Has there been any recent cruises that port Alexandria or Ashdod

stickey614

I've been reading about tours and sites to see, recommendations, transportation, taxis, prices, etc

But has anyone been on a cruise porting in these cities recently?

It seems like between March or April 2012 and August 2012 alot posts indicate that these ports were cancelled and rerouted (Egypt not so much Israel).

Can anyone give a review of recent experiences they had, dates, and what ship they were on? Any specific excursions they booked with the cruiseline?

Thanks

Keep in mind that not many ships have EVER called on Egypt during the summer -- for good reason. It is hot as blazes. The Egypt tour season really doesn't get underway until the fall, and winter is prime time.

That said, I know that a very few ships had a couple of calls in Egypt over the past half year. A few rerouted their ships well in advance of sailing, one did not make their scheduled call (IIRC) due to timing: they were due to be in port the day after Egypt's latest elections. And a few made their scheduled call with no problems.

Given the low total number of scheduled stops in the past few months, you're probably going to have difficulty locating someone here who actually was onboard....

I know Princess is still calling in Egypt. I believe Royal Caribbean cancelled all their stops in Egypt. I don't know for sure about other lines.

My wife and I are booked on the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas October 2012 that call on Alexandria, Egypt (overnight stay) and Ashdod, Israel (also overnight stay).

It was hard enough making the decision whether to book the trip or not. Now that we are booked, we are planning in advance for excursion/private tours, hotel stays etc.

Should I make back up plans?

Royal Caribbean did not mention anything YET* about cancelling this port of call.

I might not have even considered this cruise if it wasn't for Egypt.

Anyone else have any info on these ports ?

My wife and I are booked on the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas October 2012 that call on Alexandria, Egypt (overnight stay) and Ashdod, Israel (also overnight stay).

It was hard enough making the decision whether to book the trip or not. Now that we are booked, we are planning in advance for excursion/private tours, hotel stays etc.

Should I make back up plans?

Royal Caribbean did not mention anything YET* about cancelling this port of call.

I might not have even considered this cruise if it wasn't for Egypt.

Anyone else have any info on these ports ?

Things appear to be relatively quiet in the region right now. We're also on a fall cruise in the area. Booked it knowing that the cruise could turn into a Greek Isle/Istanbul at last minute. But, going full steam ahead planning the Plan A's in Egypt and Israel! Remember last year was the year of the Arab Spring, so there was much unrest. Nothing much going on now - so they haven't changed itineraries.

Last year, NCL repositioned the Jade to Western Europe, so they cancelled the late fall and winter cruises to the area - well in advance. Knew once we made it past June there would be no way they could do this again - there would be no way to fill the ship on such late notice.

I eventually would like to visit Turkey and Greece. Maybe next year.

But we have our hopes and plans on Egypt and Israel.

Making plans for tours and sites to see is hard enough, don't want to have to do research and make back up plans in the event we end up in Turkey and/or Greece..... thats alot of planning!!

Given the current events in the news with Gaza (a couple missles fired) in addition to Ehud Barak & Benjamin Netanyahu threats to attack Iran, does anyone think cancellation of port of Ashdod is possible?

(I know I worry too much; who knows whats going to happen next...)

I eventually would like to visit Turkey and Greece. Maybe next year.

But we have our hopes and plans on Egypt and Israel.

Making plans for tours and sites to see is hard enough, don't want to have to do research and make back up plans in the event we end up in Turkey and/or Greece..... thats alot of planning!!

Given the current events in the news with Gaza (a couple missles fired) in addition to Ehud Barak & Benjamin Netanyahu threats to attack Iran, does anyone think cancellation of port of Ashdod is possible?

(I know I worry too much; who knows whats going to happen next...)

Anything is possible.

It is unlikely any tour you take will be anywhere near Gaza

Very true, we want to go to Old City Jerusalem, Western Wall, Mount Olives, and Dead Sea (none in the same direction of Gaza).

As far as proximity, Ashdod is the closest I hope to be in proximity to an active military zone.

(Ashdod is only 20 miles or 33km away from Gaza)

And towns such Ashkelon (10 miles outside of Gaza) and Sderot (9 miles outside of Gaza) are "protected" with antiballistic systems called Iron Dome.

I don't want to worry & I want to enjoy my vacation, I just have to be mindful of my surrounding and proximity to potential danger.

Very true, we want to go to Old City Jerusalem, Western Wall, Mount Olives, and Dead Sea (none in the same direction of Gaza).

As far as proximity, Ashdod is the closest I hope to be in proximity to an active military zone.

And towns such Ashkelon (10 miles outside of Gaza) and Sderot (9 miles outside of Gaza) are "protected" with antiballistic systems called Iron Dome.

I don't want to worry & I want to enjoy my vacation, I just have to be mindful of my surrounding and proximity to potential danger.

Israel isn't a large country. There have been a few occasions when Ashdod was not deemed safe for ships to call due to rockets fired or other similar things. What most ships do in such cases is to spend an extra night at the more northern Israel port, Haifa. (Most ships call on both Haifa and Ashdod, not sure about your itinerary.) Haifa seems to be out of harm's way and you can still get to Jerusalem from Haifa and back in a day, albeit a somewhat longer day.

You say you do not want to worry, but it sounds like you already are. Anything can happen on cruise ships calling on any port. I've been reading these boards long enough to have seen ports cancelled due to weather, strikes, political issues, and even ship engine problems. If Egypt and/or Israel are dealbreakers for you, perhaps a land tour would be a better bet.

As Cruisemom said, Ashdod appeared to be cancelled more than a few times and the ships stayed in Haifa. Just have a plan B in place if that's the case. If you are using excursions they'll find a way to get you back and forth from Haifa. We're planning to take bus/train to Jerusalem, spend night then taxi to Ashdod. But we have a plan B if Ashdod is closed, just reversing what we did the first day and leaving a little earlier.

Keep in mind that not many ships have EVER called on Egypt during the summer -- for good reason. It is hot as blazes.

I know Princess is still calling in Egypt. I believe Royal Caribbean cancelled all their stops in Egypt. I don't know for sure about other lines.

cruisemom, where to u get info re: royal cx all egypt ? i have been looking for some info but even when i called they didn't have any change in itinerary. do you also know of substitution ports ? tyvm for your info.

Another post claims that Royal Caribbean officially cancelled the Alexandria, Egypt port of call.

This is true. I saw the notice on their website last night. They're monitoring the situation for the October Celebrity sailing. We are scheduled to stop in Egypt in November on NCL and I'm closely watching the situation.

Archived