lovely performing arts theater). There's a sky bridge that one can now pay for a view. Drive by the Presidential palace (the 7 sultans of the different Malaysia states take a turn at being President every 5 yrs. or so) -- sometimes buses will stop so photos can be taken. There are a few museums of interest but most day tours don't stop at 'em. There's the butterfly park and bird park almost opposite each other. Some other shopping malls, Selangor pewter factory (can shop afterwards). China Town's Central Market (very congested area but there's lots of shops). Be prepared to bargain -- watch for pickpockets and purse snatchings. Just carry the bare essentials with you. Only use credit cards in established businesses.

Almost anything "old" has been torn down to make way for new. The telecommunications tower (Menara Tower ?) also had an observation area.

The food is excellent -- 3 cultures: Malay; Indian; Chinese. MANY people speak English.

Dress modestly and be prepared for heat/humidity. Take an umbrella!

hello seahappy08

we have been to kl by plane,and took a day trip to port klang,and yes there is not much their,but part of our tour was a boat trip from port klang to crab island (pulua ketam) and it was really a great eye opener.from memory it was about $20.00 aus per person and that included a freshly cooked lunch the whole thing took about 4 hours to do from port clang, so ask around once you get of the ship. the whole towm is built on stilts,and you have to be born their to be allowed to own any property,lovely people and you get to go into a normal house as they go about their daily lives,it is really worth the money.

if you don't want to do that, see the blue moscue (one of the biggest domes on the planet),or do both, you will have time.

enjoy

• 3 months later...

Hi did you manage to determine something interesting to do ? I am travelling on 6th Jan on Millenium ? - I am also templed out !! would be interesting in visiting the childrens home - thanks

Port Kelang

I am on the Celebrity Millennium in January 2013 and as yet I cannot decide what to do at this port as there is nothing of great interest to me having been to Asia before and also being BTB, but on the World Cruise site for Cunard there is mention of a non- profit making visit to a local Children's home at Klang. If anyone has been or knows any more information about this visit please post it? I will go on other the websites and try and find out more as it would make a change from temples etc. I will try and organise a group to go if possible, there are few details on the site but the tour takes about 5 Hours. Thanks for any help.

Lynda

Hi did you manage to determine something interesting to do ? I am travelling on 6th Jan on Millenium ? - I am also templed out !! would be interesting in visiting the childrens home - thanks

No went on a web site and was given a contact e mail address but got no reply might try Crab Island KL sounds like a poor Singapore and my husband hates shopping. Thanks everyone!

Lynda:confused:

Archived