For those who arrive in LAX the day before the ATN flight ...

suometar

How do you spend the day? I'd like to fly to LAX the day before our flight to break up the trip and (more importantly) make sure that we don't miss the ATN flight due to flight delays, etc. Obviously I need to book a hotel, but since check-out is usually araound 11 AM, my question is: what to do the rest of the day? Our ATN flight is scheduled to depart at 11:30 PM.

How do you spend the day? I'd like to fly to LAX the day before our flight to break up the trip and (more importantly) make sure that we don't miss the ATN flight due to flight delays, etc. Obviously I need to book a hotel, but since check-out is usually araound 11 AM, my question is: what to do the rest of the day? Our ATN flight is scheduled to depart at 11:30 PM.

I would post this question on the West Coast board.

Check with the hotel at LAX . Some have late checkout for people that fly at strange hours . The LAX Marriott has a lot of flight crews staying there coming and going at weird hours. You could arrange a tour of Los Angeles .

One approach would be to pick a hotel in a relatively nearby beach community, such as Santa Monica (nice pier, good shopping)), Venice or Manhattan Beach (the closest). Even if you have to check out of your room in the morning, the hotel will store your bags. Then you can sightsee, shop, lie at the beach, etc., have a nice dinner, and take a cab or airport shuttle to LAX.

If you would prefer to be very close to LAX, stay at the El Segundo Hilton Garden Inn, which gets good reviews on TripAdvisor. After you check out and store your luggage, you can take the hotel's free shuttle to Manhattan Beach or go to the train station next door and do some sightseeing even further away. However, have dinner out while you are sightseeing, because there isn't much in the way of restaurant choices near the Hilton. The Hilton has free shuttle service from and to LAX.

There is lots of things you can do to fill up your time in Los Angeles. My suggestion is to look up Trip Advisor for some ideas.

Things that I like to do:

Getty Museum

La Brea Tar Pits

Santa Monica Pier

Laguna Beach

Hollywood

Venice Beach :eek:

Tour the Queen Mary Ship in Long Beach

There is so much more, have fun...

We answered it by staying at the Marriott Renaissance LAX, free shuttle and a later check out than some as well as they said if not busy they would extend. Also you can pay $99 for the room for the entire day plus they have an onsite full dining room as I did not want to wander around to have some fast food before a long flight. They have a pool and gym. Price was very good.

That most of the hotels around LAX are a bit worn & dated, even the ones with international names. A $125 - $150 room can be a bit of a disapointment even with a big name :eek:

Frankly LA is a bit of an arm pit. My father was born at LA General, I was born at Daniel Freeman in Inglewood so I know LA, I spend as lttle time as possible in the LA basin.

There are a few places close to LAX that are OK. Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach Santa Monica and Palos Verdes are OK, the rest is ???

Now if you like the 'circus' Venice Beach & Hollywood are ......... ah ...... OK but it isn't for me

Further you have Malibu to the north & places like Laguna beach going south ........ nice!

That most of the hotels around LAX are a bit worn & dated, even the ones with international names. A $125 - $150 room can be a bit of a disapointment even with a big name :eek:

Frankly LA is a bit of an arm pit. My father was born at LA General, I was born at Daniel Freeman in Inglewood so I know LA, I spend as lttle time as possible in the LA basin.

There are a few places close to LAX that are OK. Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach Santa Monica and Palos Verdes are OK, the rest is ???

Now if you like the 'circus' Venice Beach & Hollywood are ......... ah ...... OK but it isn't for me

Further you have Malibu to the north & places like Laguna beach going south ........ nice!

The Hilton at LAX was refurbished about a year ago, it's very nice, has a free shuttle, and long term parking.

I completely agree that Inglewood is the pits, and you must have an open mind to enjoy Hollywood, and Venice, do a little research you might find something that interests you.

Have a great trip!

Cant review it yet, but we decided to stay at the JW Marriott in Santa Monica. My DH has Marriott status, so Marriott is the way we go. Weve been warned this is not JW, like youd expect, but I've never been to SM and DH says ( Like Tiki) that it has to be " experienced" :eek: Plus with all that flying I wanted a place where I could get up in the AM and walk, and in lots of LA, I hear that's just not "done".

We are still searching for a plan for a day room between our double red eyes, so thanks Trend for the Marriott suggestion there- we may just plan that. I don't care how "tired" the hotel is, I'll be too tired myself to care;)

Please, Tiki. Spare me. As a Los Angeleno born and raised, I live happily in one of the most diverse cities in the country. I notice the areas of LA you give your Tiki stamp of approval to are where primarily white folks live, which is an anomaly in this majority brown/Asian/black city. As the focal point for immigration in the past 30 years, especially from the Pacific Rim, LA is home to many, many people of divergent cultures and backgrounds. The Northeast areas of the City are primarily Latino and Asian - ethnic food of every description. The Middle of the City is a bit of everything - from Koreatown to areas where you would swear you were in Central America.

Yes, the Westside has lots of rich and near rich white people = from Beverly Hills and Pacific Palisades, down to Palos Verdes, as you mentioned. That does not make the rest of the city untouchable, or an "armpit". I LOVE spending time in my city, from concerts at the Hollywood Bowl to Disney Hall, to dining out at ethnic restaurants with fine cuisine.

This is the 21st Century Tiki - in case you haven't noticed, we are in a Global culture, and white people are a minority in many US world-class cities. Get with the program. :rolleyes:

As I wrote previously, I think Santa Monica is worth a visit. However I have not stayed at the Marriot in Santa Monica so I Googled it.

It is very well located -- near the beach and famous Santa Monica Pier and the Third Street Promenade (a popular area with shopping and restaurants).

However, just so you know, the hotel's website states that it does not provide LAX shuttle service. It estimates that the distance is 9 miles and the taxi fare is $35 one way.

not even going to go down that rabbit hole.

Oh what the heck.

FYI, much of LA resembles a 3rd world country, no longer would I call it a member of "US world-class cities."

MY father who went to Fairfax High School in the early 40's would now get mugged if he was in that neighborhood after dusk. Same could be said about Inglewood where I was born, you just don't walk after dusk in much of that area. This was not true a generation or two ago.

Much of the city is now controlled by gangs of all ethnic backgrounds. There isn't a night that goes by without multi shootings/murder going on.

Open you eyes Sue, much of your city is not a nice place to hang out, yes there are a few exceptions but not many and as a tourist you just don't know where you can go and what is 'off limits' thus it is better to thell them to stay out of most of LA.

BTW, all of my grand kids are half Asian, 3 of my nieces are half Asian, 1 is half African American. 2 of my nephews are half African American. My soon to be step grand kids are half Latino .......... my eyes are fully opened to the racial makup of the 21st century ;)

Archived