Luggage and Disembarking

hannahsmomtoo

Can someone explain this to me?

We are traveling with one large suitcase and one backpack as a carryon.

My understanding is..

I arrive at Long beach.. tip a porter a couple bucks to take the suitcase and see it later that afternoon in my cabin.

At disembarkation... I expect to take my suitcase and walk off the ship.

no?

What is luggage express? Self-disembark? These are terms I am not following..

Thank you in advance...

20 days ! Woo hoooooooo !!

My understanding is..

I arrive at Long beach.. tip a porter a couple bucks to take the suitcase and see it later that afternoon in my cabin.

no?

Thank you in advance...

Luggage Express-If your air line participates you pay a $25 fee to Carnival and your airline fees. You set your luggage out at certain time and you never see it again til you get home. Good thing.

Self assist you carry your luggage off the ship.

and or, you can set your one large suitcase out your door by midnight the night before disembarkation and it will be delivered to a holding area for you to retrieve when you disembark and only carry your backpack off the ship.

Typically, the hallways and elevators are very busy and if you have to carry your big suitcase around with you and carry it up and down staircases because the elevators are just too slow.

Depends on what your motivation is to get off the ship early with self debark. Sometimes not worth the effort unless you are trying to catch an early flight, etc.

Luggage express is a great program, not available with all airlines, where you pay $20 on board the ship and get special luggage tags. Your luggage is picked up on the last night, and checked through to your airline, you don't see it again until you get home to your airport. It will be there.

Self disembark is where you don't put your luggage outside your cabin on the last night. When self disembark is called, you take your luggage yourself and get off the ship. You are one of the first to get off the ship, and you don't have to hassle with finding your luggage in the terminal.

Unless you're in a big hurry to catch a flight or just want to get on the road early, just have breakfast and relax until your zone is called, then get off and find your luggage. Try to get a porter and he will take you to a shorter line and get you through customs quicker, for a tip. There is usually a line to stand in in the terminal to get the next available porter.

You should be all prepared for your cruise with the pertinent questions you have asked on CC! Hope you really enjoy it!

Luggage express is a great program, not available with all airlines, where you pay $20 on board the ship and get special luggage tags. Your luggage is picked up on the last night, and checked through to your airline, you don't see it again until you get home to your airport. It will be there.

Self disembark is where you don't put your luggage outside your cabin on the last night. When self disembark is called, you take your luggage yourself and get off the ship. You are one of the first to get off the ship, and you don't have to hassle with finding your luggage in the terminal.

Unless you're in a big hurry to catch a flight or just want to get on the road early, just have breakfast and relax until your zone is called, then get off and find your luggage. Try to get a porter and he will take you to a shorter line and get you through customs quicker, for a tip. There is usually a line to stand in in the terminal to get the next available porter.

You should be all prepared for your cruise with the pertinent questions you have asked on CC! Hope you really enjoy it!

Thank you.. our flight isn't until MUCH later... so I don't want to get off until they remove me kicking and screaming. We have marked our luggage ( my teen bought decorative pattern ducktape..sigh) so it will be easy to find in a room full of luggage... so I will just go with the "set it outside the door" option.

Thank you all for responding !

My understanding is..

no?

Not necessarily. You will be given options to have the ship crew handle your luggage. The most common: You tell them when you want to leave the ship (between 8 and 10:30 a.m., at the latest). You'll be given colored luggage tags to match that time.

The night before your cruise is over, you'll pack, put on those tags, put your luggage outside your cabin door. The crew will pick it up. The next morning, you get off the ship when your "color"/time is announced. Upon exiting the ship you'll find your luggage -- stacked up with all the other luggage of folks getting off the ship at that time. You grab your bag(s), go through customs, and you're on your way.( You keep with you inside your cabin your carry-on and anything you absolutely must need in the morning before you exit the ship -- toiletries, medications, valuables, change of undies, whatever...)

OR: luggage express: You pay to have the crew pick up your luggage the night before, and take it directly to the airport, check it in, and then it is loaded on the plane. You get off the ship, go to the airport, fly home, and (hopefully) your luggage will be there waiting for you.

OR: self-disembark: You keep your luggage with you, and when you're ready to leave in the morning (between 8 and 10:30 a.m), you pick it up and carry it off the ship with you. A bit more awkward, depending on how much luggage you have, and remembering that with 2,000 + people leaving the ship, the elevators are usually jammed.

Thank you in advance...

Have a great time on your cruise!

I assume the luggage express charge will be in addition to the airline luggage charge. What if it is overweight? How does the airline check a bag without tickets and boarding passes. How can CCL override FAA rules on baggage? Don't you need tickets and picture ID to check a bag? Please, someone explain how this actually works.

Thank you.. our flight isn't until MUCH later... so I don't want to get off until they remove me kicking and screaming. We have marked our luggage ( my teen bought decorative pattern ducktape..sigh) so it will be easy to find in a room full of luggage... so I will just go with the "set it outside the door" option.

Thank you all for responding !

Don't bet on that. Every piece of luggage has a decorative pattern of one thing or another added to it. Just about all of them have colored flagging tape, duct tape and other marks. Lot's of them are alike. Check the name tag before you hit the door.

I assume the luggage express charge will be in addition to the airline luggage charge. What if it is overweight? How does the airline check a bag without tickets and boarding passes. How can CCL override FAA rules on baggage? Don't you need tickets and picture ID to check a bag? Please, someone explain how this actually works.

I've done Luggage Express only once. I remember reading on the documentation they provided in the cabin that if the luggage was overweight, that by entering in the "agreement" to participate in the program, you authorized them to impose the overweight fee if needed. I keep everything, so I will look for that flyer and see if I can scan it.

I carry a small luggage handheld scale, so I know how much my luggage weighs. It's not exact of course, but has always come in pretty close. Actually, most times my scale comes in a few pounds OVER the airlines scale. Always good to have a cushion! :)

Have a great cruise!

I believe when we did this, Carnival also gave us our boarding passes along with the airline luggage tags to put on the handles........ so you go straight to security when you get to the airport........WONDERFUL program and well worth the $20.00

Barb

I believe when we did this, Carnival also gave us our boarding passes along with the airline luggage tags to put on the handles........ so you go straight to security when you get to the airport........WONDERFUL program and well worth the $20.00

Barb

How would I know if luggage express was available? I've had the cruise and flights ( Southwest) booked for months and never heard of it from carnival or swa?

hannahsmomtoo: i am so excited for you! i can't wait to hear how you like your first cruise! i certainly wish i knew about CC before my first one. you should know the ropes like a pro!!

On the self disembark do you have to be one of the first off, or can you wait until later?

Self-disembark is for people who are in a hurry and want to be off the ship first to catch an early flight, taking their bags with them to avoid delays. If you're not in a hurry, you can let them take your bags down to the holding area, enjoy your last breakfast onboard and get off at your leisure or when they kick you off. Self-disembark just means you wish to carry your own bags off, most PAX wouldn't want to lug everything around, up to LIDO deck for breakfast and then back down and off the ship.

How would I know if luggage express was available? I've had the cruise and flights ( Southwest) booked for months and never heard of it from carnival or swa?

Luggage Express is not an option on Splendor.

Luggage Express

Airline and Luggage Check-In Service

Carnival offers a convenient airline and luggage check-in service to our guests at select ports and/or ships. Currently, this service is offered at the following:

Debarkation Port

Ships

Port Canaveral

Carnival Dream

Port Everglades (for FLL/MIA)

Carnival Freedom

Miami (for MIA/FLL)

Carnival Liberty / Carnival Valor / Carnival Glory

Carnival Destiny / Carnival Breeze

Tampa

Carnival Legend

Seattle

Carnival Spirit / Carnival Miracle

Rather than check in at the airport for the return flight, eligible guests may choose to participate for just a nominal fee of $20 per person in addition to baggage fees that may be required by the specific airline for checked luggage. Guests will receive both their airline boarding passes and their luggage tags while they are enjoying their vacation at sea. Better yet, they will only need to place their checked luggage outside of their stateroom and will not touch it again until they claim it at their final destination.

Applicable to all guests with proper travel documentation

Only a maximum of two bags per guest can be checked-in

Applicable on most major domestic airlines – guests will need to check on board for participating airlines as they are subject to change.

Flights must be on a participating airline, departing from the airport on the same day of debarkation

All flight destinations may be available including Canadian and International airports. Note: For ships from the homeport of Seattle, flight destinations are to the U.S. only

The Luggage Express Program cannot be used for those guests purchasing a post-cruise shore excursion.

Early in the cruise, eligible guests will receive an invitation to participate in this program. The guest must complete the registration form and sign it to authorize the fees to be charged to their Sail & Sign account and then drop it off at the Guest Services Desk. The day prior to debarkation, airline boarding passes, luggage tags along with a letter are delivered to the stateroom. Guests place the tags on the luggage that will be checked in and then place it outside their stateroom for collection. On debarkation day, participants may debark at their convenience.

The luggage will be transferred from the ship to the corresponding airline and flight. Guests must claim their bags upon flight arrival at their final destination. If there are any delays or problems with their luggage, guests need to contact the airline to report any problems.

We've used all three options (self-assist, luggage express, regular luggage debarkation) and have been pleased with all three. As another poster indicated, your desire (or lack thereof...lol) can determine which you select.

First cruise was on the Valor out of Miami. We were so nervous about screwing up that we went with the normal luggage debarkation. We set our bags out the night before and picked them up the next morning at the Port of Miami luggage carousel.

Second cruise was on the Liberty out of Miami. We tried luggage express for the first time. Set our luggage out the night before and wondered if we'd ever see it again. Fee was $20 per person plus our airlines baggage fee. When we filled out the luggage express paperwork (a few days before debarkation), we were required to know all of our flight information as well as our confirmation number. We had to open an Internet account on the ship to access the information. Lesson learned, print out my confirmation before the cruise and take it with me. After signing up for luggage express and finally gathering all the information Guest Services required, we received our luggage tags and airline boarding passes in our stateroom on the last night. We thought we'd be able to take our time getting of the ship. Not so much. Liberty's staff said Port of Miami required all Luggage Express users to debark at the same time... the butt crack of dawn. We had to meet in the theater. And of course there was a single cruiser who for the life of her couldn't be on time. So we all waited a good 30 cranky minutes before she graced us with her presence.

Third cruise was on the Paradise out of Long Beach. We tried self-assist since we were staying for another weekend. I anticipated a human zoo of people pushing and shoving to get in elevators and down the stairs. Was very pleasantly surprised to wheel our luggage to the elevator, catch the first car down to the debarkation level and queued in a very short line before hearing the sad S&S ding.

Last cruise was the Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale. We used luggage express again and this time the ship staff couldn't have cared less when we disembarked as long as we did so in a timely manner.

So far we haven't had a bad experience... if you don't count Late Lady Liberty. :rolleyes:

~ Sheryl

You sign up while on board the ship and they check you in, they verified your ID when you checked in and that is good enough for the airlines, since you will still need ID to get through security. They print the luggage tags and the boarding passes and send them to your room the night before debarkation, so you can just to to security when you get tot he airport.

participating airlines that i know of are, American, Delta, AirTrans, JetBlue, and United. They reserve the right to refuse participation. meaning you may not be able to do it..

Found this link to carnival's website.... http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/13/what-is-luggage-express-program.aspx

Hope that helps..

You sign up while on board the ship and they check you in, they verified your ID when you checked in and that is good enough for the airlines, since you will still need ID to get through security. They print the luggage tags and the boarding passes and send them to your room the night before debarkation, so you can just to to security when you get tot he airport.

participating airlines that i know of are, American, Delta, AirTrans, JetBlue, and United. They reserve the right to refuse participation. meaning you may not be able to do it..

Found this link to carnival's website.... http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/13/what-is-luggage-express-program.aspx

Hope that helps..

I think its only domestic......and not San Juan.......but we did use it on Southwest

You tip the porter, then you will see your suitcase later (ours wasn't until about 7:00 p.m.) in the HALLWAY, not your room. They do NOT deliver it in to the inside of your cabin, they lay it outside in the hallway. NOT cool, IMHO. We didn't realize that. So do not leave anything in your suitcase that you can't live without on the trip. Also, if they lose a suitcase, they only pay you $50. Period. doesn't matter how much it and the contents is worth. $50.

My understanding is..

no?

Thank you in advance...

I prefer to self disembark because I dont want to have my luggage ready at 11-12 outside my room. I am in no hurry to get off the boat. I prefer to keep my luggage in my room, eat breakfast and then self disembark. Is this possible to do?

No, the stewards need us out of the cabins very early so they can do their job getting the ship ready for turnaround. You will not be leaving your bags in the cabin and going for breakfast. You sound like a perfect candidate for a B2B so you won't have to pack nor get off at the end of your (first) leg.

You tip the porter, then you will see your suitcase later (ours wasn't until about 7:00 p.m.) in the HALLWAY, not your room. They do NOT deliver it in to the inside of your cabin, they lay it outside in the hallway. NOT cool, IMHO. We didn't realize that. So do not leave anything in your suitcase that you can't live without on the trip. Also, if they lose a suitcase, they only pay you $50. Period. doesn't matter how much it and the contents is worth. $50.

Thank God for travel insurance that covers luggage.. :)

and good to know the suitcase will be outside the room.. I will make sure camera etc. are with us in carry on.

Archived