Oceania and Windstar

Love.II.Cruise

I'd like to hear opinions from those that have traveled on both these cruise lines how they compare to each other (pros/cons). What did you love about one, but hated about another?

We'll be traveling on Oceania for the first time in Nov and plan to travel on Windstar for the first time this Dec (but are thinking of changing to Oceania).

I'd like to hear opinions from those that have traveled on both these cruise lines how they compare to each other (pros/cons). What did you love about one, but hated about another?

We'll be traveling on Oceania for the first time in Nov and plan to travel on Windstar for the first time this Dec (but are thinking of changing to Oceania).

I have been on both Many times..love them both..impossible to compare as they are completely different..I wouldnt even try..they are SO different..

Jancruz1

We've sailed on both several times, and to me the biggest difference is the water sports platform on Windstar that doesn't exist on Oceania. In the Caribbean, where you want to swim in the gorgeous blue water, I cannot imagine sailing on Oceania. I want the wet landings, and easy beach access, and the sport platform of Windstar. In *most* of Europe and certainly for all larger ports, Oceania offers a more sophisticated experience. But that being said, when we were floating off Santorini on Oceania, I really really wanted to swim in that beautiful water - but there's no way to do this on Oceania, so I was craving Windstar. In Tahiti (on the Renaissance R3, later to become Oceania) the lack of opportunities to swim without expensive shore excursions was awful.

On the other hand, I've been on WindSurf for European itineraries where the watersports platform was never open due to weather and ports. I would have much preferred the more refined amenities on Oceania. So I think it all depends on the itinerary. Cruise Oceania in Europe, then take a Caribbean vacation on WindStar. You'll love them both!

We've sailed on both several times, and to me the biggest difference is the water sports platform on Windstar that doesn't exist on Oceania. In the Caribbean, where you want to swim in the gorgeous blue water, I cannot imagine sailing on Oceania.

Then there are some that would enjoy the sailing adventure of Windstar (if using sail power) & could less about swimming in the ocean

Both line have their pros & cons

It is all a personal choice ;)

I agree with Jancruz, they are so different you are not comparing apples to apples. Experience them both and then you can decide which for what you are looking for in a cruise experience.

I also agree -- they're quite different. We've been on Oceania 4 times and love it (have another booked for next spring); were on Wind Surf once and it was so-so. But in their defense, it was Jan. 2011 and Wind Star was really on the ropes financially. They've since been bought and multi-millions put into refurbishment for all 3 ships. I'd give them a try again for the right itinerary and at the right price.

• 11 months later...

Apologies for bringing back this thread from the CC morgue.... :D

Have any "O" cruisers sailed with Windstar since the Windsurf renovation was finished, and has it improved service/food etc.?? I'm looking at an itinerary in Spring 2014 in one of the Suite grades.

From the point of view of an "O" regular, what's good, and what's bad??

Here in the UK TAs know little about the line, and their bookings are handled by a general sales agent who also look after Crystal & Paul Gaugin, amongst others (a bit like "O" in Oz), so it's hard to get hold of so much as a brochure.

Any info appreciated :)

Have any "O" cruisers sailed with Windstar since the Windsurf renovation was finished' date=' and has it improved service/food etc.?? I'm looking at an itinerary in Spring 2014 in one of the Suite grades.

Here in the UK TAs know little about the line, and their bookings are handled by a general sales agent who also look after Crystal & Paul Gaugin, amongst others (a bit like "O" in Oz), so it's hard to get hold of so much as a brochure.

Any info appreciated :)[/quote']

You might get better information on the Windstar board..

Jancruz1

I will post over there' date=' but I was after a seasoned "O" cruisers point of view....:)[/quote']

We are experienced Oceania cruisers but not Windstar. However we are taking a Windsurf Caribbean cruise this December on the recommendation of my brother-in-law. He is not an experience "O" cruiser but he is the same age group and is a 'foodie'....we have eaten together many, many times. His take on a Winstar Panama Canal cruise this year was. "Cabin small but comfortable"....(we are taking a suite on Windsurf). "Very good food, well prepared, plenty of variety". "Very good service". "Mature well travelled interesting passengers, no children".

So we decided to try them for an interesting itinerary. I will report back and compare at the end of the year.

We are experienced Oceania cruisers but not Windstar. However we are taking a Windsurf Caribbean cruise this December on the recommendation of my brother-in-law. He is not an experience "O" cruiser but he is the same age group and is a 'foodie'....we have eaten together many, many times. His take on a Winstar Panama Canal cruise this year was. "Cabin small but comfortable"....(we are taking a suite on Windsurf). "Very good food, well prepared, plenty of variety". "Very good service". "Mature well travelled interesting passengers, no children".

So we decided to try them for an interesting itinerary. I will report back and compare at the end of the year.

Thanks globevest :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Have any "O" cruisers sailed with Windstar since the Windsurf renovation was finished' date=' and has it improved service/food etc.?? I'm looking at an itinerary in Spring 2014 in one of the Suite grades.

Any info appreciated :)[/quote']

Hey there! I was the original OP... and we've now sailed both Oceania and Windstar (after the renovation)! I did reviews of both (with pictures). Below is the link to our review of Windstar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1791485

Archived