BREAKAWAY - Peter Max design revealed!!!

tokidoki

I was doing a search for something and ran across this persons interpretation of the new rendering. I found it interesting and a good point.

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/09/06/why-i-love-norwegian-breakaways-hull-art/

Thanks for posting the link, mitsugirly. I like the Avid Cruiser's point, and I hope he's right that the hull art will be less prominent on the actual ship. I think he's also right that the work may benefit from the contours of the hull. (Although I still wonder mightily about the actual content/composition of the mural.) I think folks have been so passionate because they want this ship to succeed and be a smashing success on all levels. I have calmed down enough to adopt a wait-and-see attitude as well, and I will certainly sail the Breakaway to Bermuda, hopefully in 2014.:)

I guess this explains why so many people see it as cartoonish and like something a child would paint. :)

"Max says that when designing the hull of Norwegian Breakaway, he channeled his inner child to create a playful original piece that represents his past, his passions and New York City"

I guess this explains why so many people see it as cartoonish and like something a child would paint. :)

"Max says that when designing the hull of Norwegian Breakaway, he channeled his inner child to create a playful original piece that represents his past, his passions and New York City"

That or he gave a seven-year old a seven dollar clip-art program and used the results.

That or NCL's been reading this post which predates the article and had their marketing gurus spin a likely story to counter. Peter Max is known for his marketing prowess as well.

...I think folks have been so passionate because they want this ship to succeed and be a smashing success on all levels...

Agree that many want Breakaway to be a big success and are giving the hull art a healthy dose of criticism and reality check.

I think the artist renderings of the venues, cabins, are beautiful, modern and lavish, and the ship has such beautiful flowing lines, that the childish hull art is a striking contrast to an otherwise modern and sophisticated ship design.

I like how some people, including me, say they will sail Breakaway no matter what the hull art. I argue the converse that people will not sail Breakaway just because of the hull art, and may instead dismiss NCL for being puerile without looking beyond the surface. "First impressions..." and all that.

I think the artist renderings of the venues, cabins, are beautiful, modern and lavish, and the ship has such beautiful flowing lines, that the childish hull art is a striking contrast to an otherwise modern and sophisticated ship design.

I argue the converse that people will not sail Breakaway just because of the hull art, and may instead dismiss NCL for being puerile without looking beyond the surface. "First impressions..." and all that.

Exactly how I feel, she looks so beautiful inside with an off putting exterior. When the info first started coming out about this ship DH and I said this may be the one we try NCL with. I know it sounds silly but the hull art makes me think a bit about that. I know one thing for sure if we do sail on her I won't be taking my usual endless array of exterior photos.

original feeling was "meh". Now sitting back and thinking about it here are my thought questions.

1) Is the mirror image going to be on the opposite side of the ship?

2) I actually like "most" of the artwork, but what is up with the Sun and stars. I think its just a bit much. Something more grounded in New York would have been better say a big apple! Get it.

Anyway, those are my two thoughts/cents.

What do you think?

Looking forward to people telling me if I think I can do better to submit my own work! :)

So this is what I missed while cruising. :D

come on, it's not that bad. it's just Peter Max's usual stroking style is too splashy to make a practical hull mural so he couldn't use his best. Britto's art would be a more practical choice. Clean lines will make the necessary frequent repaints much easier.

Picture your dream car... a Ferrari, a Porsche, Lexus, what have you. These cars are beautiful in their design... the shape, the lines, the interior, the features. These companies don't need to slap [sTRIKETHROUGH]a child's drawing[/sTRIKETHROUGH] correction... childhood inspired artwork on the side to convince people that the vehicle is fresh and innovative. On the other hand, ad companies will paint a car bumper-to-bumper to sell something other than cars. No surprise NCL sells Peter Max paintings.

Heck, picture your own car. I wonder how many people like Peter Max's design enough to paint their own car with it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm kinda in agreeance (is that a word? :p) with this. The more I see it, the more I'm starting to like it a little more. :cool:

norwegianbreakawayrockettes.jpg

I tell myself that we are all too old fashioned and like traditional hull art. This is the wave of the future. Soon all ships will look like this.

This is what your kids would tell you anyway ;)

I'm kinda in agreeance (is that a word? :p) with this. The more I see it, the more I'm starting to like it a little more. :cool:

norwegianbreakawayrockettes.jpg

I'm in agreement too....THOUGH....I will say.... it's a bit smaller than I expected.

:cool::eek:;)

Stephen

Archived