Saguenay Transportation

If I am reading their web site correctly, the local shuttle buses from La Baie cruise dock to places like Chicoutimi stop running at the end of August. Anyone know how one gets around that port in the fall if you are not taking the cruise line's pricey shore excursions?

I contacted the tourism dept. there and she assured me the HOHO buses would be running whenever a ship is in port, even if it is after their normal season. The tourism office is right at the pier and tickets can be bought there for the HOHO.

I've been in email conversation with a councillor of Tourist Services and the Hop On Hop Off bus will be operational for cruise ship days:

Good afternoon,

Yes the Hop On / Hop Off runs on cruise day. For more detail consult our Web site saguenay.ca then click on the tab : «International cruise» on the upper right of your screen and then click on «Passengers services» you'll get there all the details of activities available directly at the pier.

If more detail are necessary please feel free to contact me again.

Here's the actual webpage with info:

http://tourisme.saguenay.ca/en/croisieres-internationales/services-aux-passagers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One goes to Chicoutimi and the other stays around la Baie. You can buy your tix at the port bldg and they'll give you the schedule as well as guide brochure so you can pick where and when you want to get on and off. We thought the Fjord museum was really interesting.

They brought in big buses too so there was no trouble getting rides. It's a great inexpensive way to see the area. Much better than booking on the ship.

Edited by eandj

One goes to Chicoutimi and the other stays around la Baie. You can buy your tix at the port bldg and they'll give you the schedule as well as guide brochure so you can pick where and when you want to get on and off. We thought the Fjord museum was really interesting.

They brought in big buses too so there was no trouble getting rides. It's a great inexpensive way to see the area. Much better than booking on the ship.

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to doing this.

• 1 year later...
Pandataylor, do you have any information you could give me on the floatplane? We will be in Saguenay on 1 October 2014 and this sounds like an excellent way to see the area.

The seaplanes company mentioned on the Saguenay Tourism website is: Seaplanes Air Saguenay. Here is the link:

http://Http://www.airsaguenay.com/

The site seems to be angling for bookings which may be a good way to go - or not depending on the weather. We strolled off the ship and there they were taking bookings for the sightseeing flight around the fiord so immediastely booked it, went and hired a car for 24 hours, and then went back for our flight. We were fortunate as in the afternoon the flights ceased as the bay had become too choppy.

Given the vastness of Canada it was well worth getting up high to see the countryside and houses and farms but essentially how the scenery kept repeating itself into the far distance. I think that for many folks the share size of the wilderness is quite a shock particularly for Europeans.

The car was nice and cheap and we had a small drive in the afternoon south to a local park with a good visitor centre and the following long day we drove down to the mouth of the fiord and back up the other side. A long journey if you stop off for meals and views but well worth it.

Given cruise ships seem to come in and leave at night you get much more shore time than virtually anywhere else.

This is sounding more and more like a good option. We are scheduled to get into port at 8am so maybe we'll check out the flight options first thing. It's probably a little more money than we'd like to spend but what the heck! Maybe I'll never get this chance again!

I believe it was $50 Canadian and fgiven it included a ride in a world-famous aircraft the De Havilland Beaver, roughly as old as me, and it was a float-plane ...... Lots of good reasons to go : )