Embarcation time

margbem

I have read on here that Seabourn changed the embarcation time to 12.30pm or noon - can't remember exactly. Our docs state 2pm but we have to leave our rental apartment in Nice at 10.30am and our journey by private transfer will only take about 45 mins.

Does anyone know whether we will be able to board or will we have to leave our luggage at the check in area in Monte Carlo and go off til later? Indeed, will we be able to leave our luggage there? If not, we will be sitting on it for a while looking fairly silly!

Thanks to anyone who has boarded lately since the time allegedly changed and can advise.

I have read on here that Seabourn changed the embarcation time to 12.30pm or noon - can't remember exactly. Our docs state 2pm but we have to leave our rental apartment in Nice at 10.30am and our journey by private transfer will only take about 45 mins.

Does anyone know whether we will be able to board or will we have to leave our luggage at the check in area in Monte Carlo and go off til later? Indeed, will we be able to leave our luggage there? If not, we will be sitting on it for a while looking fairly silly!

Thanks to anyone who has boarded lately since the time allegedly changed and can advise.

Yes embarkation is now at 12:30pm or sometimes even sooner if the Hotman sees there are a lot of "early birds" at check-in waiting around. I would head out and check-out of your apartment at 10:30am and leisurely make your way to Monte Carlo and arrive around 12:00 noon or so and fill out your health form etc. and maybe you might have to wait 30 minutes top. You'll be able to at least check-in your luggage.

Yes embarkation is now at 12:30pm or sometimes even sooner if the Hotman sees there are a lot of "early birds" at check-in waiting around. I would head out and check-out of your apartment at 10:30am and leisurely make your way to Monte Carlo and arrive around 12:00 noon or so and fill out your health form etc. and maybe you might have to wait 30 minutes top. You'll be able to at least check-in your luggage.

We embark in Venice in just 21 days :D (yeah!!!!!). But I think I will prefer to have a leisurely lunch and show up at around 2.30pm.

We just finished a Venice to Venice cruise on Spirit, which was delightful. The original cruise documents said boarding was 2 p.m., and seemed firm in recommending you not arrive early. I asked my travel agent to double check, and she reported back that 2 p.m. meant 2 p.m. Seeing the crowds in Venice, we wanted to avoid any last minute snafu, so we left plenty of time for the water bus trip to San Basilio. We arrived there about noon. We were told by a ship staffer to check our luggage and board at 1 p.m. So, with the luggage gone, we walked around the nearby canals for an hour, which was very pleasant. There were sidewalk cafes where we could have had coffee or a beverage and killed several hours if need be. Or we could have sat in the terminal, which wouldn't have been unpleasant. We boarded just after 1 p.m., and other passengers were ahead of us. We didn't get into our cabin until about 2 p.m., but we were given snacks and drinks in the ship lounge. My impression from this and other cruises is that the boarding times depend very much on "circumstances." LittleRedJohn

We have boarded a couple of times in Monte Carlo, on to the small ships, and personally being a bit older and/or lazy, we have tended to arrive at the embarkation place - not very large or with a great many seats, at about noon, where we have been able straight away to fill in the health form, and on both occasions when there were a few people waiting the Hotel Manager has actually come ashore and taken a group on board, by about 12.15 or 12.30. Then into the large lounge, for welcome drinks and sandwiches etc., which I hear has been 'enhanced' with extras - no doubt to keep up with the bigger ships, which have the Colonnade open for lunch usually until 3 p.m.

But I am sure it all depends; however I would be surprised if you could not get on at 1 p.m. at the very latest.

Thanks everyone. Because we have to leave our apartment there is no hotel-style luggage storage so we really have no choice about going straight to the ship. We will be early but happy to go away to wander as long as we can leave our cases with Seabourn, which I am sure will be OK.

The puzzling thing is trumpeting the new system with better snacks etc whilst going through the photo formality etc, and adding that check-in is now earlier, then stating on our docs that actually check-in is no earlier at all!

Thanks everyone. Because we have to leave our apartment there is no hotel-style luggage storage so we really have no choice about going straight to the ship. We will be early but happy to go away to wander as long as we can leave our cases with Seabourn, which I am sure will be OK.

The puzzling thing is trumpeting the new system with better snacks etc whilst going through the photo formality etc, and adding that check-in is now earlier, then stating on our docs that actually check-in is no earlier at all!

One of Seabourn's problems is that they do not all get their act together at the same time, so conflicting advice can be given on lots of topics. However, most people concur that check-in time is now definitely before 2, and generally before 1.

One of Seabourn's problems is that they do not all get their act together at the same time, so conflicting advice can be given on lots of topics. However, most people concur that check-in time is now definitely before 2, and generally before 1.

they just told me 1230

they just told me 1230

The Odyssey will be boarding at 12:30pm in Athens on Nov 10th. Just a tip, get there fairly early say around 11:45am because the Port of Pireaus can be chaotic at times with several ships leaving at the same time and also the check-in facilities are not the best in the Terminal.

If you are boarding one of the 'Lit Sister's early and you're hungry, you can go to the Sky Bar and ask for a luncheon menu or just order a hamburger/french fries, shrimp cocktail, etc. I've done this numerous times.

Martita B

Hello Martita...I do this all the time when I embark on a little sister or if we are on a back to back the ship provides an in-transit luncheon in the Veranda Cafe from 12 noon until 1:00pm.

If you are boarding one of the 'Lit Sister's early and you're hungry, you can go to the Sky Bar and ask for a luncheon menu or just order a hamburger/french fries, shrimp cocktail, etc. I've done this numerous times.

Martita B

Negative ghostrider the pattern is... well things seem to have changed. With the new boarding time/system you are herded into the Magellan Lounge (or its equivalent) and aside from restroom breaks are essentially held there until suites are available. They do not let you wander the ship. (I am not sure what they do with those doing back to backs).

Check in time is 1230, suite availability ~1400. I'd try to get there near 1430 or 1500.

Martita B

Thanks Martita. Would you say they will let us board at 11.30am or thereabouts?

Different strokes, I guess ... I've always found the welcome on board sandwiches the dining lowpoint on any Seabourn cruise and I prefer not to sit in a lounge full of jet-lagged fellow guests and their valises. You can go to the Veranda for lunch before 1pm, but this is certainly not advertised or encouraged, and unfortunately, must be done on the sly. Seabourn needs to figure out a way to open the Restaurant for luncheon for new arrivals on the little sisters as the Veranda is not large enough to accommodate everyone.

Different strokes, I guess ... I've always found the welcome on board sandwiches the dining lowpoint on any Seabourn cruise and I prefer not to sit in a lounge full of jet-lagged fellow guests and their valises. You can go to the Veranda for lunch before 1pm, but this is certainly not advertised or encouraged, and unfortunately, must be done on the sly. Seabourn needs to figure out a way to open the Restaurant for luncheon for new arrivals on the little sisters as the Veranda is not large enough to accommodate everyone.

Their solution last month was everyone in the lounge, no escapees, er exceptions. Perhaps it would be enlightening to know exactly when some of the people who have commented here last set foot on a Seabourn ship as Seabourn's embarkation policy changed only a few months ago and it wouldn't be fair to disseminate out of date information.

I was aboard a Seabourn small ship last March/April. As to the dining room opening for lunch on embarkation day, this venue is no longer offered ~but we were not herded into the show lounge. I went in, left my carry on and jacket, then went up to the Sky Bar. I checked in when the line was short ~took 5 minutes.

I certainly hope we can "escape" from sitting in the show lounge for check in.

MB

Our first and second experiences on the big ships was of being herded into the lounge, and virtually not allowed to move. This was unpleasant, as it is very much a theatre, with no daylight, and TV news (US) being shown on a screen. Also the limited amount of food was not good. They changed this recently on the big ships, and the Colonnade is open, usually until 3, for a proper lunch. Last time we boarded, a waiter told us (as we passed through the closed main restaurant) that the Colonnade was closed. This was at about 1.30 p.m., so we tried to order room service, and told it would take half an hour. We then looked at the day's programme, and headed up to the Colonnade, where we were welcomed and had a good lunch, and it was indeed open until 3.

The main differences with the small ships is almost certainly lack of room in the Veranda cafe, but they seem to have made an effort with better food in the lounge - time will tell. We actually do not mind sitting in the lounge on the small ships, it is plenty big enough for everyone, much more sociable and comfortable, and with lots of daylight. And more waiters going round offering champagne or whatever you want!

Their solution last month was everyone in the lounge, no escapees, er exceptions. Perhaps it would be enlightening to know exactly when some of the people who have commented here last set foot on a Seabourn ship as Seabourn's embarkation policy changed only a few months ago and it wouldn't be fair to disseminate out of date information.

Embarkation procedures on the little sisters have "officially" required guests to stay in the main lounge for quite a while. The only recent change is a chef making sandwiches which, hopefully, means they are fresher. If you go to the washroom and don't come back, they will not send the hounds after you.

I have my "cardboard party box" along with my carry on, fresh flowers, etc. upon embarking (small ships) and have always gone to my suite to leave the box (a waiter carries it) and to put the flowers in water ~ Same MO this past March/April. I don't linger in the suite ~

I hope next time the the hounds don't find me at the Sky Bar!:eek:

Martita B

I have my "cardboard party box" along with my carry on, fresh flowers, etc. upon embarking (small ships) and have always gone to my suite to leave the box (a waiter carries it) and to put the flowers in water ~ Same MO this past March/April. I don't linger in the suite ~

I hope next time the the hounds don't find me at the Sky Bar!:eek:

Martita B

Martha, I think the "hounds" would be more interested in your Burger at the Sky Bar than you and your flowers...LOL

Archived