Best Way to Get to Rialto Bridge from Airport?

bzv143

We will be staying at the Hotel Grand Canal, located near the Rialto Bridge. We arrive via air from Frankfurt, Germany, at 5:30 p.m. What is the best way to get to our hotel from the airport--the most hassle-free, since we will be quite tired? :o

Thanks!

We will be staying at the Hotel Grand Canal, located near the Rialto Bridge. We arrive via air from Frankfurt, Germany, at 5:30 p.m. What is the best way to get to our hotel from the airport--the most hassle-free, since we will be quite tired? :o

Thanks!

Take the bus to Pizzale Roma. And then either walk or take the water taxi to the Hotel. Its right by the area that the bus stops at.

Thanks, Softail. But, is it easy to get a bus from Baggage Claim, and does everyone speak English well enough to direct us to the bus that makes a stop at the Pizalle Roma?

Would it not be quicker to get a water taxi (although I hear pricing is exhorbitant, about $70) directly from the airport? We do not relish wheeling suitcases through Venice alleys and over bridges to get to the hotel after flying for over 24 hours. :(

Water taxi is EUR 100 or around USD 120.

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/

And it's a walk (~2-300m) to the pier for that and the Alilaguna airport water bus (slightly cheaper but slow).

Bus is right outside (no. 5) and the terminus is where most of the vaporetto hub at. You want the 1 or 2, but make sure the boat is heading toward your left as you face the canal. The line 1 is towards Lido.

The most hassle-free is to simply take a water taxi from the airport to your hotel dock. As others have said, you will pay about 100 Euros...but if you can afford the money the water taxis are a neat way to travel. Otherwise you could take the relatively luxurious ATVO bus from the airport to the Piazale Roma. At that point you can walk over to the ACTV (vaporetto) docks and take the #1 or #2 vaporetto to the Rialto stop from where you would have to walk to your hotel. Of course you would be dragging your luggage throughout this process. There is not a lot of advantage to taking a bus to the P. Roma and then getting a water taxi since you would pay nearly as much for that water taxi for the relatively short ride as you would have from the airport.

Hank

Thanks!

OK. There is some questionable advice so far.

Firstly, the Hotel Canal Grande is not that close to the Rialto bridge. It's closer to Piazzal de Roma, the train station and the Ponte Scalzi. The nearest vaporetto stop is Riva de Biasio. Rialto and St. mark's are close enough to walk to after you are rested.

http://www.hotelcanalgrande.it/index.asp

You asked for the least hassle. As you leave the baggage area, stop at the water taxi desk. (no need to book in advance). The guy at the desk will phone a taxi on his telefonnino and give you a slip with the number of the taxi which will meet you at the dock. As you exit, turn left and follow the signs for the water taxi dock. The walk is 550 yards. ( a short par 5} It is level and covered. Figure 6 minutes. No worse than the parking lot at many airports.

From the dock, you get a very pleasant, limo like ride into Venice. The hotel has its' own dock at the front door. Water taxi is the only way to go when you are tired and stressed. Everyone speaks enough English in Venice. Just go easy on the Texas accent.

Not sure if you have been to Venice before, but the water taxi although a bit of a splurge is really a wonderful way to arrive, especially after a long flight. You can easily do bus, vaporetto and it is just fine and not hard however you will be lugging luggage and making connections. Enjoy the water taxi from the airport.....the description of arriving by limo gives you an idea of the difference.

OK. There is some questionable advice so far.

Firstly, the Hotel Canal Grande is not that close to the Rialto bridge. It's closer to Piazzal de Roma, the train station and the Ponte Scalzi. The nearest vaporetto stop is Riva de Biasio. Rialto and St. mark's are close enough to walk to after you are rested.

http://www.hotelcanalgrande.it/index.asp

LOL. My previous advice was based on the OPs own info (guess that was a mistake). Not sure why the OP thinks their hotel is near the Rialto Bridge but they will be in for a surprise. My advice is pretty much the same except if they want to take the ATVO bus to the P. Roma and do not want to walk they can then take the #1 Vaporetto (in the direction of Rialto which is towards your right as you look out at the Grand Canale) and get off at the 2nd stop (the one right after the train station).

And we do agree that the water taxis are fun and special....and also quite expensive.

Hank

P.S. We would advise the OP to look at a map of Venice that shows their hotel so they have an idea of its real location. Trying to find that hotel "near the Rialto Bridge" will have them looking until next year :)

The most hassle-free way is to take a water taxi to your hotel from the airport. I would do this because if you go to Piazzale Roma - you will get a water taxi and they will still charge you a minimum of 90 Euros for a much shorter distance.

I would get one from the airport. I will should cost about 100 Euros. Get a price upfront so you know what to expect in advance.

The First time I went to Venice, I arrived by train. My son had a sinus infection and it had been a long day for him by the time we arrived in Venice. So being the doting mother that I am- I decided to use a water taxi which took us to the hotel (some have a boat ramp next to the lobby) Bauer. In our case we did a water taxi down the Basin because the driver said it would be faster. It was fantastic.

In your case you'll be coming from the airport and the water taxi driver will be able to weave through the canals making it a fast and interesting ride from the airport.

I've been to Venice 6 times now and I only did the water taxi on the first visit but I'm glad I did- everyone should do it once and it is a great way to arrive in Venice. Splurge on this- and save on other things. You must ask for a price in advance. They'll say, you want to go the fast way or the slow way- which means- up the Grand Canal.

Archived